Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Sarnak

Apparently it isn't classic unless...

-You knew at least one person who knew someone who knew the brother of someone in FoH
-You lied and say that you were once buffed by Aradune somewhere near Halas
-You were a monk and made an art of training people in the Hole
-You stole your parents credit card to pay for EQ
-You were ok with training in VP and saw it as a tactic
-You made a Barbarian and got a port to Greater Faydark, just so you could stand in Kelethin and block the bank door
-You corpse dragged someone to the opposite end of a zone
-You believed raiding meant you had to have a pre requisite trait of being a douche
Old 02-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Large Rat

It isnt classic till youve fallen off a boat and maxed out your swimming looking for land
It isnt classic till youve experienced at least one death loop
Old 02-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Sarnak

You haven't played classic Everquest until...

Youve deleted all your max level characters in an attempt to quit only come back a month later and start all over and max out another character
Old 02-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not classic until you've killed Nagafen with a pug raid. You'll get that chance in velious.
Why would we not have alts for nagafen still? Do we stop using bladestoppers and prayers or something? o_O
Old 02-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Fire Giant

Not classic until:
o Played before it was illegal to train people off a spawn, then saw the play nice rules for the first time and considered it a bundle-of-sticks rule

o Spent 1 month of game time trying to get pieces of dark forge armor, only to come up short, and at the same time know that there is better armor out there for an SK

o Fall into the prison hole in Najena and never get your corpse back
Old 02-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Sarnak

Until you've accidentally auto-attacked the banker.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It isnt classic till youve experienced at least one death loop
So those 3 years I played from 2000 - 2002 weren't classic?
Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersuits [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So here's my premise. I'm creating a checklist of things you have to experience to truly capture the essence of classic EQ.

Ideas:

- You haven't experienced classic EQ until you've died to some idiot's train in Crushbone.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until your group decides to move in just a bit farther and then immediately wipes.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until your corpse run involves boats.
- You haven't experienced classic EQ until you finally got Pyzgn to spawn... but she didn't drop the GBS.

I played live EQ hardcore from '99 to '03. I've dabbled around on P99 fairly extensively but now that real life dictates more than when I was just a kid, I'm can't really go back. But if I play the game in a certain way, a way that makes crafting your own banded armor really special then it can be fun again even in small doses.

So I'm rolling up a Wood-elf Warrior, Stellvia, to level up with the following ruleset:

- Cannot use any gear that I didn't loot, craft, or ninja (ninja'ing is classic!)
- Cannot beg for buffs, drive-by buffs are OK.
- Cannot buy items from other players.

The goal is to "win" the game by meeting some cool friends (classic Everquest = community building downtime) and to "win" by looting/crafting silly items that should be casually farmable. Basically anything that invokes nostalgia turns into a win.

If you're interested in watching, I'll be streaming my play on twitch (twitch.tv/mistersuits) or just message me in game on my warrior, Stellvia.

Also, please add the things that truly make the classic EQ experience to this thread so I can add them to my list and check them off.

See you in game.
I did this on SoD with a ranger, but added no grouping/help and no maps(sod). It was extremely peaceful and rewarding. Listened to a lot of Summoning during that time which really emphasized the atmospheric loneliness. It was the best time of my life.
Last edited by sox7d; 02-23-2014 at 04:59 PM..
Old 02-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Aviak

Had EQ LAN parties, and changed the bind point of your friend who passed out to EK the. Ran him back to Bank, grabbed all his plat and converted it to copper, then gated.

11-22-99 to 11-03-04
Torvonillous
Old 02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox7d [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did this on SoD with a ranger, but added no grouping/help and no maps(sod). It was extremely peaceful and rewarding. Listened to a lot of Summoning during that time which really emphasized the atmospheric loneliness. It was the best time of my life.
that atmosphere stuff hit on my druid quading in cobalt scar. i would watch pathers go by and just be silent. some odd aesthetic satisfaction for a 12 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw134 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Had EQ LAN parties, and changed the bind point of your friend who passed out to EK the. Ran him back to Bank, grabbed all his plat and converted it to copper, then gated.
lol that's evil