Thread: Name Changes
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The in game behavior and forums behavior has been atrocious. However it goes far beyond the vitriol aimed at guides and it's not just the bombardment of petitions filed by "helpers" to "purge the immersion killing names" at the guides.

It's the overall total lack of empathy on behalf of the players who have tormented their fellow players who lost their names which they felt great emotional attachment to.

I said it from the beginning, it wasn't cool and I stand by that. Why torment and aggravate the situation more? Because "it's fun to torment people when they are angry" is the response I got. Really guys? This is sad.

If I understand clearly, a new technology is being used that grants a wider view of names in the game. Names have been viewed under higher scrutiny since using this newer technology and so names have subsequently been wiped now that they are being recognized easier and faster.

Llandris, why couldn't this have been shared earlier and thus perhaps some of the storm could have been managed easier once it began? If players had understood that names could possibly be getting wiped, names that were established for years I only can think it might have helped some if they had a warning.

Sure, some people would rage no matter what, but a great many people would have done better with a warning ahead of time instead of letting them find out by logging in and seeing their names wiped and replaced by a generic name of others choosing.

Anyway, we actually lost some longtime veteran players due to this, perhaps they will be back maybe not. Those who say names mean nothing need to understand that names mean nothing to them, but to others a character's name means a lot.
Sorry dad
This isn't rocket science people: if your name clearly means something non-Everquest-related when most people see it, it doesn't belong. If your name is the same as something obscure that most people have never heard of, it's fine.: