Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:42 AM
Fire Giant

Default playing a monk who doesnt pull

thinking of starting a monk since it's easy to twink/solo

i really just want to dps or tank in groups, too much effort to pull. if i refuse to pull, am i going to be blacklisted or hated by group members? any monks out there who never pulls and still getting invites to groups?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:08 AM
Planar Protector

You could probably get away with not pulling until your 30s but eventually groups are going to expect you to pull. Monks are excellent at it.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 02-08-2018, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You could probably get away with not pulling until your 30s but eventually groups are going to expect you to pull. Monks are excellent at it.
Monks are actually not excellent at it anymore. Content exists that requires it within the raid scene but for standard group pulling after the sneak/fd nerf, any class that can harmony/lull performs better.

The time it takes to fd split content is time wasted unless the content REQUIRES you to split it.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 02-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks are actually not excellent at it anymore. Content exists that requires it within the raid scene but for standard group pulling after the sneak/fd nerf, any class that can harmony/lull performs better.

The time it takes to fd split content is time wasted unless the content REQUIRES you to split it.
Even when split pulling was a thing I almost preferred to pull on my Bard because

1) Eye of Zomm Helm (more of a gimmick really, but can keep singing mana song and pull simultaneously so it works even though PITA). Places like SolB it works well.

2) Selos

3) Lul/mez

Shadow Knight can snare split now. Problem is FD has a long recast so when it f#cks up you are probably going to die. That's why necro has never really been a "pull" class because the FD fail rate/recast makes it an insta gib usually on a room break.

Monk definitely has a place, but its pretty hard to beat Bard IMO. Only reason Bards get a break is because the casters all want mana song pumping non stop.

Enchanters are excellent pullers if it wasn't for needing to sit to med. Chanters can break rooms better than anyone though.

I have actually got pretty good at pulling Mistmoore castle on my Druid, way more effective than it ever was on my monk
Last edited by Spyder73; 02-08-2018 at 12:29 PM..
Old 02-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

A good Necromancer should keep Harmshield up to help survive feign fails, and a really good one might also carry various heal or invulnerability click items. Due to Death Peace, level 60 Shadow Knights make excellent pullers nowadays, and Blood Ember legs can help wealthy Shadow Knights from 45-onward. That being said, snare-splitting works easily and reliably but it isn't particularly quick. Monks generally get the job done more quickly than I can on my Shadow Knight, even if Monks require more finesse now than they used to.

Most groups and guilds won't want a Monk who doesn't perform his primary job (pulling). Of course, you don't need most guilds to accept the non-pulling Monk; you only need one. Pick-up groups might be spotty even if you join as a non-pulling second Monk. If the first one leaves, guess who they'll look at for pulling? As with Warriors who don't want to be tanks or Clerics who don't want to be main healers and other cases of a player wanting to focus on a class's secondary jobs, it's best to do this type of thing if you have friends to group with in advance.

Danth
Old 02-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Planar Protector

Play a warrior?
Old 02-09-2018, 05:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Play a warrior?
already have one
Old 02-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Sarnak

Lots of monks in the high end raiding game who doens't pull and are terrible at it. You will be just fine standing in a corner and pretending to be a plant.

A+ sir, keep up been a scrub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
It is not a server that allows you to just show up and press the "free loot" button, and it's not a server that rewards you for simply existing.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Sarnak

I stopped playing my monk just because of this, I don't like pulling but feel guilty not doing it in group settings especially when there are no other pulling monks in the group, you probably wont be blacklisted or hated, but you certainly are not playing the class to it's fullest potential which may put some people off, you also may have to add "LFG 50 monk (non-pulling)" to your LFG line just to avoid confusion when you get to a group and won't do it, might make it hard to find group. It's not that much effort to pull but I don't get any enjoyment out of it personally.

Amualia - Level 59 Dark-Elf Cleric
Maruki - Level 23 Iksar BONEKNIGHT
Lorelai - Level 54 High-Elf Enchanter
Old 02-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Fire Giant

My monk is mainly bandaging in groups. Most of the people are happy with that. Pulling is not necessary when you know how to play
Closed Thread