Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nooo. Until P99, I only ever really had two EQ characters. Each character took way too much time and energy. City of Heroes is what turned me into an altaholic.
Not me. Even on FV, where we could only have one, I had to go and pay the extra $15 a month to get myself an alt. EQ might have started that for me because I
1) Don't do well at sitting around waiting for the possibility of finding someone to fill a slot
2) Want to just be able to fill whatever slot it is. Need a tank? Okay I'll log on my tank. DPS? Cool I'll jump on my rogue.

City of Heroes? Well that was just a fashion trap. There was no way for most to stick to one character when you had billions (trillions?) of customization options.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't call it a syndrome, I roll alts to have fun.. I have a 20+ everything with decent gear at this point. I think the horrid state the end game was in for so long kept me from wanting to make the push to 60 with anymore characters.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Aviak

my opinion;

1) 1-45 you meet less hardcore players, i.e the possibility to make gaming friends gets easier if you avoid soloing in this range.

2) Relative power of twinks, 1-45 your twinks are a powerhouse and the game can feel more fun and fast paced for some.

3) Slow speed of endgame, this was previously referenced by Sarajo, why spend 2 hours LFG with your main when in that same time frame an alt could gain 1-2 levels (or more)

4) Endgame seems to be more of a business of farming,raiding ect. At 60 many players/guilds view other players as direct competition. This could lead to burnout.

5) Dealing with guilds on P99 is a chore, once your 60 your motivation to play your primary could quickly fade if not guilded, however at the same time applying to established guilds can be more trouble than its worth.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Planar Protector

My hangup with alts is I LOVE equipping them. It is a blast for me sitting in the tunnel finding this or that for them. And moving things I already have around to make the stats work.

I have 16 alts alone on here. Had like 12 on EQmac, 14 on Sleeper server, like 34 on live, and 14 on EQ live Test. I have a HELL of a lot of them. But I have been playing EQ non stop since 2000. And am retired now so have WAY too much time on my hands.
This is a damn additive game for sure. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

Instead of leveling my 55 ench or 53 cleric or 42 rogue, I made another alt =/. I feel your pain.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Fire Giant

I have a 60 enc, 50 sham, 40 sk, 35 mnk, and 11 nec.

I don't even log on my ENC anymore - what's the point, really?

I think the problem, which modern MMOs try to alleviate, is 'what do you do at level 60'.

If you are a non gear dependent class, you pretty much have no real reason to play at 60 on this server. Yes, you can raid, but for what - gear? What do you need gear for? To raid more?

It's the whole treadmill cycle. Modern MMOs lose out because they've devalued the journey to 60. It only exists to get you to their end-game-badge-farming mania so you can be at the tip-top of that rotating sheet of plastic. I first realized this when WoW turned their ratings from percentages (+1% crit to 21 crit rating) to ratings that scaled back percentage inversely with level. So, I gained 10 levels, and my crit got worse - awesome. Now my time was spent trying to get back to the same crit level that I originally enjoyed.

In EQ, the journey to 60 is literally everything, because the end game is just so shitty. Timer-based, non-instanced, trivial (with today's knowledge) mobs that provide better loot for..... ??? what purpose. You're already doing the hardest things in game - the best thing you can hope for is some droppable gear to twink out a toon.

Which leads me to the altoholic syndrome. I have a 60 enc that I farmed sweet gear with, so I could enjoy leveling on another class. Leveling on another class.

Now I have enough money that I can comfortably equip up to 3 toons at a time, which is why I have a 50 shm, a 35 mnk, and a 11 nec. They all represent different areas of leveling in Classic+RoK, so I tend to hop on whichever one has the right level of enjoyment to fit my mood for the day.
Scientist - 37 ROG
Old 02-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Aviak

I started when the server had just come out and played to 18 on my bard and then took a 3 year break. When I came back I wanted to start over and my necro was born... he is stuck at level 18. Now I'm playing a monk I geared with money from the necro (farmed bronze from bandits) and am immensely enjoying it. He's 24 now.

I have plans for a ranger and an iksar of some sort. The way I'm doing it is I only want to level (until level 46 or 50) in the old world, Odus, Fadywer, Antonica. My Iksar will be next and I will level him mostly in Kunark only (I'm thinking maybe Sk, but not sure). My ranger is hard to say. Moral of the story is that I want to get my monk to high enough level to raid and then I will enjoy my other alts more.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Kobold

I am stuck in the 50's, it gets comfortable to play at that level but not as something... I blame the mind control!I'm currently playing a gnome warrior!

Portsfour Pie Gnome Wizard
Fappjack Akalilfappy Gnome Warrior
Iksars Suck Human Monk

"Yup,... that just might be proof that we have failed as a species lol."
Old 02-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am stuck in the 50's, it gets comfortable to play at that level but not as something... I blame the mind control!I'm currently playing a gnome warrior!
Still haven't managed a 60 on this server...though I'm getting close, a 57 and two 56's!

I agree the end game XP'ing gets boring/annoying. Had way more fun leveling in MM, Unrest, etc. Rolled an iksar SK and having fun with that at the moment when the Sebilis grind gets too boring.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin5k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its because after that point you stop making big gains unless you put alot of time in
Closed Thread