Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Orc

Sorry bro, family full of golden domer fans if I cheered elsewhere I'd likely be disowned.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Orc

TEXAS!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Fire Giant

Good to see we got some Texas fans here, HOOK`EM!

Depth chart was released today if yall didn't see.

Notable Things:

Cody Johnson starting tailback.
Case McCoy is backup QB, Connor will redshirt assuming nothing crazy happens.
Calvin Howell is 3rd string at DT, Okafor was moved in, apparently fighting off his 3rd concussion.
Christian Scott will line up with Blake Gideon, Vacarro is backing up AJ at Nickel and Scott at safety. (I don't root for injuries, but I'm expecting to Scott to send at least 1 person off in a stretcher this year.)
O-Line looks promising but two deep is poor, really have to hope for few injuries, same goes for DT.
Curtis Brown and AJ will be returning punts, both speedsters are returning kickoffs.

Ridiculously stacked at DE, LB, and DB... Brown may be right when he says this could be the best defense he has had at Texas.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:49 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wisconsin will go to a BCS bowl game this year. CALLING IT NOW.

Also favorite memory from last year. Me and a friend got hooked up with tickets to the Kraft Food's private box. Tons of food, comfortable seats, and best of all... all you can drink beer (note the bottles of spotted cow). Definitely was a different experience than my normal student tickets.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dude, I said the same thing to my badger college buddies and they all laughed at me (maybe it's because we always seem to fuck up at least a couple games every year). Seriously though, the schedule really doesn't look that bad. Iowa on the road and OSU at home will be tough, but I have high hopes for this team. I plan on flying back to Madtown for one of the September games, can't fucking wait!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 AM
Fire Giant

Yea, your buddies are dead wrong. We'll for sure finish in the top 3 in the big ten - and I personally think we'll win either the home Ohio St. game OR the away Iowa game, which would ensure us at a minimum the #2 slot in the big ten - which should earn us a BCS bowl game.

This is like one of the first years since the Alvarez glory days that we've had such a strong offense. Clay is going to destroy on the ground, Tolizen looked great last year and he should bring that plus some added confidence to the field this year. In the air we have Toon and Anderson, with Kendricks stepping up as a replacement for Graham.

Honestly I'm more worried about our defense, but Wisconsin always has a strong defense so I'm confident they have the line and secondary working well - and know that our returning linebackers should continue to dominate.

How anyone could say we aren't a big contender in the big ten this year is beyond me. Maybe if we had a QB with a mediocre arm who ran the option every other play we'd get more respect (yea that's right Ohio State - Pryor is an overhyped clown, money says Tolizen puts up more respectable PASSING numbers this season)
Old 08-31-2010, 03:54 AM
Banned

The problem is the lack of containment out of the pocket during play action, typical of the shotgun offense of the Big 10. If only the safeties could provide screen coverage, it would allow most, if not all of the receivers to penetrate their opponents' no-huddle defenses for more yards, more big plays, and more 2nd-down conversions.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 AM
Fire Giant

Yea, but then it wouldn't be Big Ten football. I know most people hate the grinding, slow, unexciting, defense dominated football that the Big Ten is known for - but I think it makes the conference more interesting. I won't argue that the Big Ten is the best conference in college football, since I think the SEC probably is (although with Nebraska joining us next year, we do have a lot of powerhouse teams) - but Big Ten football in my opinion is the most competitive. Even the weaker teams in the conference have a tendency to show up and play huge games and it seems every season some team just surprises everyone (Iowa last year).

I had way more written out pretty much talking about every team in the conference and then realized I'm probably just listing a bunch of common knowledge that anyone who cares about college football already knows - so yea.. Big Ten football has its weaknesses, but I personally love it.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea, but then it wouldn't be Big Ten football. I know most people hate the grinding, slow, unexciting, defense dominated football that the Big Ten is known for - but I think it makes the conference more interesting. I won't argue that the Big Ten is the best conference in college football, since I think the SEC probably is (although with Nebraska joining us next year, we do have a lot of powerhouse teams) - but Big Ten football in my opinion is the most competitive. Even the weaker teams in the conference have a tendency to show up and play huge games and it seems every season some team just surprises everyone (Iowa last year).

I had way more written out pretty much talking about every team in the conference and then realized I'm probably just listing a bunch of common knowledge that anyone who cares about college football already knows - so yea.. Big Ten football has its weaknesses, but I personally love it.
Penn State and Ohio State have been the only notable teams from the Big 10 in recent years, and Ohio State has pissed away plenty of championship chances. The Big 10 is not even remotely close to as good as the SEC, even with the addition of Nebraska. You would have a better chance arguing that it is better than the Big 12 (minus CU/NEB), or the PAC-10, but even that is debatable.

In fact, in the last 3 years, the Big 10 has only won ONE bowl game against Big 12 opponents:

Iowa St over Minnesota 14-13
Texas Tech over Michigan State 41-31

2008 (shows top to bottom Big 12 better than Big 10)

Missouri over Northwestern 30-23
Kansas over Minnesota 42-21
Texas over Ohio State 24-12

Penn State over A&M 24-17
OSU over Indiana 49-33
Old 08-31-2010, 03:59 PM
The Protector of Sunder

Default .

Hah we got an Orangebloods.com fan on our hands.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Fire Giant

Not orangebloods... Shaggybevo, burnt orange nation, mackbrown-texasfootball, bevobeat, and 24/7texas.
Closed Thread