Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
windows 8.1 is light years ahead of windows 7, especially in gui accelleration & optimization

with the 8.1 update 1 that came 2 days ago windows 8 went down from 2gb ram requirement to 1gb ram, and from 30gb storage requirement to 16gb, that makes windows 8 more light weight than vista/windows 7 for older computers.

the ONLY reason people dislike 8 is the start menu, which is getting fixed in Windows 8.1 update 2 (coming summer, see picture)

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I've left windows 7 behind me and i'm never looking back, windows 8 is better in all aspects and also incredible secure to novice users and hard to "fuck up" if you don't know what you're doing.

Get 8 if you're getting anything
I have Windows 8 and would have agreed with you about 2 months ago, but I had a wireless issue come up and there are administrative/network functionalities that were removed in Windows 8. For instance, I had to run a command line prompt simply to forget a wireless network that was out of range. For the average Windows user 8 is probably fine, but for companies running enterprise level security networks it's got to suck.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

You mean I gotta pay money to get a new OS? Gtfo.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Sarnak

if only both the russians and the chinese had alrdy reverse engineered every version of windows to the point of releasing working cracked versions
Old 04-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mean I gotta pay money to get a new OS? Gtfo.
Lol. Good one.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have Windows 8 and would have agreed with you about 2 months ago, but I had a wireless issue come up and there are administrative/network functionalities that were removed in Windows 8. For instance, I had to run a command line prompt simply to forget a wireless network that was out of range. For the average Windows user 8 is probably fine, but for companies running enterprise level security networks it's got to suck.
I personally hate supporting it and am glad its not deployed to the masses at our company, just random sales laptops and tablets. We chose to skip W8, which is typically what business does. W7 Prof/Ent is supported until 2020 with all security updates and such, so we have plenty of time.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
oh no, were you ok? no one should have to deal with something so arcane..
Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
64 bit xp (aka only one worth using on modern hardware) has a lot of random driver issues and gotchas as it was never fully supported in the first place. I used it for a little bit but eventually went back to 7 at the time

also with xp or 7 youre stuck using an obsolete version of directx that dosnt have all the tite optimizations that 8 does

He is right.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Kobold

8 is fine once you're used to it. We aren't going to be pushing it as a standard, but I'm doing the work to make it viable and available on devices that will only run it.

On the support side, it's been a bit love/hate, I'll admit. Changing Audit Mode was a total dick move.
Closed Thread