Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Aviak

Default Shaman in a trio: ogre vs troll?

In a trio where the shaman may have to offtank at times, which would be preferable? My friend insists on ogre for the stun immunity, however it doesn't actually protect against spell interrupts from combat, correct? I think troll would be the right choice, since hp regen is basically mana regen for a shaman.

How much does ogre stun immunity really protect against spell interrupts? Does torpor truly make racial regen "obsolete"? I mean, more mana regen is always good, right?
Last edited by iRFNA; 07-11-2013 at 08:30 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Planar Protector

A slowed mob will bash once every 32 seconds and miss a good deal of those. Troll is going to be superior in a trio most of the time, especially leveling up. The only place where stun immunity really shines is soloing hard mobs, and I'd personally take the extra regen over it.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Fire Giant

Having leveled a Troll to 20 then an Ogre to 37, I noticed a huge difference when I re-rolled for Stun Immunity. Your spells don't get interrupted on a non-stun bash, they just *have a chance to*, which isn't very often. In fact I can't remember the last time it happened.

Torpor (if you ever get it) does make regen nearly obsolete. Or atleast not nearly as important.

Troll Regen is still great tho if you are going untwinked. If you have a Regen item of any sort, Ogre pulls way ahead.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Troll v Ogre discussion beaten to death. Race for shaman doesn't matter much, although on red ogre is probably a wiser choice.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlvarex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having leveled a Troll to 20 then an Ogre to 37, I noticed a huge difference when I re-rolled for Stun Immunity. Your spells don't get interrupted on a non-stun bash, they just *have a chance to*, which isn't very often. In fact I can't remember the last time it happened.

Torpor (if you ever get it) does make regen nearly obsolete. Or atleast not nearly as important.

Troll Regen is still great tho if you are going untwinked. If you have a Regen item of any sort, Ogre pulls way ahead.
I agree with the above.

On Fippy (one of SOE's progression servers) I leveled up a troll shm, and the regen + snare neck were quite nice. In my 40s I saved up bought a fungi (they were like 15k on that server), which was heavenly combined with troll regen. However, once I got torpor, the Fungi was nearly pointless and I quickly replaced it. Torpor is a complete game changer. A few months later I bought a race change potion and switched to ogre, which did make a noticeable difference in high end encounters.

TL;DR - IMO trolls have an advantage in leveling and ogres have an advantage high end.

P.S. Iksars look the coolest and Barbs level the fastest.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Aviak

So is this advice actually for a trio or more about soloing? The shaman will always be in our trio, never soloing.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRFNA [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So is this advice actually for a trio or more about soloing? The shaman will always be in our trio, never soloing.
Group, trio, or solo my advice is the same.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

If you look at the shamans who either a) placed in the BOTB or b) achieved solo artist GM status you have Svenn (barbarian), Orruar (barbarian), Jeremy (barbarian), Zagum (troll) and Klubba (troll).

Conclusion: it doesn't matter.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you look at the shamans who either a) placed in the BOTB or b) achieved solo artist GM status you have Svenn (barbarian), Orruar (barbarian), Jeremy (barbarian), Zagum (troll) and Klubba (troll).

Conclusion: Barbarian and Troll are better than Ogre.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Aviak

I think Ogre is the way to go, that way if you die, at least you have a funny looking death..

But really I think Ogre is the way to go, because of the stats, Who has the most health out of the four? Ogre. Which means when you get Canny mana isn't going to so much an issue. Once you get high enough health regen, and upper Canni's won't matter if you have Troll or Ikky regen. Plus Troll Ikky have a 5% exp penalty over Ogre. So with an ogre, I would split the Points between stam and wis. Either way Stam will max out fast with the right gear, making for a huge canny pool.

Have fun no matter what you choose.
Closed Thread