Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:36 PM
Banned

hmm I didnt know about the encyclopedia.. not easy to get indeed..
Old 08-31-2015, 09:36 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Is spectre pet > non mage epic pets? really? cool. is it because of lifetap? dmg? hp? something else? is that with focus items for both?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is spectre pet > non mage epic pets? really? cool. is it because of lifetap? dmg? hp? something else? is that with focus items for both?
I think Teppler was inferring that the necro class is stronger in general than a mage. More versatile and much greater survivability.

Pet for pet, mage pets tend to be stronger. But class vs class, necro would probably be the preferred choice.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Planar Protector

If you're trying to decide which class to roll, go necro instead of mage. You'll be glad you did.

There are few (if any) things that Mages (even epic) can solo that Necros can't. Not sure I can think of any (not involving weird ass stuff such as corpsing 10 epic orbs etc. And even then.).

There is a HUGE amount of stuff that Necros can kill but Mages can't.

The epic mage pet is great for farming trash (Droga-level or so). I'm not saying an epic mage cannot kill harder stuff (2 chained epic pets kill Allizewzaur easily), but then again, a necro will own the same Allizewzaur without epic. Epic pet is great for farming seafuries as well. A solo epic mage with muzzle of mardu will nearly keep the whole SF island clear solo (without Clarity, not quite clear because named pops will hold you back a lot).

Mage is hard mode EQ because you have very, very few tools at your disposal.
To deal with a situation getting out of control, a mage can
1) Gate
2) Run
3) Chain pet (epic pet takes 20 seconds to cast and 3 minutes recast so chaining epic pet is only relatively doable).

Necro is easy mode because you have so many tools. To deal with a bad situtation a necro can

1) Gate
2) Run
3) Chain pet
4) FD
5) Mez
6) Charm
7) Root
8) Snare
9) Fear
10)... probably other stuff I can't think of right now

Add to this that a mage without epic lacks its most important ability.
Necro without epic is just fine.

Also add to this that necros get pretty much infinite mana, can heal themselves..
Just go necro.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 AM
Fire Giant

10) is harmshield

But really after you have 4) (FD) you don't really need more.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

Being an epic mage, I can agree with a lot of this. Necros are by far the better soloers with or without their epics.

However a mage with there epic changes game play style a bit because your pet is so beast compared to any other non-epic. NOT the same, but it's almost like the mage gets a decent chanter charmed pet without the chance of losing charm.

The DS being 50 dmg makes it absolutely OP. What would make the mage a better choice in this conversation is if he/she were epic and had non-cooldown and more pet healing spells in this era.

It's either Luclin or PoP where a Mage gets more healing spells and a HoT. With the epic mage it made him be able to spend his mana pool keeping a pet up without draining a lot of mana on dmg spells.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

I have an epic mage too and it's simply hard or impossible to achieve a lot of what is trivial to necros.

Epic pet is decent DPS (max hit 81 with something like a 10 delay(?) self hasted, couple of procs and the 50 DS).

The problem is the 3500 (or so) HP's the pet has. You're pretty much stuck with the pet tanking whatever you're trying to kill and the pet is only level 49, so gets hit a lot my bos higher than, say, 45. So either you can tank that mob and have pet kill + nuke the mob down, either you just cannot solo that mob. In some circumstances, you can actually solo a mob, but it will be so inefficient that it would be a pain to do it repeatedly (requiring gates, corpsing, or w/e).

Chaining epic pet works to some extent as we know but... I mean, you know it all as well as I do. If you want to rape green trash, epic pet is king. To farm most serious stuff solo, necro, enc or shm are just so much better.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Just wanted to add that it all changes when it comes to duo. Epic pet + a cleric or a shaman changes the paradigm completely and is a ton of fun.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

I will add this as well. Mage epic pet will make the top DPS charts with Raid mobs. Even though it's proc and cast doesn't last to assist with DPS, it will out or do the same damage of any monk when it is buffed with Burnout 4 and has a mask.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Sarnak

^ absolutely true, even without giving him a mask. If your sole goal is to mob mid 30's to low 40's mobs then epic pet is a beast. I wont weigh in on anything else you don't seem to care from the 1-60 just after you get 60. Mage epic hard to get, even when hate revamped I'm sure it will be highly contested and backlogged.
Gregyn <Divinity> --- 51 Druid
Kaldek <Divinity --- 48 Warrior
Leerick <Divinity> --- EC Mule
Closed Thread