Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a persistent world. If you persist, you persist with it. My suggestion is, if you find the game fun, find your niche and enjoy it. Myself, I own the market in bixie wings. Just try to /auction for one in east commons. None will show up. Why? Because bixie wings: I own them. A bixie spawns, it's avg life ~= 15 seconds. You want bixie wing? You gotta go through me.

Sadre
Fed. Prisoner #G677759801
gen pop since 99 baby
parole date: 2029

Do you accept cigarettes? Or is that considered RMT?
Old 04-06-2015, 05:19 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True. However Red is 90% rejects, and blue is about 20%. Most being tagged to BDA.
This from your extensive experience leveling up 6 60s on Red?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Aviak

As someone who recently returned from a 11 year hiatus from the eq genre, If you are looking for a community based game this is the place, everyone has been super helpful be it groups, advice, help and gear. Reminds me of the glory days of eq.

That being said, some of the more popular dungeon zones are super overpopulated, which can lead to people getting overly assertive of mobs and what camps own what mobs, generally it isn't an issue but everyonce in a while you'll some some ooc chat with people going at each other over random pathing mobs and the occasional retaliation train. Its not all the time, but something to be aware of.

Welcome to the server hombre.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Planar Protector

We have a fantastic community here and EQ is a great game. P99 is infinitely easier than EQ was back in 1999 primarily due to availability of information. Much of the challenge of EQ is that it just dumps you in the world. That's it. Tool tips offer little if any useful information and as a result you have learn a lot outside the game, from other players or through trial and error. That information has been consolidated and published throughout the web. Additionally familiarity with other mmos also provides a useful knowledge base. In 1999 most players has no idea what they should expect.

The second aspect of EQ that makes it challenging is the asymmetric scaling of npc-PC power increases. NPCs become powerful much more quickly than you are able to acquire gear to keep up. This problem is however largely mitigated by the age of the server and knowledge of the player base aiming together to make many powerful items available far before they otherwise should be.

Casters are affect less since they are less gear dependent, but even so caster effectiveness lags behind NPCs just the same. A certain level of understanding of your class and each if your spells is required. You cannot simply press buttons and expect to kill anything. This all of course ties back to point one though and the availability of information. Whether you know what to do or not, there are many others who do and will gladly teach you.

The UI is also quite a bit more restrictive than many modern mmos adding a bit more challenge to gameplay from that angle.

Tldr;

EQ was challenging in 1999 and for players new to the mmo genre will provide much ye same challenge in a vaccuum. P99 is not that vaccuum and you are not that player, but still will find it at least somewhat more challenging than other mmos. The more you read/ask, the less of a challenge it becomes.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimmanu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you aren't someone who begs, you should find yourself well treated. The "don't beg" thing is a very strong EQ thing... and I find it opposite to a lot of other MMOs where such behavior is pretty much rewarded immediately while those who do NOT beg tend to be ignored. So be prepared for this.
Yeah, I'll hand a hundred pp and items to someone who simply asks for a SOW and tells me he's brand new to the game, or just give away items in EC to someone who asks prices and can't afford them, but if you approach me and ask to help you out with plat or gear I'll generally say "Go kill stuff, get plat and items. Very simple!"

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Kobold

I've been playing for the last couple weeks as a newcomer, and everyone 1-20 has been super cool.

But if you poke around the forums a bit, you'll see there's a lot of drama in the end game.

I'll probably level a bunch of chars to 50 just to keep the sense of community.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Alot of good comments on the EQ game play and community. I would like to counter the negative statements about the end game to an extent.

The end game is what you want it to be, if your goal is to get best in slot for every item, then you are going to deal with some of the drama that comes with the competition for those items. I personally love the dugeon content and would just as soon get a few buddies and kill froglocks as kill a dragon with 30 other people and there are plenty of other folks who hang with friends, still find challenging content and still get upgrades doing planar raids and dugeons who mostly ignore the drama in Veeshan's Peak.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But if you poke around the forums a bit, you'll see there's a lot of drama in the end game.

I'll probably level a bunch of chars to 50 just to keep the sense of community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaskillz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The end game is what you want it to be, if your goal is to get best in slot for every item, then you are going to deal with some of the drama that comes with the competition for those items. I personally love the dugeon content and would just as soon get a few buddies and kill froglocks as kill a dragon with 30 other people and there are plenty of other folks who hang with friends, still find challenging content and still get upgrades doing planar raids and dugeons who mostly ignore the drama in Veeshan's Peak.
There is a lot of perceived hostility regarding "endgame" raiding and such that stems from a, relatively, few, very verbose individuals. It doesn't really exist as much as people think. The "endgame" guilds have 1000+ members in total and 90% of them are really solid, cool folks. Sure, we fight over dem pixels and we kick and scream about it but as soon as that is done, we are all hugs and kisses, banding together to help unguilded folks with their epic fights and aoe pulling droga to help some random monks get crescent armor. The longer you are on the server, the more you will realize we are all connected. I know someone in TMO who is RL friends with one of my real life friends... I have a different RL friend who is in TMO. Hell, someone in TMO even knows my brother... I leveled up with some of them and they kept inviting this ranger to their group over and over. Pixels ain't gonna break that shit, but it is fun to be competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That being said, some of the more popular dungeon zones are super overpopulated, which can lead to people getting overly assertive of mobs and what camps own what mobs, generally it isn't an issue but everyonce in a while you'll some some ooc chat with people going at each other over random pathing mobs and the occasional retaliation train. Its not all the time, but something to be aware of.
I've been petitioned more times by random folks who are upset that I'm violating their "camp" cause I'm sitting within eye sight(orcs in orc alley are not a camp and you can share when there are 1700 people on the server, and for Tunare's sake... WL room and hand room and jails are all different camps.). And folks who feel bad that they don't have all the mobs they can possibly kill. Inevitably, some fool will say something about getting on their high level character to start denying me kills (as if they are the only one with a high level toon) or they train, or they petition. This is the more frustrating experience for me than fighting over dragon pixels cause they are perpetuating a lie that not sharing is okay, and that I'm an asshole (which maybe true... cause my duo is gonna get more kills their whole group)

TL;DR: High level guilds are mostly good, decent people who play and talk dirty (but try REEL hard to stay within the rules) for pixels and are best pals the rest of the time. Low level folks are far more likely to be shitheads.
Last edited by lecompte; 04-08-2015 at 06:46 PM..
Old 04-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Sarnak

Absolutely nothing to do on P99 if you don't to raid after getting 60. I guess you could try to camp stuff for alts? Kind of boring.

Your worst experiences leveling up will be people that are absurd twinks with boxed clerics (or, 'oh my friend logged on to my 60 cleric to buff me). A lot of people are min/maxing on this server, so you better not choose to roll a hybrid or you will not be able to find a group. Best bet is to level a solo class

Leading the charge to bring back the classic feature /guildwar
Last edited by toolshed; 04-08-2015 at 06:51 PM..
Old 04-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Kobold

Coming from someone who is completely new to MMORPG format (and playing on a PC vs console), this game is definitely fun, once the controls and kybd commands are learned. I got introduced to pr99 by a friend/co-worker who has been on here a while. I will say, even as a solo player in a vast game, there are many helpful players out there who just hit you with buffs. It's a pretty awesome community so far that I've seen. Good luck!
Closed Thread