Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:12 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Greengrocer was by far the most entertaining roleplaying character ive ever met on p99!!! Hope to see u again sir!
Old 10-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It doesn't take a salary to get a competent volunteer, it takes not choosing unemployed pot heads / PTSD sufferers / people who have never made it past level 10 / 50 year old single females with 11 cats / people desperate for money. I spent years in the guide program on Live in an administrative position, and I can't even count fully on one hand "bad apples", through hundreds of people who came and went through the program that were under me. Something is wrong with the process here obviously when you have this many people leave on terrible terms either through their own misconduct or other action.
When GMs cannot be paid, getting responsible people to fill the position will be next to impossible. The few responsible people you do get will also be more likely to tell the "upper management" how inefficient their hacked-together system is and subsequently become frustrated and leave. What kind of professional in their right mind would want to volunteer their free time to work under a dysfunctional system of management for free? Furthermore, there's virtually no chance of actual change due to the fact that it's not a business. There's no revenue to be lost if poor quality service is offered, which means there's little incentive to institute meaningful change to the system.
Last edited by simp403; 10-01-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Old 10-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Kobold

Many posts in this thread have been censored. RIP Moregan
Old 10-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Orc

thx you for just left after banning me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktroost [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes but security measures and quality control would be a whole new need to facilitate.

However, I recommend reallocating resources.

Sirken because GM Director and is in charge of recruiting Guides/GMs, training them and quality control. He also handles the politics in game and that's all he has to do (it will be a cushy, but full time job ((making work schedules, prioritizing job loads, trainings, etc)))

He hires in about 15 new five-hour-a-week guides and four ten-hour-a-week GMs. (before he was pulling 20 hours, if he manages four GMs pulling 10 that would double the resources for his previous workload.)

LOL

Sirken is now in charge of less than 20 people to manage quality control, the server has a central person to get the CSR staff on the same page for rulings and policies, Rogean has to only communicate to ONE person (sirken) to move then entire CSR boat any direction he wants and we just doubled if not tripled the amount of resources we were throwing at the problem. Also, at 5-10 hours a week you would get a lot more guides...easily.

Only thing I'd change is if there was a concern on security issues, I'd throw in a trustworthy GM to be constantly checking on those four mini GMs that have database access. If there are only four of you with access and someone who's JOB it is to watch you then you won't step out of line.
I like your idealism very much, but this is ultimately a volunteer project.

P99 has had very few GMs. You are suggesting 4 new full blown GM's at once now, with 15 new Guides running buck wild all over the place? And you want the already burdened and encumbered overworked volunteer Sirken to do it? Oh my.

Sorry m'lord, but that is not realistic. Unless you can sample Sirken's DNA and cloning is a thing now. Now that matrix agent smith avatar makes sense....

The server would be blessed to have just one more GM. Any mentally stable, financially secure, happily married with a family, and a great career who could lend his time, Bueller...Bueller...?
Old 10-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

P99 has had very few GMs. You are suggesting 4 new full blown GM's at once now, with 15 new Guides running buck wild all over the place? And you want the already burdened and encumbered overworked volunteer Sirken to do it? Oh my.

Sorry m'lord, but that is not realistic. Unless you can sample Sirken's DNA and cloning is a thing now. Now that matrix agent smith avatar makes sense....

The server would be blessed to have just one more GM. Any mentally stable, financially secure, happily married with a family, and a great career who could lend his time, Bueller...Bueller...?
If you meet those qualifications chances are you do not give a shit about P99
Old 10-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I imagine most of them aren't interested in working 20 additional hours each week.

Which I think is the crux of the problem. While it makes sense for Sirken to want them available at specific times and a minimum time committment, the people who are married with children and a full-time job are likely looking to use their little bit of free time to unwind, not work. If the commitment was less, such that you could have half a dozen who all put in less time (which may also mean they'd burn out less quickly), you might be able to find some of the people you think are needed.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrotos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll tell your mother on you. Shame, Shame! Such lies.

The guides/gms who are no longer around leave on bad terms. So they hang their head and go. I think Zade and myself are the only ones who weren't fired/removed. I know I just moved on for my own reasons. Being a guide is the same shit as having a job in real life. There are politics, frustration, supervisors you don't always agree with, overbearing work load that has a tendency to never get done, and just the feeling you are beating your head against the wall. Interaction with the players and doing small things like illusions between petitions and having people chat you up because of it is pretty much the most rewarding part.

Yet you players know how most of the server acts, so it can be rare to have a great conversation with people you are helping. You get so pumped you clean out petitions in game, and get like 50 IP exemptions done ( shit takes a long time. Typing #ipexempt char 321723984, hot keys don't work for it unless you tab back to #ipexempt. Still time consuming to do that also) and you turn around and some dude is fishing real life information about you, or just being a total pain in the ass to other players. It's a drain. Some people can take it for a long period of time, others can't, and the ones left are the ones who really who are afk anyways and it doesn't bother them since they don't get their hands dirty.

Unless the ip exemption stuff has changed, and it should, I think that will be one of the major flaws for guides. It's the number 1 time consuming action a guide can do ( a lot more goes into it other than the in game command). The leeway for petitionable items is also a drain. There is a reason why Sirken has almost 200 petitions only he can do. I would rather be told tough shit, you dropped items on your own, than have my petition sit for the next 4 months without any response. Of course Sirken is the only one allowed to since Deru shit the bed and most likely won't be another GM with database access again.

Yes it's a thankless job. Yes guides/gm spend their free time doing it. There is also a reasonable notion that there should be a reasonable response to issues, and not cry about " omgerhhhed we don't get paid. You wanted the position, you got it. That's your incentive.

There are good and bad things. Things can always be improved.

Also, I had a guy who owned a company offer body armor/fun stuff for when I was deployed. So there are some great people on this server, there are also a lot of debby downers. I hope this cleared it up for you.
Hey how about Ambrotos and Eunomia come help out some until they can get more help! Good times when you guys were around on the server for sure.

Guild Leader of <Asgard> The home of the gods!
Lightyear/Artah
Old 10-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Ahh that's where vision casting comes in.

The very reason that you are skeptical is the reason it works. A plan that draws skepticism also draws interest. If you can sure the cracks and convince someone beyond their initial skepticism they become an advocate.

Cast the final product wide and strong. How many people on this server want a community where GMs are empowered and free of the burdensome grind that keep them locked up?

How many frustrated guides are fed up with being bogged down by IP exemptions-- knowing that 50% of their good work is going to malicious cheaters. Are they fed up with a constant inbox that never seems to go down? Don't guides want their time to be helping resolve petitions? Don't players want petitions resolved in under a 4 month period?

If the vision has value and the process is workable (assume for a moment the resources are there) then the volunteers will come. Don't presume to stifle the community's devotion--even on this thread two people said they would do it if they could give 5 hours. With a strong vision they believed in I bet they'd even be willing to give more.

I raise over 20 million a year through non profits to keep daily operations running by helping them organize and structure their infrastructure and external marketing. Blah, blah, blah, it works.

Leaders can't be afraid to make the changes necessary. They have to believe confidently in their vision for a successful system. If their system works, their belief is infectious and they are confident to their core things like Apple Inc. are created out of a kids garage.

Anyway, it's not like anything will be changed on this forum, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Sarnak

#BringBackUthgaard2015