Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Banned

Default Everything I touch electrocutes me

Whenever I move up or around on my couch, and then touch my laptop, I get quite a jolt! I'm actually somewhat concerned that one of these times it's just going to short something out in the dang computer and fry the thing, and then I don't know WHAT I'd do with myself.

I've gotten to the point that before I go to touch the laptop, I kind of smack the side of it with my finger so that the shock is timed with my finger hitting it, and it seems to deaden (or mask) the pain of the shock.

So, does anyone know of any reliable ways to reduce or eliminate static electricity buildup like this during the winter?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Orc

A humidifier will help - dry air is a major factor.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Aviak

Boil water on your stove (or buy a humidifier).
Old 01-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

My brother had this issue and actually wrecked the HDMI port on his PC as a result.

Apparently shuffling behind the PC in the corner of your carpeted, 83f radiator-heated apartment wearing wool socks is a bad idea.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 01-09-2015, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portasaurus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm actually somewhat concerned that one of these times it's just going to short something out in the dang computer and fry the thing, and then I don't know WHAT I'd do with myself.
I'm no electrician, but back in the old days you had to be careful with static electricity when you touched RAM, because you could fry it. But: A) modern RAM is hardier, and (more importantly) B) we're talking about holding RAM in your hand. When it's inside your computer any excess electricity will travel through the metal parts of your computer to the power supply, which will then discharge it to the "ground" through the power cord.

So again, I don't want to categorically say that you won't hurt anything, but it seems very unlikely to me.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumyums Inmahtumtums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My brother had this issue and actually wrecked the HDMI port on his PC as a result.

Apparently shuffling behind the PC in the corner of your carpeted, 83f radiator-heated apartment wearing wool socks is a bad idea.
Wacky; I guess if he had A LOT of static electricity and he touched the HDMI port directly and it wasn't grounded properly for some reason, but that's some pretty bad luck.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Get more moisture in the air as others have already stated.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] GIFSoup
Old 01-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wacky; I guess if he had A LOT of static electricity and he touched the HDMI port directly and it wasn't grounded properly for some reason, but that's some pretty bad luck.
He would flip the HDMI between his computer monitor and his tv quite a bit. Every time it discharged the screen would go pulse and go fuzzy for a split section. After a while he port on his computer just stopped working.

Cool story, I know.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumyums Inmahtumtums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He would flip the HDMI between his computer monitor and his tv quite a bit. Every time it discharged the screen would go pulse and go fuzzy for a split section. After a while he port on his computer just stopped working.

Cool story, I know.
Maybe he is a witch!

Also, i got a like from Canada....was that you!?
Old 01-09-2015, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1080 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe he is a witch!

Also, i got a like from Canada....was that you!?
Maybe.......

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Closed Thread