Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:41 PM
Sarnak

I think this server was better with account sales.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Selling my first account here was a bad idea in hindsight, but it did help me twink my cleric. This was before mass epic MQs, I wouldn't have been able to afford one of those for sure [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Banned

I was thinking about it last night, which in retrospect saddens me for tottally different reasons.. but whatever.

So I was thinking, I bet the reason we have so many petition/letigation quests, is because the server is run so well.. the volunteers and everything is really great.

If you think about it, its like, your corpse rots? too bad, why should they help you get it back? someone steels your camp? wtf do they owe you, why should they spend thier time to figure out who gets to keep it?

But, they DO care... they DO summon your corpse, they DO want you to keep playing and enjoying classic EQ

Thats awesome... thanks for making us care so much we feel we have the right to petition over stuff!!!

<3 ty volunteers staff and everyone who plays! <3 p99
Old 05-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Corpse retrieval =/= camp lawyering
Old 05-12-2015, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion_Standing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Corpse retrieval =/= camp lawyering
oh I'm just saying, that why should they help anyone.. were so lucky they are there.

On live, you could be like, 'hey I pay for this, if you dont spend YOUR time getting my corpse, then ill quit and you wont get my monies'

here its like, 'hey im sad, your my bro and we love the same things and you're so nice, can you please take time out of your life to make mine better for free?'

which is awesome.

and that great respect that they give the community here, is why we /petition all the small stuff.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Sarnak

I hate it when people say we should shut up and be happy to have it, you bring nothing to the table.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Aviak

I've experienced this a handful of times already since coming back to the server roughly a month ago. I think what it boils down to is that despite the Play Nice Policy presumably in effect here, many people are willing to roll the dice on the matter. Not necessarily because they think they'll end up winning, rather because they frequently will end up not losing anything.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

some folks still value their reputation and do the right thing just because its the right thing to do.
This would be good advice, if this were a real community, in the sense of existing in reality and not a game. I cannot in real life simply log on an alt and completely treat someone like garbage (within the rules) and get away with it by logging back in on my main. On EQ you can (provided u dont break external constraints established by staff) and there are no consequences because it's an alt. Who's to know who it is? Stop treating it like real life and see for what it is: a competitive game. In any competitive game the ideas of morality are lifted (again within the rules of the game), playing like they somehow hold any bearing only serves to handicap you. If someone chooses to treat people like garbage (and don't break any rules) if you perceive them to be at some sort of advantage because of it, or you feel you are at a disadvantage because of that, then you can either cry or adapt strategy that counters it. But the idea that you will do the right thing, because it is the right thing in the context of a video game is naive to even consider. IRL you are correct, not not here or any competitive game that isn't IRL.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekreant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hate it when people say we should shut up and be happy to have it, you bring nothing to the table.
you sound like you only bring a bad attitude to the table
Old 05-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you sound like you only bring a bad attitude to the table
"sounding like" and "being" are 2 distinct things. He is right, the mentality that "just be thankful this even exists" doesn't bring anything to the table that everyone isn't already very aware of. The reason you don't see this board empty is because people still think the use of discussion can make this box better. If you view rational discussion as people being "unthankful" then maybe you shouldn't engage in it. Simply put, the "be thankful it even exists" mentality tables a lot of problems, but it also tables any opportunity for any advancements that are not from a place of " being unthankful" to begin with.

Example: "You think p99 staff should have to offer raid supervision and rulings? You should just be thankful you can raid!"

Result: No GM rulings, no sense of accountability instilled. The raid scene is worse off and no one has a raid scene to be even be thankful for. Great.

Conclusion: be thankful, but don't think voicing an opinion in a rational manner constitutes not being thankful. You can still be thankful and voice an opinion that this server is run by a bunch of idiots or a bunch of genius. The distinction is made when you have a possible solution to your problem that you couple it with. Your "just be thankful" mentality offers no solutions, or possibility of fixing things beyond the state they were created.

Finally, the assumption that the staff were drafted or compelled/coerced into their positions. This is a volunteer position, they wanted to be where they are, the idea that they "give up" free time isn't true in the sense you portray it. They gave up that portion of their free time when they applied for the position, and they are free to take it back the minute they don't feel it was necessary. No one has Sirken chained up and is shocking him with a cattle prod until he gets back to the keyboard to "give up" more free time, stop acting like it.
Last edited by kenzar; 05-12-2015 at 07:50 PM..
Closed Thread