Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TK- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As far as gearing for the street, doing the common one down two up shouldn't really affect gas mileage too much.
And is pretty much the cheapest most effective upgrade you can do for a performance increase. 99% of the time you will be under 80 MPH so why even have tall gears for 150+ MPH. It's a total waste even for the track.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Geared for racing? You mean you had less teeth on the sprockets for faster acceleration? Also if you went for bigger gears you have have more top end and would have a higher top speed. And smaller gearing don't effect MPG that much at all unless your riding it at a higher RPM for some reason. If anything you would get to the average speed quicker and speed less time moving around the RPM range (saving more gas). The 650 is a nice bike I just dislike twins for a "sports bike" and the 650 is more so a casual sport bike hybrid. And the fact that most twins sound like a lawn mower.

Anyway I ride a sport bike legend the CBR 900RR firebird.
Honestly, it really didn't affect my gas mileage by that much. I was getting about 150 miles between refills and still am when I went back to OEM but my mechanic kept hounding on it since my sprockets needed changing anyway. So I just went back to stock 15/46. Don't remember what I had it changed to originally, think I just went down a tooth on the front, all I remember is that I was shifting a lot more than I am now - so I might have had the rear sprocket changed too.

As far as sound goes, it's a bit growly, but not as much a lawnmower as any Buell.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawll [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And is pretty much the cheapest most effective upgrade you can do for a performance increase. 99% of the time you will be under 80 MPH so why even have tall gears for 150+ MPH. It's a total waste even for the track.
Actually I live on the eastern shore of MD, so all we have is straight, flat, open roads.
So most of my daily commute is over 80 =p
(I see you live in Philly we should ride sometime)
Old 10-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadrian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually I live on the eastern shore of MD, so all we have is straight, flat, open roads.
So most of my daily commute is over 80 =p
(I see you live in Philly we should ride sometime)
I'm sure you guys have some twistys down there and is hell of a lot more fun then going fast in a straight line. And i'm down for a ride long as it's not under 30' or raining haha.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I'm sure you guys have some twistys down there and is hell of a lot more fun then going fast in a straight line. And i'm down for a ride long as it's not under 30' or raining haha.
Oh I've looked. There are no twisties near me within at least an hour. It's brutal. So I have to make my own fun - currently fast is about the only fun I can find.

Unfortunately, I am just surrounded either by Harleys (and they flat out told me I can't ride with them because I'm on a ninja.. I rofl'd), or the occasional traveler on a dualsport. Once in a while I'll run into a sport bike and we'll buzz along the highway until one of us turns off, but I am lone wolfing it most of the time.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadrian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As far as sound goes, it's a bit growly, but not as much a lawnmower as any Buell.
I started on a ex500 so I do have a special place in my heart for twins i'm just busting your balls. Get some new Bar ends on that bike to give you a lower riding position and to make it easier to tuck. Twins always have a more standard riding position and getting lower bar ends really does a lot for the handling when turning.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I started on a ex500 so I do have a special place in my heart for twins i'm just busting your balls. Get some new Bar ends on that bike to give you a lower riding position and to make it easier to tuck. Twins always have a more standard riding position and getting lower bar ends really does a lot for the handling when turning.
It's actually got sport bars on it.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
We're not raggin' on your bike if it came across that way. Just a difference in styles. Just like I like my Japanese bikes but when it comes to cars I prefer American muscle over ricers. I don't buy into the whole cruiser/muscle/ricer/Japanese/Harley rivalry and brand allegiance. And I usually keep my mouth shut when the Harley guys start yapping about their 'American' bikes and they fail to acknowledge that Harley's are built with parts from the US, Italy, Mexico, China, Germany, and Japan...not worth the battle. Assembled in America means something different than Made in America. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TK- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We're not raggin' on your bike if it came across that way. Just a difference in styles. Just like I like my Japanese bikes but when it comes to cars I prefer American muscle over ricers. I don't buy into the whole cruiser/muscle/ricer/Japanese/Harley rivalry and brand allegiance. And I usually keep my mouth shut when the Harley guys start yapping about their 'American' bikes and they fail to acknowledge that Harley's are built with parts from the US, Italy, Mexico, China, Germany, and Japan...not worth the battle. Assembled in America means something different than Made in America. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And the fact that your spending 20k on technology from the 1950s for a bike that gets 60 HP and weighs a ton. Just so you can live the "harley lifestyle" that they promote so much.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Never took it as offense =). twins are twins, and then there's Buell.
Last edited by Zadrian; 10-17-2014 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: added smiley to show im srs!
Closed Thread