Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by contemptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I keep reading hundreds of these stupid posts to see who got banned, only to be disappointed that there are pike 10 of 400 revealed.
Well, 400 accounts arent 400 people, they went on a mass banning spree, a lot of the people got banned had many accounts, or didnt RMT themselves just had affiliation with the person who RMT'd ( friends, accepted donations, etc )
Old 03-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would think P99 makes Sony money, in the form of an advertisement for Live EQ.
This is without a doubt the reason Sony lets the server keep going. About 1/3 of the people I know IRL or from back on live who play p99 have relapsed into real EQ addiction and gone and played live for a significant period of time. No doubt Sony considers this like a gateway EQ that will spark peoples' old addiction and make them curious about, "oh I wonder what it would be like to play my old character" and such.

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Orc

I sold $75 of platinum about 6 or so months ago. I needed cash at the time due to a number of RL difficulties, it was just another way to put a few bucks in my pocket at the time. Sorry if that creates in game problems for people, sorry if that somehow takes money out of the pockets of the devs. Out of all the bad behavior that went on and the far more lenient punishments often given for it, I dont think I did anything worse than some people that are still playing. Anyway, after 4 years, farewell P99!
-Wombraider 45 Cleric & Aowen 60 Mage
Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You accepted platinum from an account that was not only a known RMT mule, but also had the RMT'er logged into the account at the time you accepted the platinum. This is not someone who plays the game. The only thing they do is sell platinum.

In your specific situation, since you decided to call out my methods, you claim you powerleveld someone for a couple hours, and then they gave you platinum for it. Platinum you did not request, but was instead given to you out of the kindness of their heart.

In this scenario, I find it very unlikely someone purchased platinum with RL cash to give to you when they didn't need to.

We don't just ban people who get platinum for nothing. Stop misleading people.
This justification actually has some of us very concerned. Some further elaboration is required.

You say that platinum was accepted from a known RMT mule. Known to whom, exactly? The players who do not engage in this activity would certainly never know. I for one, would not.

That said, what actions such as these have created is a blanket distrust of transactions in general... buying and selling in EC, giving away items to newbies (or accepting them), helping people with item transfers... the list goes on.

Hop into any guild channel and read to what people are saying. There is now some very real concern based on how this was handled.

I'm pretty sure I speak for a larger portion of the playerbase when I say that we are all for banning people who knowingly engage in this activity, but it is the ones who have been seemingly innocently affected that has created a new, perhaps unforeseen problem: misplaced distrust.

To us, it sounds like the situation you are replying to may have been one where someone was innocently affected. It is not unusual for a player to have a seller character in EC where most of their platinum is amassed. People help friends transfer between their mains, alts, and sell toons in EC all the time. It would seem perfectly logical to many people that when handling large, heavy volumes of plat (in the thousands), one is either going to have to visit a bank, or a storage alt.

What Derubel has outlined, however, is that because this "mule" was known, then they are guilty by association. My question is, where is the post that lists these "known" characters so we know who to avoid, and who we can once again trust?

Blue: (Inactive)
Pinoit Pumpie, Elleyne
<Bregan D'Aerth>

TAKProject: (Inactive)
Marshmallow Staypuffed, Pinoit, Pinot, Piia, Dahria, Freyja, Inaera, Naga, Bhut, Mata

Green: (Inactive)
Echofreya
<Black Lotus>

Formerly:
Babayaaga Danaeis, Ellyn Danaeis
~Xegony
Last edited by Babayaaga; 03-25-2014 at 01:45 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 PM
Sarnak

Pretty sure Derubael is saying that player said he PL'd a toon and got paid for it from a RMT mule who probably isn't in the business of buying a PL. Doubtful anyone selling Plat is also buying Pwrlvls.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Sarnak

I don't see the problem. As i young doctor, i have more money in RL than i do on p99 and not much free time, go figure.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sure Derubael is saying that player said he PL'd a toon and got paid for it from a RMT mule who probably isn't in the business of buying a PL. Doubtful anyone selling Plat is also buying Pwrlvls.
The question remains though, how would you know if someone is a known RMT person?

That situation really isn't so far-fetched. Buyers and sellers in EC often have real characters they play too. My husband and I both have EC characters because of weight. It eventually gets too cumbersome to move around with heavy items and cash, and it's more logical to stick a low level toon somewhere and transfer items to it, and plat from it.

Those that don't have spouses playing ask for help from guildmates or friends they've made along the way.

I've had someone ask me to help them because they trusted my guildtag. I helped them without question because that was a nice thing to say, and I was flattered. Now, I'm concerned that I helped someone who was a known RMT person on this magical list that isn't published anywhere and that somehow, someday I'm going to be banned for it. Another guildmate admitted that he frequently helped strangers with transfers, and will now refuse to do so because of the distrust this situation has created.

Players need some clarification on exactly what went on with this ban. I am not saying they need to admit their tactics, but we would appreciate some clarification as to the level of absolution of proof so we can regain some deserving trust amongst one another.

Blue: (Inactive)
Pinoit Pumpie, Elleyne
<Bregan D'Aerth>

TAKProject: (Inactive)
Marshmallow Staypuffed, Pinoit, Pinot, Piia, Dahria, Freyja, Inaera, Naga, Bhut, Mata

Green: (Inactive)
Echofreya
<Black Lotus>

Formerly:
Babayaaga Danaeis, Ellyn Danaeis
~Xegony
Last edited by Babayaaga; 03-25-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Sarnak

You don't know so I see your point but I imagine taking plat from one toon and handing it to another isn't going to get you on the ban list. It's accepting PP from a known RMT person and keeping it that seemed to get people busted.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don't know so I see your point but I imagine taking plat from one toon and handing it to another isn't going to get you on the ban list. It's accepting PP from a known RMT person and keeping it that seemed to get people busted.
Yeah.

Pretty sure their system of checks and balances is more robust than:

Trader 1 = 0pp, 0items
Trader 2 = 30,000pp

Bant

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 03-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Retired GM

Location: Cabilis East, in the northwest corner of the zone-in from Field of Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babayaaga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The question remains though, how would you know if someone is a known RMT person?

That situation really isn't so far-fetched. Buyers and sellers in EC often have real characters they play too. My husband and I both have EC characters because of weight. It eventually gets too cumbersome to move around with heavy items and cash, and it's more logical to stick a low level toon somewhere and transfer items to it, and plat from it.

Those that don't have spouses playing ask for help from guildmates or friends they've made along the way.

I've had someone ask me to help them because they trusted my guildtag. I helped them without question because that was a nice thing to say, and I was flattered. Now, I'm concerned that I helped someone who was a known RMT person on this magical list that isn't published anywhere and that somehow, someday I'm going to be banned for it. Another guildmate admitted that he frequently helped strangers with transfers, and will now refuse to do so because of the distrust this situation has created.

Players need some clarification on exactly what went on with this ban. I am not saying they need to admit their tactics, but we would appreciate some clarification as to the level of absolution of proof so we can regain some deserving trust amongst one another.
It's not really something you have to worry about, for two reasons:

1) Platsellers don't level characters. They make a career out of RMT. On the off chance that one of them did indeed play, I'll be able to cross check the logins and the encounter logs to confirm that you did actually powerlevel one of their characters, and your account would be unbanned.

2) If you were merely involved in a transfer, I'll be able to spot that instantly and your account will get unbanned - this did actually happen in about 3-5 cases out of the accounts banned, and those peoples characters were unbanned within 10 minutes of petitioning.

It's not really all that difficult to tell that the person he was powerleveling was not the person who gave him platinum. Besides IP's correlating to physical locations (that are easily verified by visiting a variety of geolocation IP sites), we have additional tools to track logins and determine who someone is.

To add to this and further ease people's worries, platsellers also don't just give out platinum.

If your whistle is clean, you'll be fine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread