Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I solo'd a Wizard on live, as well as a Enchanter. So, technically you have Druids, Necros, Mages, Wizards, Enchanters in the solo'able group. There is no doubt you have some advantage be it experiance or money in soloing. However, you also take a risk. Not having a rezer at higher levels results in accidents having consequences that may take a while to overcome - from the wasted time having to run back to your corpse (if it's easily available) to the time it takes to recover lost xp due to the death. So, straight line calculations about group vs solo xp are not always correct.

Making bonuses for groups have unwanted effects as well, I'm sure we saw this on live. Once someone defines what the "perfect" group is for a particular camp, you see that classes (perhaps non solo classes) become bastard children and are unable to find groups because they don't fit the perfect group blueprint, all the while those classes that could have just solo'd for xp now find that grouping is even as-good-as or even better xp, with less risk.
I don't understand. If you raise the group exp bonus to promote groups, it still leaves solo classes getting the same very good exp that they already had. It's a win/win.

Besides.. you already see the 'perfect group' mentality on this server. Do you invite that ranger with mediocre dps and huge exp penalty, or that rogue?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand. If you raise the group exp bonus to promote groups, it still leaves solo classes getting the same very good exp that they already had. It's a win/win.

Besides.. you already see the 'perfect group' mentality on this server. Do you invite that ranger with mediocre dps and huge exp penalty, or that rogue?
This is part of the reason class exp penalties were dropped. People would pass over certain players so they could get better exp.

Most of the time on my ranger I had to make the group to get one.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This wouldn't be a terrible idea - it depends if "Classic" trumps "Good for the Server."

It's reasonable...Maybe this is a cause more people should rally behind? They could just raise group EXP bonuses to a place where they can at least come close to solo mage/necro/druid/wizard(only quadding) exp given the same mobs, etc. Would certainly encourage more grouping, although there are almost certainly some unintended consequences (although I can't think of any off-hand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Kobold

I'm playing a necro, new to the server no fancy gear (no stats just cloth armor). My blue con pet solos yellows with no assistance from me. No fear kiting, no kiting, nothing. If I help it out then I can chain kill reds.

I've played both a necro and a mage back in 1999 and at no point did an untwinked, un-focused, un-buffed pet kill things so easily.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanknspank [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm playing a necro, new to the server no fancy gear (no stats just cloth armor). My blue con pet solos yellows with no assistance from me. No fear kiting, no kiting, nothing. If I help it out then I can chain kill reds.

I've played both a necro and a mage back in 1999 and at no point did an untwinked, un-focused, un-buffed pet kill things so easily.
Which reds? What level are you?

I have a 12 necro, and my pet, even the highest con pet, was definitely not soloing yellows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

Wow, I didn't know that is how experience is done in groups. So I forget the exact experience penalty/bonus per class, so forgive me if my exp mod is a little off. But in theory you could have a group of the following:

Using the 1000xp mob, 1100xp after group bonus.

Paladin (1.4 exp mod) - 1490 exp
Cleric (1.1 exp mod) - 1278 exp
Warrior (.9 exp mod) - 958 exp
Rogue (.9 exp mod) - 958 exp

But if I replace a Rogue with a Ranger the exp given for the same mob would be as follows:

Paladin (1.4 exp mod) - 1380 exp
Cleric (1.1 exp mod) - 1182 exp
Warrior (.9 exp mod) - 886 exp
Rogue (.9 exp mod) - 886 exp
Rogue (.9 exp mod) - 886 exp
Ranger (1.4 exp mod) - 1380 exp

So in effect, but replacing that one Rogue with a Ranger, you have reduced experience by about 7.5% per mob for everyone else that stayed in the group. I'm fairly certain that Ranger assuming equal skill and gear isn't going to speed up the killing by 7.5%.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So in effect, but replacing that one Rogue with a Ranger, you have reduced experience by about 7.5% per mob for everyone else that stayed in the group. I'm fairly certain that Ranger assuming equal skill and gear isn't going to speed up the killing by 7.5%.
But a rogue cant harmony, cant heal your nearly dead cleric, cant track your named mob, and cant give you sow.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Fire Giant

I solo on p99 (Druid) simply becouse i was a warrior on live and I am not willing to wait forever LFG like i once was. I also wanted to play something new, hence the druid.

I will say so far (20's) I level much faster solo then grouped. Also If I die its always my fault and not some noobs. I also can pop on for sporatic periods of time and still feel like I have made some progress.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Aviak

Solo is fun in certain classes. You always going to get more XP than group because of Risks vs Rewards.

Group get less XP because obviously, less risk vs Solo.

BUT!

Example. Class 1 solo spends 30 minutes killing 30 mobs and get 3 bubs of exp.
While group 1, spend 30 minutes killing 60 mobs and get 5 bubs of exp.

There are pros and cons that applied on each scenario so yeah, if group sucks you gonna get less XP and vice versa.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Banned

I certainly wouldn't say that solo is higher risk ; reward.

ESPECIALLY for Druids and Necros that are kiting.

Kiting is essentially zero risk MASSIVE reward.
Closed Thread