Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

Anyone who thinks Classic EQ1 had a "look/feel like a possible alternate world" is as blind as a freaking bat (either literally or figurativelly). Classic EQ1 was nothing but cartoony figures in extremely awkward and unnatural poses. People don't look like that. People don't move like that. It didn't prevent me from enjoying it; heck, it probably contributed to why I loved it.

EQN isn't much different.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Kobold

I see so much whining already, while they only have revealed a few features of the gameplay which is extremely likely to evolve, so let's look at what you crybabies are whining about, which is if I understand right, the "unforgiveness" of EQ1:

- Death xp penalties : We still don't know how death is handled in EQN

- Resurection post death : no info either

- Faction : they did say they were going to have a game where every action of yours counts and has a consequence, I guess a part of that is faction, and so there's a chance you'll be kos to many NPC's depending on what you chose to kill.

- traveling : In EQ1 a huge part of the unforgiveness was traveling which was mostly on foot, and at lower speed than monsters, with no map. It does seem they have given a big importance to traveling on foot judging by the features they introduced such as sliding, special jumps and using powers to move thru obstacles.
Besides, the real "3dimensional" aspect of it with being able to fall underground or end up in caves, having to "dig" thru walls, might add up a feeling of adventure to it.

- Instancing : we already know the outdoors isn't instanced at all. We have yet no information as to instanced dungeons.

Overall, we have no real base to criticize EQN as to wether or not its going to be "unforgiving" and "EQ1 like".
What we do know is that its going to introduce tons of stuff, in fact the good stuff from other MMO's such as public questing, but taking it to another level, destructability, or being able to build all your own stuff and modify the landscape.
EQN seems to want to offer a lot of sandbox tools to the player, which is exactly the opposite of WoW, which is a themepark MMO.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Planar Protector

I was gonna edit this for contextual grammar, but... this thread already sucks enough so I figure it fits as is.

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 08-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Skeleton

It's funny that most of you criticize me with sentences such as "you liked EQ? the graphics suck"| or it "wasn't hard at all!" Then I see you posting on a P1999 forum. Essentially, the version of the game that is the MOST HARDCORE MMORPG currently available.
Why? You should be playing GW2/WoW instead?

Wow what a crime I have committed!!!

Like many thousands of players, I have watched the developpers promote "What made EQ great! Was X"(even on their SOE live introduction) then to find out none of it is actually in the new game.

Every single person who has attacked me sounds like a WoW player. Not even a basic minimum of respect. It is necessary to attack me because I am sharing my opinion and you dislike it? No.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who thinks Classic EQ1 had a "look/feel like a possible alternate world" is as blind as a freaking bat
EQN isn't much different.

Nobody ever said it looked like REAL LIFE. But there are tons of people who wish to relive the glory days where they FELT LIKE it was a genuine alternate reality, it actually felt like you were part of something. This is indisputable.

Why so quick to attack and insult someone? You dislike the comment but you can be an adult about it no?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quit whining.

I'm sharing my opinion, what are you going to do about it except act tough on the internet? Quit being a coward! We all know you don't act this way in your real life.
Last edited by 2flare; 08-05-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli Pops [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone's butthurt about EQNext reveal.

qft

Also, a dude.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Sarnak

So many good responses in here, Bravo!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Kobold

Both sides of this argument are bunk. The game, regardless of its features moves the genre forward. What your grand vision is and what the genre's vision is are different, unfortunately. I too enjoy a hard, unforgiving, Gritty game - sometimes though we are not the demographic the developers are looking at.

If you don't like something, dont buy it. Money talks in the sense that when people don't like what they play they stop playing it and stop paying for it.

Case and point: Warcraft doesn't boast it's 11 million subscriptions (source: http://wow.joystiq.com/tag/wow-subscriber-numbers/ ) this tells me, as a general consumer - that people just aren't buying the same ol' song an dance anymore.

You can't deny that World of Warcraft has changed the genre; either for good or bad. The companies are driven by money - but then again who isn't?

EQNext is a vehicle to hopefully push us into the next generation of gaming. In my opinion every game put out always has that potential. Will it happen? who knows - so far, they've introduced a few things I'm excited about (navigating the world via parkour, destructible environments, no level system) and things I'm terrified about (multi-class system makes it easy to simply solo and not need other players, cartoonish models, the unknown UI system, the perversion of the world/lore just like Everquest Online Adventures with the only thing in common are names)

At this time I believe it's a little early to have all hopes crushed. I think they have a few solid ideas that are going to be great depending on implementation. Once again the best way to tell the developers how you feel is with your dollar.

Once more into the breach dear friends, Donkey punch the night away.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam 1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm actually pretty butt hurt.

Waiting forever for this EQ Next thing and find out that its WoW sandbox style.
With the crafting of mines and forced public questing!

The level of self-infatuation in SOE's presentations is absolutely corny. Gawd I hope EQ Next really is the next Jesus game, but I'll be damned if they don't pull a GW2.
Closed Thread