Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

Default New Monk, saying hi and asking advice

Hi all,

New to the server but not EQ. I know the basics, but looking for server specific tips.

I started in Qeynos. I know about the gnoll fang quests, but aside from that, is there anything I should know? So far I have just been hunting decayed skeletons and gnoll pups trying to collect a set of cloth armor and sell rusty weapons for cash.

I started with a club, but are my fists better? The club weighs 4 and that seems like a lot for not much benefit.

After I get a set of cloth armor, what items should I focus on getting first?

Do I need to worry about being KoS in Qeynos if I turn in too many gnoll fangs and ruin my corrupt guard faction?

Anything other Qeynos or class specific advice?

Lastly, if any guilds are recruiting new players I would love to join so I can pester everyone with questions. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Planar Protector

Not sure what level you are but if not too high I would delete it and start in West Freeport. Lot better areas and more people to group with and handouts gear and buff wise in the EC Tunnel. Qeynos is a ghost town and damn hard to get out of. Since the Knoll Fang nerf not really worth it anymore like it used to be.

But If you really want to play a Monk you ought to think about going the Iksar route. The re gen is crazy good and the starting area is much better. But you are pretty much stuck there also unless you luck out and get a ride. Welcome aboard.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:38 AM
Planar Protector

Doh. I'm already level 4, and I know that's not a TON of time, but I feel like I'm already attached to my character too much to restart at this point.

What's a safe-ish level to run to Freeport?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Sarnak

Iksars do have an awesome starting area. My monk is 51 and still has the same bind point since lvl 1.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Sarnak

Keep in mind iksar also have an exp. penalty, however their innate AC/regen is really really good. Being kos doesn't matter so much to monks because we get FD and sneak so you can talk to and travel around most places if you're careful.

Poke around the monk section of this forum too once you're a little bigger, sometimes people do Crescent Armor runs in Dalnir which is some fantastic armor that is no drop. Other than that, I would second starting in Cabilis as an Iksar. The leveling progression is pretty fantastic there. Might also be worth making an alt around EC and talking to the tunnelrats to try and get some donations going and then bring them to your iksar.

Weapon wise, you want to save up for Wu's Quivering Staff (200ish pp) right away and then Peacebringer (4k or so). The staff is a tremendously good weapon that will last you a very long while. Farm bone chips in Kurns, or farm willowisps for lightstones and do the quest turn in in the karanas for xp/money. 200pp wont take long to make doing that and you'll be off to a great start.

Armor wise go for a full set of cured silk which is pretty cheap. Then start saving up for the 5ac55hp rings. Makes a world of difference.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hablabba [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Weapon wise, you want to save up for Wu's Quivering Staff (200ish pp) right away and then Peacebringer (4k or so). The staff is a tremendously good weapon that will last you a very long while. Farm bone chips in Kurns, or farm willowisps for lightstones and do the quest turn in in the karanas for xp/money. 200pp wont take long to make doing that and you'll be off to a great start.

Armor wise go for a full set of cured silk which is pretty cheap. Then start saving up for the 5ac55hp rings. Makes a world of difference.
Since I have been killing mostly skeletons to level up, (halfway through level 4 atm) I have around 150 bone chips already. Do they really sell for 1p each?

Wu's Quivering Staff will be my first purchase for sure. Sounds like I should pretty much make the run to Freeport as soon as possible. Just need to figure out a safe level to make the attempt. I think I will go as soon as I get the sneak skill.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah Iksar Monks have a 44% xp penalty and Humans have a 20% xp penalty. But I have found that Iksar Monks with their regen can kill more mobs in an say an hour than Humans. So the penalty is not as bad as seems. And they can solo better also with the regen. Neither class makes much of a real big difference until higher levels. But 50 + the Iksar regen is pretty huge. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Fire Giant

fists are garbage considering the plenty of cheap or free monk items available. Cane of Harmony and similar type weaps are like 100 or free. Fist ratios are on the wiki under Monk http://wiki.project1999.com/Monk
Old 11-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Banned

Weapons on the cheap 1-20: Wu's Trance Stick, Cane of the Tranquil, Fighting Baton, Cane of Harmony. Don't pay more than 100ish. Try to get two if you can afford them, but even 1 would work.

Level 20+: Wu's quivering Staff. ~150pp. You should save one of the 1HB weapons, but can trade in the other if you have two.

Level 30+: Stave of Shielding + your other banked 1h weapon. ~3K. Then save for another Stave of Shielding.

Optional: Stick with 2HB and get either a Peacebringer or Imbued Fighters Staff to replace Wu's Quivering instead of Stave of Shielding x2. Math says the DPS isn't as good, but there are advantages to hard-hitting 2HB including riposte damage and less damage for you against damage shields.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Sarnak

Main focus should be:

Haste
Hitpoints
Whatever 1h's you can scrounge up.

Find as much +hitpoints gear as you can. Get yourself a haste of some kind. Find some decent 1h weapons, knuckle dusters, jade mace, staff of shielding, adamantite club(thats in price order from cheapest to most expensive). I know this isn't going to be a right away list but start saving up! For the time being you'll just want to stick with pretty much anything you find that is an upgrade and save up plat. Plus hitpoints gear, such as 5 ac, 55 hitpoints rings are a significant upgrade for you, giving you virtually 1/4 more hitpoints then you had previously depending on your level.

Any questions feel free to message Vetus in game if you find me online I'll try to help you out.