Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Aviak

As far as my server went, we didn't really have Gm interaction UNLESS someone was committing banable/suspendable offenses.(ks, train, ninja etc...) Steam rolling happened, but that was just the nature of the game. A lot of players were unhappy but ultimately things worked themselves out.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Developer

GMs usually only intervened when KSing was happening on raid mobs that I saw.

GMs did nothing about leapfrogging. Only if disruptions were involved such as training or other types of harassment.

Raids were always about mobilizing the fastest. First to engage, start the event, etc., get the mob.

Haynar
Old 08-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Sarnak

Happened all the time on Xegony. Leapfrog, trains, pretty much anything that could happen, did. We had a special group of folks on Xegony that felt entitled to do anything they wanted. I don't think an answer was ever found until the game was big enough that it just didn't matter any more.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKromwell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Happened all the time on Xegony. Leapfrog, trains, pretty much anything that could happen, did. We had a special group of folks on Xegony that felt entitled to do anything they wanted. I don't think an answer was ever found until the game was big enough that it just didn't matter any more.
Being from Xegony, it is not that it didn't happen, but there were very few times that GMs would intervene. Leapfrogging was never one of them. As there got to be fewer GMs around, having one intervene was even more difficult.

But back on topic ... I have never seen any intervention due to leapfrogging.

Haynar
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
GMs usually only intervened when KSing was happening on raid mobs that I saw.

GMs did nothing about leapfrogging. Only if disruptions were involved such as training or other types of harassment.

Raids were always about mobilizing the fastest. First to engage, start the event, etc., get the mob.

Haynar
Much like Haynar's experience, this is how it was on Rodcet Pre-Luclin. I remember being pissed that my guild was letting our rivals (Forsaken) go after emp since it was their 'turn'.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being from Xegony, it is not that it didn't happen, but there were very few times that GMs would intervene. Leapfrogging was never one of them. As there got to be fewer GMs around, having one intervene was even more difficult.

But back on topic ... I have never seen any intervention due to leapfrogging.

Haynar
There are some scripted encounters that could cause major problems with leapfrogging in the future. I wish it hadn't had to be that way, but I'm sure it will come up again. If guild A kills Statue (spawns AoW), and another guild pulls that AoW, it isn't quite the same as leapfrogging past trash. Same with Taskmasters and the Cursed cycle in Luclin.

There was a situation on Terris where a guild had cleared all the way to creator while another guild was attempting a different target - but we still ended up with that guild charging past us to engage XtC.

I really hope a good solution is reached, because with the amount of guilds we have looking to get into this content, it will get messy.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:09 AM
Kobold

Let us reason together. It would be a regrettable waste. It would be nothing short of madness for you, brave king, and your valiant troops to perish. All because of a simple misunderstanding. There is much our cultures could share.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I played on Vallon, and regardless if someone had been clearing trash for 10hours, it was always the last one alive claims the zone, but I guess this doesn't help very much (pvp classic server pls ~)
Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Aviak

I think its silly how raiding on this server is done. I know of many players who would much rather have competition and not be required to sit and wait out a spawn. Not only does it not seem like the game we all grew up to love, but in my eyes it actually seems worse that people can claim spawns and not even be at their computers when the mob is up.

I am hoping by the time I get to 50 to raid the rules of the game have changed and we can allow the steam rolling and guild competition begin!

Jeice - Gnome Necromancer
Winkyfeet - Halfelf Bard

Disclaimer: Not to be confused with the ranger Jiece, who seems to have incorrectly spelled my name.
Last edited by Jeice; 08-02-2010 at 02:15 AM..
Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Kobold

I'm loathe to suggest this, to add more load onto the Devs, but I have a suggestion.

First, pretty much everyone that's playing now knows everything about the raid targets before they even raid. We know respawn timers, loot tables, strategy, numbers, anything and everything about these 'classic' mobs. They've been killed so many times in so many different ways that it's trivial.

Why don't we change it. The awesome thing about Classic was trying to learn encounters, expect the unexpected. The majority of the players on this server have raided at some point on Live, are familiar with what EQ expects from a successful raid force, and can use Google to answer any and all questions.

I know this topic is about leapfrogging, but I believe that solving the challenge of raid difficulty will help eliminate it.

Here is an option that I think might be viable.

- Create a counter on raid targets (bosses). This will increase the difficulty slowly to create a steady and consistent challenge as raid forces gear up.

a) When a boss is killed, the next time it spawns, it'll spawn with 1% more health, damage (to attacks, aoe's, and various special abilities).
b) Make the bonuses cumulative. If Phinny is killed 5 times, he'd get a 5% bonus.
c) The bonus will wear off by 1% every spawn cycle it's up without being killed (with spawn timer +/- 2x the random spawn delay).
Closed Thread