Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Uncertainty

Hello everyone,

I played EverQuest for the first and only time over summer break nine years ago. I played a Halfling Druid to, if I remember correctly, 32. For some reason, I never came back.

Ever since that summer, I've always held a lot of respect for old die-hard EQ players. They always talk about how glorious the game was and how no other MMO has ever compared to EverQuest pre-some-certain-period (I'm guessing Project 1999 is setup to avoid this period). Well, I'm older now and have more MMO and gaming experience under my belt. I would like to finally experience EverQuest with a better head on my shoulders.

The problem is: I do not know where to begin.

I've always enjoyed playing classes with utility. I've also enjoyed healing, too. What I'm trying to get to is this: Utility is a necessity for whatever class I choose, but it would be best to have a more of a Utility/Healing class. From what I gather, Clerics are just healing bots; Druids are overplayed but are probably the best Utility/Healing class (maybe best all around class?); Shaman are pretty sweet; Bards are hard for new players; etc. So hard to choose.

I imagine it would be more helpful for the community, and probably easier on myself to do something more like Utility/Healing, or even Healing/Utility or just Healing if necessary. I know some people will say just play what you want and have fun, but I have fun by supporting others and seeing them exceed.

I guess a natural question would then be: What does the server need the most of right now?

I understand EverQuest is unlike new-age MMOs in that its a total grind fest with few important quests, but I also understand what made EQ enjoyable through the grind fest was experiencing it with other people from a great community (pre-that-certain-time-period?).

Are there still people playing level 1-20 characters? Are there people always willing to roll new characters to help some newbies out and just enjoy seeing the low level lands again? I'm not looking to solo, and would rather have other new players like me to play with, or whoever would be willing. I'd gladly be a heal bot for a group if they were dedicated enough to help me get to 50 and experience as much EverQuest as I can.

Is there a place for someone like me in this community?

If you're not sure how to answer any of my questions, but have a lot of stored of tips for new players that when you once figured out said tips you thought, "Man, I wish I had known that when I first started," I would love to hear it.

Thank you, and hope to see you in game sometime.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Skeleton

Hi,

I just started playing on this server and it is great. there are lots of people playing 1-10, not sure about past that, cuse i am not there yet. but i have never had problems joining a group and everyone i have played with is really nice and fun.
I played back when Kunark first came out and it is everything i remembered it beeing!
As for what class. you are bang on about all of those except for Bard, they are not that hard to play.
In the lower levels the server needs everything but more mages...

See you out there!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Orc

Shaman are the best class in the game in this period. Pet, super buffs, chain, etc.

That fits all your criteria, and they are OP, and come kunark become even more OP.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Kobold

Yeah man, Shaman sounds right up your alley.

Since your new, a Barbarian would be best. They are the number one choice for shaman anyway and you wont have the factions issues.

Barbarians do live VERY far out from the rset of everywhere so it is a pain in the ass to go back and train but it will be worth it in higher levels!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Kobold

I think Shaman would be the best , group love them, they are king at soloing, even better with kunark, and they are fun to play, i would suggest a troll for the regen/sta, because when you get cannibalize you don't need that extra wis from the barbarian. And who care about faction, good city are boring anyway :P
Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradojeff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since your new, a Barbarian would be best.
Oh I disagree - Upper Guk is amazing loot for newbs from level 5 on up. Plus, the faction issues teach you the game the hard way - which makes it more difficult but also more rewarding.

Go Ogre. Very difficult for mobs to interrupt your casting, very good stats all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hit me up in game - Rumbeebo.

I'd be happy to level with you. I am a new SK. If you are playing a shaman would could melt face with relative ease.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Fire Giant

One thing you should be aware of when you play a shaman and think you're the best thing since sliced bread:
There is a shortage of clerics (as in every MMO) and druids are often out soloing.
The group heal duties will more often than not fall to you. It is a challenge and can be frustrating.
I would not call them 'King' at soloing. I'd put them 4th at best. Both true pet classes, druids and bards will annihilate a shaman in exp/hour solo.
The shaman really shines when they can play the support role they were meant to: Debuffing the enemy and buffing the party. Most find the shaman lacking in any other role. Personally, I quit playing my shaman until my necro, who needs virtually no gear, to farm up some money to buy some decent gear for my shaman. I'm just not ready to deal with a heal taking 15% of my mana and healing 12% of a tanks HP.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I want to thank you all for your time spent answering my questions.

It sounds like Barbarian/Troll/Ogre all have their benefits. I was just talking with my girlfriend about Project 1999, and she said she'd be interested in playing with me. She transferred schools, so we're dealing with a long distance relationship. We feel that this may be a good way to do something together while waiting for the weekends. So these three races have their benefits, but she was thinking about playing a Dark Elf Shadow Knight (since she prefers hybrid classes, and seems to have taken a fancy to dark elves). If that's the case, I imagine I would have to play Ogre or Troll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hit me up in game - Rumbeebo.

I'd be happy to level with you. I am a new SK. If you are playing a shaman would could melt face with relative ease.
...and I'm not sure if there's faction incompatibility within groups. Would it be a problem, Breaux, if you had already picked something like a human? I'm just not sure. We would love to play with you, though. I'll make my shaman soon and send you an in game message whenever I see you on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quellren
There is a shortage of clerics (as in every MMO) and druids are often out soloing.
The group heal duties will more often than not fall to you. It is a challenge and can be frustrating.
The first thing I did when I opened up EverQuest (before posting on these forums) was creating a High Elf Cleric. For now it sounds like Shaman is the class I want to play, but I'm sure I'll play the Cleric when I can and will probably be my 2nd character.

I don't mind that I'll be doing the majority of healing, and I like challenges, but I just want to make sure that Shamans are capable of holding their own. Just like there are off-tanks there are support-healers that can't really main heal for a group. I'm sure in the more difficult situations (raids, etc.) they can't be depended on to main heal, but can they main-heal just leveling groups?

I used to be one of the best, if not thee best, restoration druids on the Durotan Server in vanilla WoW, so I have a lot of experience, but it may not transfer well. I guess I'm just trying to say that I'm capable of facing challenges while healing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerton
Hi,

I just started playing on this server and it is great. there are lots of people playing 1-10, not sure about past that, cuse i am not there yet. but i have never had problems joining a group and everyone i have played with is really nice and fun.
I played back when Kunark first came out and it is everything i remembered it beeing!
As for what class. you are bang on about all of those except for Bard, they are not that hard to play.
In the lower levels the server needs everything but more mages...

See you out there!
Hey hammerton, do you mind providing me with a character name so I can contact you in game if you're still low enough to level with a couple of newbies?
Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Kobold

Shamans have the same problems healing that druids do as far as there heals never really heal much hps at a time, but because shamans get slow theyre able to heal most grp situations if done right, just limits the amount of buffs there able to put on grp members efficiently

edit: Druids on eq are NOTHING like druids on WoW, Ive played both. From everything you have stated I'd say shaman is the best fit for you, There is no grp restrictions based off faction, just limits the places you can bind and buy your spells at, if your GF is gonna be DE id recommend being a evil race aswell that way you dont have to invis into evil towns to bind her...

Also keep in mind that hybrids have a xp penalty, also Ogres and trolls have a xp penalty,
Last edited by Tokum-6n0m3; 10-23-2010 at 11:50 AM..
Closed Thread