Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Default ClassicQuest: Funeral for the Fallen

Was doing some ClassicQuest and came across this post from an old school EQ funeral for someone that died in real life. I could kind of sense the emotion that must have been there for the people that knew this individual. Also can imagine how awe-inspiring the service must have been to see, especially at night.

Just thought I'd share:

Quote:
Normally, I don't get too emotional over stuff in Norrath,but this was an exception.
I was minding my own business late last night soloing some birdies in LakeRathe when I came upon a small guild holding a funeral for one of theirguildmates. (It was located on the island with the bonfire.) I wish I couldremember the guild and the name of the fallen.

From what I could discern (I dared not interrupt), the guildmate was killed inRL in a horrible car/plane accident. Since it would have been supremely hardfor them to all attend a RL memorial, they held it in Norrath. His corpse wasthere (Human paladin, full plate), and the guild (45-50 people) was assembledin a circle. Prayers were read, memories were reflected on, and in general itwas really touching.

But what I thought was the most emotional was a silent 21 firebolt salute from7 of the guilds wizards. they all stood atop a rocky crag, and simultaneouslylet loose with three 7-bolt volleys across the zone of Lake Rathe. They wereall sent in the same direction, and all 21 bolts were visible for about 5seconds.

A guide/gm was then summoned, who placed the corpse in the fire and thenremoved the character. I guess it was about as close to cremation or a funeralpyre as norrath can get.

It was quite a sight to see, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a pangof emotion throughout the whole event.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Banned

yeah this happened in WoW too
Old 01-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Planar Protector

IIRC WoW actually added an in-game memorial for one fan who died.

EDIT: Actually I didn't realize, apparently they have done several: http://www.wowhead.com/a-guide-to-in-game-memorials

And while they're not dead yet, P99 does have its own "memorials of" (tributes to) staff members:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Plane_of...Tribute_Island

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 01-11-2018 at 02:50 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

There was a memorial NPC for a dead guide in the CSHome zone. We were told that attacking or/killing her was an instant ban.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Flowers did 1 of these to gr8 fanfaire & success on a deceased player named Jantz in WoW ca 2005. Unfortunately relevant picture story has been lost to time because Fansy is upset about Donald J. Trump

just flexin
Old 01-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Banned

Fansy is a sad person for me to contemplate
Old 01-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Banned

i always found the barrens shrine touching and visited it many times out of nerd r spect
Old 01-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Kobold

When I was playing LoTRO, we could even do player played music, and had musical instruments. We had two members of our guild die IRL, and since we were then (and still are), the Blackheart Pirates, we had an in-game funeral, and at the end of the service, the bagpipes played Amazing Grace as the commanding officer read the conclusion of the Service for the Dead at Sea. No dry eyes that day.

Tpar Darkstar
a/k/a Aceart Earthbender
Blackheart Pirates - Project 1999
Commanding
------------------------------------------
Tpar - 60 Cleric
Aceart - 58 Druid
Darusk - 60 Necromancer
Old 01-11-2018, 11:07 PM
Fire Giant

This wasn't necessarily an in-game thing, but a friend of mine in high school died in a car wreck when he was 16. A picture of his in game druid, Asterson, was placed at his funeral at the church service next to other actual pictures of him. He was a good kid.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 PM
Planar Protector

it was prob some RP action