Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Planar Protector

Default Building a Computer?

Wondering around how much it would cost to build a computer that could run several of the adobe suite programs (At once, usually), and would have p. good graphics for gamez and such.

I don't need/want/can't afford a leet machine, but I am really sick of having to rely on campus computers because my laptop won't run the adobe suite well.

Any thoughts? Are pre-built machines really that bad? I'm not very techy so I assumed that would probably just be the easiest way. If so, any links to any machines?

thx thx thx.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Truth Send a message via AIM to Truth Send a message via MSN to Truth Send a message via Yahoo to Truth

about a grand for p goog

like double that for leet gaming laptop
Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Kobold

apple.com/store
Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Banned

You should be able to put together a machine that can handle this for around $1,000. Just make sure you get a LOT of memory, and a pretty decent graphics card/processor. I would also probably pick up an SSD to load the OS/programs and work with, especially if you plan on doing any video editing from your local HD.

Pre-built machines are just a rip off. You can generally build a far superior system to what you would buy pre-built for a lot cheaper.

P.S. To the poster above me: What the hell is with that annoying signature??
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by lululalana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
apple.com/store
/puke

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P.S. To the poster above me: What the hell is with that annoying signature??
IT'S KAT GIRL, LEAVE HER ALONE, SHES COOL.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 12-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

A quick google search has led me to this: http://www.katgirlstudio.com/

and this: http://girlandkat.blogspot.com/

aaaaand... this:
Quote:
Cutting it fine
One morning I looked in the mirror and realised something profound:

I looked like a hedgehog.

For me, the state of my hair is a step function; everything is just fine until EXPLODING SPINY HEDGEPIGS! It's really not. This is probably more a reflection of my tolerance level than the actual process of hairstyle degradation but then, I only got furniture a couple of weeks ago so I think I can be forgiven for having my mind on other matters.

There was also the fact that I could see a trip to the salon going horribly and awfully wrong. For a start, I wasn't yet at the stage where I could have a remotely useful conversation about such a topic in Japanese. I knew the word for 'cut' and for 'hair' but that much was probably deducible from my presence in the shop. I suspected that, even with a photo, any hairdresser would feel anxious about wielding items with (quickly) irreversible effects without more than optimistic finger snipping motions from their client.

Then there was the fact that my hair wasn't typical of the local population. Quite how different Asian and Western hair was for a stylist was a mystery. I wouldn't have thought my hair was particularly tricky; it has a slight wave and a cowslick but it's not a pile of tight ringlets. Still, since I had yet to meet the Japanese pop star of my dreams, I hadn't had the opportunity to run my fingers through other locks to find out.

Being as it was the beginning of December, I could have gritted my teeth for another few weeks and just had it cut in the UK. However, this did not really seem like a long-term solution. Instead, I sent a message to a fellow Sapporo blogger who was originally from South Africa. She had an inviting button on her website labelled 'Ask' which was probably designed to instigate insightful questions such as 'What are your views on the Japanese economy?' or 'Is teaching abroad challenging?' or maybe 'Do you miss zebras?'. What she got from me was 'Do you know of an English speaking hairdresser in Sapporo?' Mundane but oh, what an amazingly affirmative answer! I made an appointment the following weekend and a mental note to ask about zebras later.

Rie from 'Earth' salon trained in London and had lived there for ten years. She was therefore fluent in English, used to Western hair and knew some aspects of the Japanese hairdressing experience would take me by surprise. Like the fact they cover your face with a towel while they wash your hair. Had she not warned me, I might have taken that rather personally.

After the shampoo came a massage. This wasn't just a scalp rub during the wash, but a head, neck and shoulder kneading that lasted about ten minutes. To be honest, I wasn't wearing the best sweater for this; it was a thick white fleece that the girl performing the massage declared was 'fuwa-fuwa', a Japanese onomatopoeia (read: peculiar sound) used for all things furry.

"Have you heard of Reiki?" Rie asked me when she returned. "People say it's Japanese, but we've never heard of it! Reiki?" she asked the girl massaging my shoulders. She got a completely blank look in return. "See?"

Rie took over and began to cut my hair. "When I first moved to London," she told me. "I was too scared to go to a salon because I didn't speak English at the time. Did you feel the same?"

... was there something about my current hair style that suggested the answer to this might be yes?

Rie told me that not only is Asian hair a very different texture from my own Caucasian strands but also the head shape is distinct, being typically flatter at the back. This makes the cut a significantly tailored process. She took a brief note of my photo but then went her own direction, sweeping my hair towards the front. I went slightly cross-eyed as a lock fell between by eyes. She gave it a trim.

"Your hair doesn't want to fall in a parting, it wants to go in a swirl."

I hoped this wasn't a new bodily commentary about the state of my life.

At the end of the cut, I was offered another rinse, but since everything had been beautifully styled I declined. Peaking in the mirror on the way out, I thought the result was slightly Asian.... you know, in a blond haired, blue eyed, pointy nosed sort of way. Maybe it will help with my language skills. Beats talking to a hedgehog in any case.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wasn't being literal, I think I heard someone call it that on IRC or something. meh.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannacore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wondering around how much it would cost to build a computer that could run several of the adobe suite programs (At once, usually), and would have p. good graphics for gamez and such.

I don't need/want/can't afford a leet machine, but I am really sick of having to rely on campus computers because my laptop won't run the adobe suite well.

Any thoughts? Are pre-built machines really that bad? I'm not very techy so I assumed that would probably just be the easiest way. If so, any links to any machines?

thx thx thx.
First things first we would need to know the specs of your laptop. Assuming your running any version of Windows operating system...

right click your My Computer icon and go to properties. Write down the information such as CPU , Memory, Operating system.

Then click on start, Run and type in DXDIAG and enter. Hit yes or no to check against microsoft drivers , doesnt matter.

Go to the Display section and tell us what graphics your system is using.

This will give us a better idea of why adobe won't run on your system and it might be more beneficial to upgrade your ram / os / system instead of having you dump $1K into a new system.

Memory is stupid cheap these days, you can easily put 4gb into a system for around $100 - 200 and stop a bottleneck that is in your system.

But like I mentioned above, Until we know what your working with, we can only blindly point you in the direction of the most elite computers available.

- Kab
Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would also probably pick up an SSD to load the OS/programs and work with, especially if you plan on doing any video editing from your local HD.
This x 1000

also, keep in mind the cost of the OS if you are planning on using Windows expect to pay a few hundred for it and the SSD is a few hundred as well for a decently sized drive. You will probably end up getting a HDD along with it to store stuff because SSDs are rather small these days. If you are hoping to do a dual PCIe video card setup keep in mind the price for two cards (and go with NVIDIA not ATI, I've had so many issues with them over the years)