Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Large Bat

Boxing

– verb

1 -- To play multiple characters at once.

2 -- To completely miss the point of a MMORPG. That’s Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game, not Massively Singleplayer Online Game.

3 – An action that, if allowed to flourish, kills the community in an online game.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2 -- To completely miss the point of a MMORPG. That’s Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game, not Massively Singleplayer Online Game.
By the same reckoning, are those who don't role play completely missing the point too?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

We're roleplaying people playing eq in 1999 obv

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Old 12-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

woooooooooow

no pun intended. tho that does look like wow.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By the same reckoning, are those who don't role play completely missing the point too?
Yeah, I think they are.

I lot of what made EQ fun back in the day was the people you met. Most weren’t hard core role players, but they would at least make some effort to act like they were in Norrath. Dwarves used to slam in-game alcohol, the high-elves would act uppity and snobbish, druids and rangers refused to kill animals, trolls and ogres used to talk in “fatty-speak”. Not everyone did this, but it was common enough. It added a lot of flavor and fun to the world.

You take that away, and this game is really just a slow paced version of whack-a-mole with a random number generator. The combat systems in EQ aren’t challenging. Auto-attack plus two hotkeys gets old fast. Sitting on your butt for 5 minutes to regen mana is boring.

The devs here have done a pretty good job at re-creating the world. Too bad they can’t attract more fun players, instead of the obsessive ones.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I lot of what made EQ fun back in the day was the people you met. Most weren’t hard core role players, but they would at least make some effort to act like they were in Norrath. Dwarves used to slam in-game alcohol, the high-elves would act uppity and snobbish, druids and rangers refused to kill animals, trolls and ogres used to talk in “fatty-speak”. Not everyone did this, but it was common enough. It added a lot of flavor and fun to the world.

You take that away, and this game is really just a slow paced version of whack-a-mole with a random number generator. The combat systems in EQ aren’t challenging. Auto-attack plus two hotkeys gets old fast. Sitting on your butt for 5 minutes to regen mana is boring.

The devs here have done a pretty good job at re-creating the world. Too bad they can’t attract more fun players, instead of the obsessive ones.
They're out there!
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 12-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Sure let them allow boxing, than we can all run around with a group auto folllowing ourselves.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Yeah, I think they are.

Well said. You don't need to be a role playing fanatic, but we have a lot of power gamers who are obsessed with being on top. I like being high end too, but never at the sacrifice of enjoyment. But you can't judge or slam someone for enjoying the game their way, even if it is obsessive powergaming. When that style impedes on others enjoying the game though.. is when it becomes an issue for me.

You will find when most of these people...grow up? Or mature to a point they will understand. I don't mean it in a negative way, we all mature at different rates in different ways in life, sooner or later most realize they miss the interaction, and camaraderie, not the loot. To this day I don't remember players from my first eq server, Tunare for the loot they received... but for their actions and reputation in game. And some, the forums.

Take it from someone who knows, going from obsessive power gamer to casual, over decades in the making. Loot comes and goes. Don't be in a rush to get 50, or 60, and get to the raids, and get this loot and and and etc etc etc. Just like life, it isn't a race, the journey can be infinitely more enjoyable without the blinders.

But that be said, play the game your way as long as it doesn't interfere with other peoples' enjoyment of the game.
Closed Thread