Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Questions about server future

Will this server make improvements in graphics, models, etc as EQ did originally? I don't dig playing stick men, and seeing guild names along side player names.

I don't mind at all the very slow xp as it was, but please, corpse runs for level 1, 2, and 3's? When or if this changes, I may come back. I can't get past level 3 w/o losing my corpse and my only dagger. And yes, I know how to /L.

Also, when will maps and compass be implemented?

If P1999 will play as the original game did when LDoN and PoP is released on the server, I will come back and have a great time. That is when I started originally in EQ. Forgive me, but I cannot get into P1999 as is. I guess I may have never played EQ if they didn't progress and improve the game.

I do salute P1999. It's just too early on the server for me to start. I miss general chat which is a must for new players.

So if anyone can answer these questions, I would appreciate it. I know there will be haters. Some only want to play stick men and sell skelly bones and bat wings in the EC tunnel for decades and decades.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

It is my understanding that the Velious expansion will be the last.

As you state, P1999 may not be for you. Nothing wrong with that. The Classic EQ experience definitely has some rough edges, but for me most of those add to the challenge of the games...something that is missing from modern MMO's.

Caib
P99 Blue
Old 05-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Will this server make improvements in graphics, models, etc as EQ did originally? I don't dig playing stick men, and seeing guild names along side player names.
You can use Luclin Models, also look in the tech forum for high resolution textures

Quote:
I don't mind at all the very slow xp as it was, but please, corpse runs for level 1, 2, and 3's? When or if this changes, I may come back. I can't get past level 3 w/o losing my corpse and my only dagger. And yes, I know how to /L.
Corpse runs are classic

Quote:
90% of the zones are a box, why you need a map? (there is a map addon in server chat forum section)

Quote:
If P1999 will play as the original game did when LDoN and PoP is released on the server, I will come back and have a great time. That is when I started originally in EQ. Forgive me, but I cannot get into P1999 as is. I guess I may have never played EQ if they didn't progress and improve the game.
This server is probably something that wont ever suit you then.

Quote:
I do salute P1999. It's just too early on the server for me to start. I miss general chat which is a must for new players.
Just tab to the forums and reply with "doesn't happen on red" same thing.

Quote:
So if anyone can answer these questions, I would appreciate it. I know there will be haters. Some only want to play stick men and sell skelly bones and bat wings in the EC tunnel for decades and decades.
I can somewhat see where you're coming from. Some nostalgia is wearing into the territory of novelty as I continue to play. It would be nice if a few things were tweaked without having the "everything must be classic" concept, but honestly these should be small things. Personally I would enjoy better camera controls/targeting ring ect... Just little quality of life improvements. Nothing major such as 1-10 no corpse runs/PoK books/Newbie armor ect... that's just not classic and takes away from the charm/player interaction.
Last edited by Bboboo; 05-27-2014 at 09:08 AM..
Old 05-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Large Rat

Default Project EQ

I think you would enjoy Project EQ: The Grand Creation. Do a search. It's in the era that you're looking for [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Aviak

The server isn't for everyone. There's nothing wrong with the game as it currently sits. The LDON and POP QoL changes you discuss were to draw in people from WoW and not anything that I can see the Devs of this server are interested in implementing. Most of us enjoy the challenge of learning an area with a map and compass to show us where to walk, retrieving corpses, losing xp on death.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Sarnak

Some tips:

1) Map your SENSE HEADING skill to a movement key so it skills up quickly.
Should be a thread talking about how to do this somewhere.
2) Use Project1999 Wiki for maps
3) Don't start in Kelethin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsalter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

you may want to try PEQ or THF servers.
This is server isn't going to change in the nearest 3-5 years.

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Sarnak

You can't please everyone. While you want 'improved' functionality away from classic I recently deleted my characters because as much as I try the classic experience can't really be found on P1999 imo.

With respect and applause to Rogean and everyone else who put in the effort to get P1999 up and running the game is ruined by people who join without any regard for what the server is supposed to represent and offer (classic EQ).

The Everquest experience revolved around grouping, group play, grinding, horrid death penalties including corpse runs and XP loss but the server is full of people who try to avoid those things at all costs.

Despite being an enchanter I have yet to find any real groups on the server. Go to any low to mid level zone and you'll find a couple of low levels twinked out being PL'd by a high level player. If there is a group it'll be a guild group being power leveled by a guild high level player. Theres no use spending 50 hours camping a mid level item like Paw of Opolla when I can farm some pp easily and buy it in 10 hours.

I saw a level 6 running around the other day epicced, seen quite a few level 1's to 10 with epics. In all my years on original EQ I never once saw low levels running around with epic though I played on Firiona Vie (no high level farming green mobs for lore items) so maybe why.

While you are thinking too hard, and too harsh, in my mind the experience is ruined by being wow style way too easy due to high level PL.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Planar Protector

Most of your issues are due to the amount of time we have been stuck in Kunark, not with the classicness of the server. Not much can be done about that, since the developers working on Velious are unpaid volunteers with actual jobs.

Also, there are plenty of non PL'ed groups going on in places like Unrest/Mistmoore/City of Mist/Sebilis.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Last edited by Man0warr; 05-27-2014 at 07:25 PM..
Old 05-27-2014, 07:28 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Most of your issues are due to the amount of time we have been stuck in Kunark, not with the classicness of the server. Not much can be done about that, since the developers working on Velious are unpaid volunteers with actual jobs.

Also, there are plenty of non PL'ed groups going on in places like Unrest/Mistmoore/City of Mist/Sebilis.
Yeah I do realise that. Its still a very cool server and I imagine was just cool as shite when it first came out. I spent a long time playing but didn't really find those groups though I'm aussie player so in low pop time which is likely also a big issue.
Closed Thread