Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

luclin was the embrace of BIG force raiding in earnest...probably hitting its height at the rathe council in pop. if you were a raider, luclin was a ton of content for you and your best 70 or so raiding friends.

i loved it. lore-wise it was hit or miss. the whole story line was weird and unfinished. in the end it was all about end game zone loot, much more so than any previous expansion.

at least in kunark folks were somewhat aware of the ring of scale and in velious folks had some understanding of the war between giants and dragons...luclin had a story, but i challenge most folks to explain it without looking it up.

Vex Thal...maybe the most boring end game raid zone ever. compared to ST, ntov, vp, and even ssraa (also in luclin) it was just not good content. giant zone filled with tedious high hp mobs and bosses. the greatest risk was falling asleep 8 hours into the clear and wiping.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Aviak

I found ssra to be the most fun I had in Luclin, although the expac in general was utter shit.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Luclin ended up being a really solid expansion - it just sucked at first. Anyhow, long post incoming.

I'd go as far as to say the modrod change was the greatest change to raiding in EQ's history. If you have never raided Velious or Luclin before the change - you basically have magicians face a wall and throw 100s of modrods to the floor so the CHeal rotating clerics never go OOM as your DPS autoattacks whatever bad dude that can't possibly kill your tank getting CHealed every 2 seconds. Post rod change, everything got huge HP nerfs and modrods received a cooldown.

Bazaar > EC. I guess there's some people that enjoy the people aspect of EC, but I liked being able to PvP (arena in bazaar) while buying/selling. I enjoyed being able to leave a second account online selling stuff, but I'm someone who would rather play outside of EC.

The whole cats on the moon thing is overblown since Shar Vhal is way the fuck in the middle of no where. I think I went there twice over my entire course of EQ live.

The spires shrinked the world, but using them was still far less desirable than getting a port. It took up to 30 minutes to go from one limited destination to another.

Like every expansion, itemization was fucked at first, but ended up being great. The AC/HP/Mana difference between Luclin and Velious was very small, but the difference was focus effects, more available ATK gear, and more FT gear. Basically, gear became a lot more attractive for non-tanks. Contrast this to Kunark where I choose to gear my 5th alt over my main because a Crude Stein at 20pp is 95% as effective as an Insignia Protector at 150k.

The concept of elemental and bane damage is interesting, but never fully realized. Elemental damage was generally regarded as 1/3rd as effective as weapon damage; however, the aggro per swing of elemental damage is the same as weapon damage. In other words, they could have made proc-less weapons desirable by tanks but not DPS.

Luclin started to modernize raids. You started to see encounters that weren't just a hitbox with an AOE. I posted about this before, but I think the reason Velious encounters are so well received compared to the more complex Luclin encounters has to do with the NPC models being the same and the bleaker environment. If you're not sold on that idea, go look at how well Gates of Discord was received from an aesthetic standpoint.

SSra Temple was one of the better raid zones EQ ever put out. Every encounter there was quality with the exception of Xerkizh the Creator who was basically a Velious-era fight carried over.

I never did Acrylia 1.0 outside of the Ring of Fire and Burrower. Ring of Fire was an amazing fight when it actually worked. I think only Ring of Valor ever ended up doing Inner Acrylia. There was the whole Grimling War raid that never got done much until EQmac years later.

Vex Thal was a huge disappointment outside of the loot. I'll give this point up to the Luclin haters. So. much. trash. The zone was pretty, the loot was awesome, and blinding Eoms were hilarious, but still a piece of shit zone.

Toward the end of Velious, you started to see a return to groupable gear not being terrible with the revamp of Chardok. This continued in Luclin and probably culminated with the revamp of Cazic Thule. Cazic Thule post-revamp was fucking awesome as an exp zone.

AAs give people progression outside of gear (raiding).

And for the first time in EQ's history, the developers tried to give a fuck about balance. Druids become ok again, rangers stop sucking, paladins get something to do on raids, mages stop being vending machines, necros become a real DPS class, wizards stop sucking in sustained fights, etc.

Luclin, fuck yeah.
Last edited by pasi; 08-11-2013 at 02:07 PM..
Old 08-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin started to modernize raids. You started to see encounters that weren't just a hitbox with an AOE. I posted about this before, but I think the reason Velious encounters are so well received compared to the more complex Luclin encounters has to do with the NPC models being the same and the bleaker environment. If you're not sold on that idea, go look at how well Gates of Discord was received from an aesthetic standpoint.
I'm sure Nilbog considers Velious the end of P1999, but personally I think it would be fun to add some of the zones from later expacs (with mobs and itemization appropriately retuned).
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 08-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

dunno I wish they'd keep going on servers or @ least red and let u transfer off to a "perma classic" server or some shit to give us something to do. You can keep that perma classic museum server for antiquity as a testament to classic EQ and what not, I don't see what harm is done by enabling other stuff on the "non supported" non classic server or what not. /shrug
Old 08-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Planar Protector

Forgot to mention Grieg's End - the most atmospheric zone in SoL-era EQ.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Luclin started to modernize raids.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Kobold

i liked luclin as well, I loved pop raid content, but pok really did change eq for the worse imo. put velious and luclin on this server and stop there [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Planar Protector

Planes of Power was the best expansion I have played in any game ever just my opinion, I don't get all the crying about books, if you were level 60+ you were in the new content who cared that you could click to Grobb and shit that you never went to anyway?
Old 08-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Planes of Power was the best expansion I have played in any game ever just my opinion, I don't get all the crying about books, if you were level 60+ you were in the new content who cared that you could click to Grobb and shit that you never went to anyway?
It shrank the world a lot imo.. changed the whole feel, it seemed to be more of a real world before hand.. now just click click and you are now on the opposite side of the world. the books are part of the reason why people want a classic type server I think.
Closed Thread