Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 04:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaela [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Workaround for that workaround also posted.
Heh, I guess there is always a hack somehow in this day and age. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Kobold

Wow, the time people waste over thier preferred pixels is astounding.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsorgen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not time wasted if you get the result you desire. That said, I'm happy people found away the Luclin model block. People should be able to play the game how they wish.
Moollah Muckwater, Swamp Hag, 4th Eye of Fear
Old 09-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsorgen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ really is a waste
Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Aviak

The Luclin models offer higher resolution textures and higher polygon-count meshes. That's great for still images like screen shots.

But that is literally all they have going for them. Why do I never see anybody mention how terribly they're animated? They run - and I hate to use such a stupid phrase - quite literally like they have a stick in their ass. They run like their joints aren't meant for full ranges of motion. They attack like they are swatting a misbehaving child on the wrist. They swing swords like they are weightless.

Does nobody else notice this? What good are more polygons and high res textures if they are being applied to stiff, unnatural stick figures? Am I taking crazy pills?

Not to mention the art direction of the Luclin models doesn't fit the world of Norrath. The Tolkien/AD&D inspired world of Norrath. Haflings with pink hair? Elves with neon green hair? These things don't belong. They don't fit. It doesn't help that the higher polygon models stand out like a sore thumb against the backdrop of low polygon environments with muddy textures. Worse still, some NPCs are forced to display as old models even if you have new models enabled. You're a Luclin halfling talking to an old-world halfling NPC. You don't even look like the same species.

The models on their own merit, outside the scope of EQ, are fine. Especially for a game from 2001. But they fit in the world of EverQuest about as cohesively as laser guns would. Lasers are great, but not in a high fantasy setting.

I'm probably the only person that cares about cohesion. I guess I am taking crazy pills.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Fire Giant

Agreed Andvarion. The only Luclin models I really like and had turned on before the devs ordered them off, was the troll and barb. I think both were really well modeled and the barb animations were okay, but most of the Troll animations were horrible. Specifically, 2hs... b/c that usually requires the use of 2 hands. The rest of the models were pretty bad imo, not to mention their animations.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiewon Shu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not time wasted if you get the result you desire. That said, I'm happy people found away the Luclin model block. People should be able to play the game how they wish.
Wrong. Nice sentiment, but this is a classic server no matter how much people want to act like that doesn't matter. The goals are clearly stated. As classic as possible. Luclin models weren't available in the era this server is emulating therefore they're being disabled. It has absolutely nothing to do with people being "allowed to play how they wish."

For some reason logic is tough for some people. If this arrangement doesn't work for you go play on p2002. Choice is good. And don't (you or anyone) be one of those people that says, "wait til everyone leaves and all the "shits classic" people are here alone!!!!!!!" Slippery slope arguments are stupid and rest assured the number of butt hurt players on forumquest is dwarfed by the number of people interested in playing on P1999 and okay with the fact that this is a classic server with classic ambitions.
Last edited by BahamutDF; 09-16-2015 at 12:52 PM..
Old 09-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Sarnak

I'd post my work around for targeting rings, buff timers, maps, and a few other things...but i don't want to ruin it
Old 09-16-2015, 01:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeattk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
perhaps the developers should stop being kill joys?
It's classic!
Old 09-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

Even vah shir models look good in classic textures.
Closed Thread