Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

The thrill of mortalquest was that it was ridiculously hard, so everything felt like an achievement. For instance, when Boyz in tha Hood were camping level 1's who entered non-safe zones and killing them so that no one would play, I actually thought that was really fun, because of the extra challenge of trying to get out of North Qeynos past the boyz who were camping the gate. Unfortunately, a challenging game is only fun if the challenges in that game can be overcome somehow, which was impossible if your preferred class was pretty much anything other than a necro (okay that's an exaggeration because many classes had their uses, but my point is still clear).

Anyways what I'm really trying to get at, is that it wouldn't be hard to make a server as fun as mortalquest, you just have to come up with a concept that's really challenging and balanced (it doesn't have to be permanent death, it can be anything that's really hard honestly).
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 11-26-2010, 04:41 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...so we did our own coding and have a brand new server, we made out of our own build since yours was corrupted anyways
What's this 'we'? You couldn't code your way out of a box, and it seems you have the faction issue according to your forums still so you used my code. You can't lie your way out of this one, cole.

Personally I think your passive-aggressiveness is funny; I would rather just say f you and be done with it, but since you aren't that kind of person I guess I am gonna be passive aggressive too.

I love you.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 11-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The thrill of mortalquest was that it was ridiculously hard, so everything felt like an achievement. For instance, when Boyz in tha Hood were camping level 1's who entered non-safe zones and killing them so that no one would play, I actually thought that was really fun, because of the extra challenge of trying to get out of North Qeynos past the boyz who were camping the gate. Unfortunately, a challenging game is only fun if the challenges in that game can be overcome somehow, which was impossible if your preferred class was pretty much anything other than a necro (okay that's an exaggeration because many classes had their uses, but my point is still clear).

Anyways what I'm really trying to get at, is that it wouldn't be hard to make a server as fun as mortalquest, you just have to come up with a concept that's really challenging and balanced (it doesn't have to be permanent death, it can be anything that's really hard honestly).
Boyz N' Tha Hood are always hard come talkin' that trash and we'll pull your card
Old 11-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's this 'we'?
Big abacab writing pvp scripts and balancing out melee
Old 11-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

How about Everquest: Immortals based off the Highlander franchise...

1) Warrior-class only, with considerably increased HP regen, so that PVE isn't as much of a threat, only used as a secondary way to gain XP (see below). PVP melee damage increased so that PVP is the primary threat.

2) If your HP goes below zero, PVP or PVE, you just go purple/unconscious for a period of time, but you really can't "die". No XP loss or anything. Once you regain consciousness, your health is restored at the same regen rate but you have certain effects that reduce your stats/movement speed. Yes, this could create a series of chain "deaths" in PVE.

3) All players have a "behead" skill that pops every so often. This is the only way to kill someone in PVP. There is 100% chance this is successful against an unconscious target (see above), scaling exponentially down to 0% chance against a target at 50% health or something (maybe 10% at 25% health, etc).

4) From 2 & 3, you can show someone mercy by "killing" them by knocking them unconscious but not actually going through with the beheading. Not sure why you would do this, but it is an option.

5) When you behead someone, you gain their Quickening... i.e. all of their XP (and whatever levels you gain as a result). Some gnomish fireworks graphics go off with the winner as the target of the effect to represent the Quickening... the recipient cannot move during this time and has some sort of recovery effects that diminish movement speed and combat skills for a short period of time after. This is perma-death for the beheaded Immortal. The winner (or whoever) can loot their inventory. I'm torn as to whether these beheadings should be announced as a server broadcast or not.

6) From 5, you want to pick your battles closely... you don't want to win a battle by a hair and gain the Quickening, only to be beheaded by someone else while you are vulnerable. One strategy could be to lie in hiding, waiting for such a battle to occur, only to cheaply pick off the winner while they are recovering from their Quickening.

7) Some zones/areas in the game are designated "Holy Ground" and battle cannot occur in these zones/areas.

It only sounds fun to me because I am a fan of the Highlander movies/series. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 11-27-2010, 12:52 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab *****h [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Big abacab writing pvp scripts and balancing out melee
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Tis' true dawg
Old 11-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Planar Protector

If you want more people to test out your ideas for the server, you should promote it some from the ground up. Also, naming it this way also says its the same exact thing, and those who stopped playing it before it went down perm, won't be playing it again. Even the "Redux" version.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Closed Thread