Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Due to damage caps, until L10 the mace is vastly superior. From 10-19, both are about equal, however any bonus str will favor the mace due to the damage cap of 28. From 20-27, damage cap has loosened up enough that it would be wise to swap the Knuckle Duster to mainhand for fewer ripostes, less damage from DPS and better aggro management. At 28 the introduction of the primary hand damage bonus renders the mace better for mainhand for the rest of your leveling career.

Summary:

L1-19 - mace in primary hand for best dps
L20-27 - knuckle in primary hand for lower dmg in (DPS is same)
L28+ - mace in primary hand for best dps
The damage cap applies to the weapon damage. Most toons will see a max hit of 28, but get yourself a good high strength ogre and you'll hit harder than 28.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Summary:

L1-19 - mace in primary hand for best dps
L20-27 - knuckle in primary hand for lower dmg in (DPS is same)
L28+ - mace in primary hand for best dps
There is also the ability to double attack after a successful dual wield. This starts at skill level of 150. Not sure if we have that high of a skill in lvs 20-27 but if so I'd still use JM for more double attack firing chances.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:08 AM
Planar Protector

I don't understand the previous post.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Aviak

I was getting theoretical. I'd say parse them to find out for certain.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Dual wield checks occur whenever offhand delay is recycled. It is unrated to primary hand delay. That is the reason why sometimes you will see a combat round that seems to be offhand only. Double attack for offhand works the same way ^^
Old 11-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Dual wield checks occur whenever offhand delay is recycled. It is unrated to primary hand delay. That is the reason why sometimes you will see a combat round that seems to be offhand only. Double attack for offhand works the same way ^^
This post makes more sense. Thanks, whoever was that Masked Melon!
Old 11-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Aviak

I'm talking about double attack firing off of a successful dual wield. It starts at 150 skill.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Which is one of the reasons why dual wielding sucks until higher level. That and damage bonus being non-existent or weak.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 11-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atada [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm talking about double attack firing off of a successful dual wield. It starts at 150 skill.
I know, but it has nothing to do with primary hand delay (I thought you were suggesting to use JM in primary hand instead of KD for more offhand dbl atks, unless in misunderstood ^^)

If you were saying you would use the JM mainhand to get more frequent dbl atks on your mainhand that makes sense if you want to see more frequent atks, but since the base dps is not better, you'd just be eating more Dmg shield/riposte while building hate more quickly ^^ In other words if x !> y, then 2x is still !> 2y ^^
Old 11-23-2015, 04:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is correct.

You want your lowest delay weapon in your primary hand.
You want your high ratio weapon in your offhand.

The reason you want fastest weapon in primary is two fold.

1. You swing your Primary every round. The secondary swing checks your dual wield skill. Which isn't a 100% check rate even at max skill (it's high, around 70-80% I think on a monk?)
2. Damage Bonus is applied to only your primary weapon. Starting at level 28 you gain 1 bonus damage to your primary hand, adding an additional 1 DMG every 3 levels:

28 - 1
31 - 2
34 - 3
37 - 4
40 - 5
43 - 6
46 - 7
49 - 8
52 - 9
55 - 10
58 - 11

This means if you have two weapons at level 60, a 9/18 (Jade Mace) and 14/28 (Knuckle Duster)

JM Primary - 20/18 - 1.11 Ratio
KD Secondary - 14/28 - 0.5 Ratio

KD Primary - 25/28 - 0.89 Ratio
JM Secondary - 9/18 - 0.5 Ratio

Clearly the top option is better. Because the faster weapon will have the primary hand damage bonus applied far more frequently.

As someone else mentioned, Haste is a big goal for a grouping DPS class. I'd save for that if I were a leveling rogue, warrior or monk.
Are you sure?

I have always been under the impression that the damage calculation was a combination of your damage bonus + variable damage.

Variable damage is calculated based on several factors including your weapon damage, target AC, and your dice to come up with a number between 1 and X, where X is the maximum variable damage from the weapon.

So say I have a damage bonus of 5 and two weapons that gives variable damage between 1 and 20. My MH will hit between DB + VD = 5 + (1 to 20) = 6 to 25. This is why MH weapon hits will never hit for less than Damage Bonus + 1.

The same weapon in my off hand will hit only from 1 to 20.
Closed Thread