Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

You med 20/tick at 60.

This only works if the pet focus increase the HP of the pet and reclaim takes that extra 10% of HP or so and turns it into mana.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQJubilee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is my understanding that the Pet Canni (without AA's) was only possible due to conjuration specialization. Is this true? Where because you specialized in conjuration your pet spell cast at 11% less mana than listed value, yet when you used Reclaim Energy it refunded the whole listed mana (200 mana) per pet? If true, then it looks like you could get 20 extra mana per pet cannibalize (up to level 50). I guess that is semi-fast since you could get one pet cannibalize cycle done per 2 ticks...so an extra 10 per tick...almost like Clarity.

In the 50's once pet costs increase to 400 mana it would double to 20 per tick. I'm wondering why this trick didn't work with Necro pets?
I don't think that was it. The amount returned by Reclaim Energy is based in the pet's hp, so the earth pet was the go to for pet cannibalize. As I recall, I could get something back from a water pet but earth was noticeably greater, so there wasn't any question. I'm pretty sure my mage was evocation specialized because I didn't see this as my bread and butter (and I figured if I changed my mind, I could always wipe it and restart it). I think it was just that a focused earth pet sort of broke the equation by having more hp than assumed possible under Reclaim Energy. When they altered it, they left it the same but capped it at 100% of the mana initially spent.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko37qtl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think that was it. The amount returned by Reclaim Energy is based in the pet's hp, so the earth pet was the go to for pet cannibalize. As I recall, I could get something back from a water pet but earth was noticeably greater, so there wasn't any question. I'm pretty sure my mage was evocation specialized because I didn't see this as my bread and butter (and I figured if I changed my mind, I could always wipe it and restart it). I think it was just that a focused earth pet sort of broke the equation by having more hp than assumed possible under Reclaim Energy. When they altered it, they left it the same but capped it at 100% of the mana initially spent.
Hmm that sounds odd if it was based on pet hp...doesn't makes sense that they would use that metric and not the spell mana cost, since the pet hp's all were different and yet reclaim energy has nothing to do with pet hp, but everything to do with the mana cost of the pet spell cast.

But anyway, I asked the question in the Twitch stream tonight about mage pet canni and if it was going to be made like it was on classic, but they didn't choose my question to answer.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:52 AM
Sarnak

I can say with 100% certainty in classic EQ the ammount of mana you got for reclaiming your pet was NOT based on the % of his health. Also, in order to pet canni you did have to specialize in conjuration. I know this because later I had to change my specialization up after this nerf took place. Don't know who is sitting here coming up with all these backwards magician theories but I was very surprised being a Everquest magician player for the past 15 years on live, to see my mana bar not get the exact same ammount of mana back regardless of the pets current HP.
I have played my magician since Kunark came out. I have played consistently in PVP and Raid scene. I have also played live for the past 15 years until I came here. I created "Beam" pulls if you honestly need any extra insight on how the mechanics work for the magician, ask away. Better yet, log into EQLIVE and ask the serverwide.magicians:fluffy channel. These are all mages that have been around since the game release. We shouldn't be penalized because the only Magician forum was hacked years ago...
Old 04-07-2015, 04:53 AM
Sarnak

1 Class for 15 years, a magician is all I ever play, all I have ever wanted to play.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:02 AM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 AM
Sarnak

Actually the reclaim energy spell was supposed to return mana as a % of the current/max hp of the pet, no matter how much total hp the pet has.

This was bugged on live from start in 99 and far into the next century. I can't remember when it was fixed, but propably some time after the pet canni aa's was introduced.

The isue has been braught up before on these boards, but people often think this was like a free kei buff for the mage, wich it never was. And playing a Mage on live i can tell it wasn't that great a deal. just keeping your pet and medding instead was far easier that casting 20 new pets/reclaiming energy for a few ticks of mana. but sme people think its a huge deal to get 100 mana from those 20 malachites, while they could just have sat down and go get a soda or coffee while medding and not getting a tired finger
Old 04-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQJubilee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm that sounds odd if it was based on pet hp...doesn't makes sense that they would use that metric and not the spell mana cost, since the pet hp's all were different and yet reclaim energy has nothing to do with pet hp, but everything to do with the mana cost of the pet spell cast.

But anyway, I asked the question in the Twitch stream tonight about mage pet canni and if it was going to be made like it was on classic, but they didn't choose my question to answer.
It is definitely still tied to pet hp. You get less mana back from a reclaim on a damaged pet than a healthy one. I would guess it was something like maximum earth pet hp for a given rank (or some similarly high but moving target) was intended to give back 100% mana spent casting the spell. A focused, healthy earth pet inevitably exceeds this hp value and so returned more mana than was spent in the casting.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:38 PM
Sarnak

Problem is, that the fact that you Got more mana back from a focused pet was a glitch in how the mana returned was calculated. Just like Many other glitched, like item and spell melee haste was multiplicated instead of added untill start kunark.
It was never intentet to be able to return more mana than what the pet summon used.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Kobold

We can argue all day whether it was a bug or intended. P99 is supposed to be classic and pet canni was classic until the post aa nerf/fix.

Unfortunately, without concrete evidence of the existence of pet canni at this point in the timeline of P99 it will not be changed. I call BS on this excuse. Everyone knows that pet canni existed at this point (during Kunark and through Velious) but it seems to me that P99 does not want it implemented and is hiding behind the "show me proof" argument. Just my opinion.
Closed Thread