Project 1999

Project 1999 (/forums/index.php)
-   Blue Server Chat (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Log Parsers. Final Verdict? (/forums/showthread.php?t=194257)

Poeskas 05-20-2015 11:31 AM

Log Parsers. Final Verdict?

Recently, log parsers were discussed on Sirken's stream (At the beginning of this video). In this case, we're talking about Gamtext, etc, and map generators to a lesser extent. I know log parsers have been discussed before on numerous occasions and generally dismissed as acceptable since they don't read or modify game memory. But, in the stream I linked above, Sirken has said they may try to ban them in the future. Can we get some kind of confirmation on this rule change? Is Gamtext banned from now on? For the record, I don't use log parsers of any kind these days (not even Gamparse), especially after watching that stream.

Thulack 05-20-2015 12:28 PM

Lol to sirken saying they may try to ban log parsers. No they arent illegal and the day they are made illegal is the day you might aswell quit p99 cause everyone will have gone mad.

curtischoy 05-20-2015 12:31 PM

How could they even see a program that simply parses my log file? if they could do that couldn't they then see basically anything on my computer?

Also, shit's classic.

Thulack 05-20-2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtischoy (Post 1899635)
How could they even see a program that simply parses my log file? if they could do that couldn't they then see basically anything on my computer?

Also, shit's classic.

They can see anything you are running on your PC. Its how they find hacks or know if you are boxing on the same PC.

Daldaen 05-20-2015 12:32 PM

GamParse and GamText triggers they won't ban.

They just want to ban Log readers that actively plot your point on a map.

Which you wouldn't be able to do in classic because you only had 1 chat window and 1 hot button page, so you couldn't spam it with /loc every second otherwise you couldn't see anything! Plus no alt tabbing and such.

evilkorn 05-20-2015 01:27 PM

I could see them snifing for the audio trigger exe and the mapping softwares. It just depends on how strict they want to be. It's really out of our control. We hear the same thing every time there is a change that was in the game for us that we got used to and got taken out.

Personally I don't think they impact the game from a PvE standpoint, but I can see it being imbalanced for maybe outdoor PvP knowing where you are exactly against another. Even then people generally safe and aware of where they are most of the time.

tristantio 05-20-2015 01:33 PM

To me it seems like log parsing is classic (although Norrath Map overlay is taking it a step further).

evilkorn 05-20-2015 01:51 PM

The problem I have with calling 3rd party software classic is hacking, so I try not to use that term for the discussion.

Poeskas 05-20-2015 02:42 PM

It would be nice to have some official ruling on this, here on the p99 forums.

Thulack 05-20-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poeskas (Post 1899894)
It would be nice to have some official ruling on this, here on the p99 forums.

GM's hate to give "official" rulings to anything. They rather just watch the chaos ensue and deal with it later.