Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Orc

Default Lowbie warrior can't hold aggro?

Hey guys, I'm in a trio and trying to figure out how I can help outfit our warrior.
Our trio is a cleric, rogue, and warrior, and the rogue very much holds aggro almost
the entire time. Warrior spams taunt (When the aggro is not pointed at him, which is always), and gets about 44 damage in crits occasionally, (level 14).

The rogue has a small dragonbone shard, doing 22dmg pretty consistently on normal hits. Does 88 on backstab.
The warrior has a jade broadsword? The crescent can-opener thing, occasionally doing the cap of 22, but mostly staying between 12-18.

I'm trying to figure out how to help the tank hold aggro, I figure he needs to do more consistent damage, what would be the best weapon for me to get him? My total budget is around 1k. Should he use 2H or 1H? Should he dual wield now that he's able?

Or does the rogue just need to calm down, and not stab things for a good 30 seconds after the mob arrives? Cause at this point I'm ready to just make the warrior hand over all the AC rings and such I got him to the rogue, cause it sure isn't helping him and my mana is going to waste.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:50 AM
Banned

Warrior is garbage at holding aggro without clickys. Your best bet is get 2 weapons with procs. You should have rolled sk/pally which both have lom insta aggro spells.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:56 AM
Planar Protector

agro/hate from melee does not rely on how much damage you actually do, nor even whether you hit the mob. Melee agro is on a per swing basis and the amount is fixed based on the weapon damage and the attacker's level-based damage bonus (damage bonu does not apply until L28 and above). Melee threat for 1h weapons is [2x base damage + level bonus] per swing, a miss is as much hate as a max damage crit.

Backstab is a big chunk of agro, that's part of your issue.

The rogue needs to use his evade ability to reduce his agro, evade is accomplished by stopping auto-attack & using Hide, so 3 key taps (third is to resume auto-attack.) A successful evade will reduce the rogue's agro from that mob by a small but significant amount.

So if your rogue is using backstab at every opportunity and not using his evade ability, and the rogue and warrior are using weapons with very similar melee hate generation, yeah the rogue is gonna take agro with his first backstab and rarely lose it.

Taunt fails a lot at low level, hell it fails a lot a high level, better to say taunt fails most of the time at low level. Don't expect great things from Taunt, it's important but it fails a lot.

If you root an NPC it will attack the nearest target on its hate list, so if the warrior is on top of a rooted mob and the rogue is at max melee range the warrior will be tanking. Root only works well against mobs several levels lower than the caster as the chance of a resist or an early break is heavily affected by relative level. Root can break early on each server tick (every 6 seconds), and also when a rooted mob is hit by spell direct damage (as from your Furor spell) it gets an extra chance to break the root with a bonus to do so.

hth
Old 08-27-2015, 03:26 AM
Planar Protector

get a staff of battle

i can give you 1k to buy one if you need
Old 08-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Sarnak

i dont know what level you guys are or how much plat you have but grabbing the warrior a pair of http://wiki.project1999.com/Obsidian_Shard would help his aggro alot. they go for about 50pp per.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

If there's aggro troubles its probably worth the cleric's time to cast a L5 root, then just make sure you're hugging the mob and the rogue is stood back.

Also worth mentioning to the rogue is he needs to evade!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Orc

Thanks folks, that helps a lot. Rogue IS using evade when he can, sounds like we're doing that right (gives him the message you try to duck from battle and such).

His per swing damage threat is a lot higher than the tanks yeah, with that calculation. Pretty much the moment he starts swinging he gets aggro. I'll look into that staff of battle.

Thanks for the offer Eisley! I do have 1k to spare for my warrior pal. The staff is just so boring haha, I was hoping there might be something else to buy instead that would have similar threat generation.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Root ^^ SoB is probably best upgrade. Could so pick up a pair of skorpicus claw I lakers on the cheap, but those no proc until 30 or so I think.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

Invite a Ranger for CC. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

I would get a Jarsath Trident (50p) for his primary and use the Green Jade Broadsword in offhand. Make sure the warrior is standing in front of the mob when he taunts, is only taunting when he doesn't have aggro, and is as close a possible to the mob for the entire fight. I also only kick immediately after a taunt. A great deal of aggro responsibility is on the rogue by making an evade hotkey (attack off + hide + attack on) When the warrior doesn't have aggro he should drink 2-3 booze until he does. Cleric roots obviously help a ton.

My last bit of advice is to consider adding a pet class to the group, especially a charm pet. Pets generate massive aggro and do not tank if a PC is in range. Warrior's taunt is helped greatly by taunting that aggro from the pet.
Closed Thread