Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by trite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've already commented on this thread but I've never hated a troll so much as the one who suggested instanced raid zones for eq.
Anyone for mercs with their instancing? Kappa
Old 11-21-2015, 10:52 PM
Banned

Instancing is an easy fix to the problem of too much competition over too few pixels; and I do think there is a little too much competition. If you cant make those batphones at all hours in the 3-day ToV window -- you won't get shit from there on this server atm. But instancing causes way more problems than it solves -- and one of the key reasons there is no such thing a cohesive community in WoW for example. Instancing also exacerbates the rat race and demand for new content. This is server obviously can't keep up with that kind of demand, even if they announced going to PoP.

Adjusting variance or removing it is a more interesting idea. It is certainly more classic. The argument for variance usually goes: it was needed (especially in Kurnark) to make sure that there was a more time consuming raid scene that involved trackers. Frankly it doesn't make a lot of sense what this helps. It just makes loot even more concentrated amongst people that can play all day.

My theory -- which I think makes more sense -- is the server can't handle 400 people in a zone very well...so making the mobs spawn randomly makes the server look more legitimate (and cause less a headache to the devs) than it would if it started crashing every Vulak and Tormax. Some people claim that it was to prevent FTE races with the whole server at once -- which is obviously lame. I don't understand how raiding with Forgard or Rampage and FTE racing in ToV is somehow less lame than if BDA and Taken were there too. It's lame either way -- and generally what happens is a raid circulation so that none of us have to deal with it.

However, we never give enough time for a circulation to develop. Because first -- everyone needs to be fed up with how bad things are with server crashes for months. The devs don't want to rip that bandaid off. And the thing is, it will likely return to this state of server crashes even after rotation -- because there will always be guilds wanting to break in from time and time. Some leaders are also more stubborn than others -- for example -- I bet old TMO would just play through the crashes for a very long time if they thought they could win. I think the current leadership of the top guilds are a lot less greedy and corrupted with RMT, however.

TLDR: Eliminating variance is the only way a rotation will start. Rotations are far more "casual" friendly (in EQ -- casual is like 5/hr a lot of times) and healthy to people's lives. However, no variance = lots of server crashes and drama that the devs don't want to put up with.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone for mercs with their instancing? Kappa
Old 11-22-2015, 01:00 AM
Sarnak

Nothing has ever been better for MMOs than instancing.

Edit: Also limiting number of people on a raid, of course.

Talk shit all you want but society has proven you wrong. You're all just circle-jerking over a sad past you never got to experience.

Also, a dude.
Last edited by SCB; 11-22-2015 at 01:07 AM..
Old 11-22-2015, 01:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing has ever been better for online single player games than instancing.

Talk shit all you want but society has proven you wrong. You're all just circle-jerking over a sad past you never got to experience.
fify
Old 11-22-2015, 01:33 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
fify
There has never been a more challenging mmo experience than an instanced, player-limited raid.

On the other side of the token let me remind you of mass RZ raid/rez zergs or any "top end" raid on this server.

Instances or their equivalents are the only thing even remotely equating to difficulty.

Nothing in classic is hard because instances and raid limitations don't exist. If TMO (whatever)/Rampage(+whatever) couldn;t kill it they'd just call in the zerg.

They already do.

You can circle-jerk about competition and difficulty but what you really mean is 18 douchebags available at any time to kill a tank-and-spank mob encounter you already outgear whose only offense is an aoe you brokenly outresist.

This isn't everquest. This is masturbation.

Also, a dude.
Last edited by SCB; 11-22-2015 at 01:35 AM..
Old 11-22-2015, 01:38 AM
Banned

no no no no no
Old 11-22-2015, 02:31 AM
Planar Protector

Ain't nobody resisting aoes on this server.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing has ever been better for MMOs than instancing.

I agree, I mean what better way to have an online community experience than to section yourself off from the online community and collectively reduce the price of anything worthwhile to nothing while helping mudflation soar...sounds really immersive [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-22-2015, 04:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree, I mean what better way to have an online community experience than to section yourself off from the online community and collectively reduce the price of anything worthwhile to nothing while helping mudflation soar...sounds really immersive [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone once did something poorly and that means no one should ever take their idea and improve on it.

Seems legit.

Also that's a fucking retarded summary but my above point is better.

Also, a dude.
Closed Thread