Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Kobold

As much as I'd like to have the PvP fans (myself partially incl.) get a chance to relive their classic EQ experience, I have reservations about the idea of creating a 2nd P1999 server at present. The reason being simply that I fear it would split the current population, making the game virtually lifeless at off-peak hours. We've just recently reached a point where getting a good PUgroup at those times isn't completely impossible, and I'd hate to have to go back to soloing 90% of the time.

I've previously advocated a 2nd server (be it PvP or otherwise) at a time when the population can "handle it" (my estimate is +2k at peak hours), and I stand by that.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaVeDK [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As much as I'd like to have the PvP fans (myself partially incl.) get a chance to relive their classic EQ experience, I have reservations about the idea of creating a 2nd P1999 server at present. The reason being simply that I fear it would split the current population, making the game virtually lifeless at off-peak hours. We've just recently reached a point where getting a good PUgroup at those times isn't completely impossible, and I'd hate to have to go back to soloing 90% of the time.

I've previously advocated a 2nd server (be it PvP or otherwise) at a time when the population can "handle it" (my estimate is +2k at peak hours), and I stand by that.

I think a 2nd server could be good for the population once it hits 1k+, until Kunark comes out anyways. Last night there were 800+ and everything was over packed. South Karana had 30 people in it. Aviaks was crowded, hermit camped, never checked centaurs because at a camp check several people said centaurs were camped, and the spires were completely camped. I had to kill wondering mobs lol, I didn't even do that on live.

As for when Kunark comes out, I totally agree with a 2nd server being bad news though. As much as it sucks being overcrowded, being under populated is the worst. I really miss PvP but wouldn't want to risk ruining what we already have here for a shot at a good PvP server.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Orc

I now come to this board just to check and see if there is any news a of pvp server. I also make sure and click on an ad every time I visit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I would donate $ for a pvp server.

I agree it's a major concern that a second server would dilute the population of both servers, but I wonder how many people like me are out there that don't play atm but would play if a pvp server were created?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Sarnak

if pvp is so awesome why is the pvp server dead.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemace [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lack of professionalism, customer service, and boxing.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemace [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would you care?

Anyway, PhelanKA summed it up. That server seems to be the opposite of how project1999 is run.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braelyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I now come to this board just to check and see if there is any news a of pvp server. I also make sure and click on an ad every time I visit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I would donate $ for a pvp server.

I agree it's a major concern that a second server would dilute the population of both servers, but I wonder how many people like me are out there that don't play atm but would play if a pvp server were created?
A lot of people. Probably 200ish non boxed players who aren't playing right now would be back (those who played TZVZ), given that it was classic. Those who are on TZVZ as well. Probably even the developers there, haha.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhbuh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of people. Probably 200ish non boxed players who aren't playing right now would be back (those who played TZVZ), given that it was classic. Those who are on TZVZ as well. Probably even the developers there, haha.
Lol, yep, I would bet those guys would come over. It must be a strange dynamic to have only only around 30 people on that server at a time. Maybe they would join together to form a powerhouse guild on a new server.

I can vouch for myself and my friend, both former TZ guys, as people who would come back to play on a pvp server. When I was playing on the project1999 server, I actually met a lot of former RZ and TZ/VZ players. I think these guys are some of the most dedicated eq players out there.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Planar Protector

I know of about 30 who would, personally.

Realistically though, it would take a lot of donations to simply buy another server setup like this and then lots of donations to sustain it with the electric bill probably being so high even with one server. I know the PvP crowds would be willing to comply but it's really up to Rogean. I personally think it would be a great idea a while after the release of Kunark. The time it takes to develop the expansions back to what they were has got to be tremendous and a PvP server can't have the dev's worried. I think once Kunark is generally ironed out though, an old world PvP server could just be opened and sort of left alone by dev's here while they finalize the Kunark bits and begin on Velious. By the time the PvP server was even ready to do Kunark, Velious would be nearly done for the PvE server. It took forever to drop mobs on a PvP server with all the contention =p.

Fun times though!

Edito: the argument of it being imbalanced (omgz manaburn) is precisely why a classic PvP server is requested. Classic meaning: No AA's, no safe zones. I was always with less gear on TZ for 5 years and I quite enjoyed being the underdog. It was frustrating at times but incredibly fun.
Last edited by Buhbuh; 08-03-2010 at 09:48 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhbuh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know of about 30 who would, personally.

Realistically though, it would take a lot of donations to simply buy another server setup like this and then lots of donations to sustain it with the electric bill probably being so high even with one server. I know the PvP crowds would be willing to comply but it's really up to Rogean. I personally think it would be a great idea a while after the release of Kunark. The time it takes to develop the expansions back to what they were has got to be tremendous and a PvP server can't have the dev's worried. I think once Kunark is generally ironed out though, an old world PvP server could just be opened and sort of left alone by dev's here while they finalize the Kunark bits and begin on Velious. By the time the PvP server was even ready to do Kunark, Velious would be nearly done for the PvE server. It took forever to drop mobs on a PvP server with all the contention =p.

Fun times though!

Edito: the argument of it being imbalanced (omgz manaburn) is precisely why a classic PvP server is requested. Classic meaning: No AA's, no safe zones. I was always with less gear on TZ for 5 years and I quite enjoyed being the underdog. It was frustrating at times but incredibly fun.

I have to Agree with Buhbuh here.. a stable server that wasnt wiped all the time would interest many players.... even with slow EXP.

Dual boxing... boxing was very important on VZVTZ due to low pop and it being PVP.. dual boxing just means less wasted time.. not saying one boxing wouldnt be the right answer on a PVE server ect.. but on VZTZ it made the game alot of fun...

Anyways... a Rallos Zek server would be a huge draw.. or even a hardcoded Teams server would work as well...

As for PVP.. PVP is part of the immersion... I am not talking quake.. But if someone has your camp or steals your mob.. is rude.. or is wearing the FBSS you truley deserve... Being able to engage and kill or be killed by that player increases the immersion 10x it makes your interactions... friendships with players much more meaningful.. With PVP you know quickly who you can or cannot trust... Especially item loot. you get to know who is worthy of your trust.. Sometime you get burned.. but that is life... As long as there was no serverwide chat.. Hacking was policed.. and there was consitent application of a ruleset.. there would be great things... and this way if a GM on a server wanted to play... they can just play on the other server and police the other....

And really.. how do you guys feel about waiting at a named spawn for 12+ hours to wait for the dragon or whatever to pop so your guild has the numbers? wouldnt it be funner to PVP during that time? maybe win/ lose a few items in the process? and The end result is the guild/team that is the most skilled, tactically sound, persistent get the mob.. as opposed to it being one dimensional and only based on the guild with most numbers and no life?
Last edited by Kastro; 08-03-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Closed Thread