Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any of the Lord or Lady ntov dragons that aren't dead when Vulak is alive will assist him, and Aaryonar will assist anything else in NToV before he dies...so they would have to be kited (illegal to kite a raid mob) or killed before Vulak can die. Right now, because of 16 hour variance and a lack of sim repops, the windows of all of the big Velious targets including all of NToV are spread out from Friday to Tuesday night. As the windows are currently situated, it is only possible that Lord Vyemm would pop and stay alive before Vulak pops (and not very likely that he will), so Vulak is almost always (currently) a solo fight. He takes 5-10 minutes to kill and depending on how clean the FTE pull/train down are, it could take another 5-10 minutes to get him in to camp.

Rampage is currently evenly contested by the Forsaken/Asgard. Rampage has a slight lead so far this week, but last week Forsaken/Asgard went something like 14 of 19 in direct competition with Rampage. That sounds like a humble brag but the reason I'm posting that is to show to you that Rampage does not have free reign outside of ST anymore. They have to compete and fight for every dragon. Asgard/Forsaken have one shotted Vyemm right in front of them and very rarely wipe once a dragon is in camp, so Rampage is forced to respect the threat and perform at a high level. Gone are the days where they could pick and choose and leave tough targets up.
Even better. My one big concern was that Rampage would be able to pass on some of the harder NToV targets because no one else will go after them. Good work!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Sarnak

And that only lends itself better to the fact that No Variance + Random Repops (to mix up whose play window the targets are in, every few weeks) would do wonders to help out smaller guilds get some raid targets. Forces the big guys to contest for the most important mobs while the smaller guilds can do Old World + Kunark stuff.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Fire Giant

So since we are now having a healthy discussion why do you think variance should be increased? Say to +/-16 hrs? I know some of you said the variance needed to stay or be extended.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So since we are now having a healthy discussion why do you think variance should be increased? Say to +/-16 hrs? I know some of you said the variance needed to stay or be extended.
The only "benefit" I can see to extending variance is that it will spread out spawns more. However, this only benefits the larger guilds that can field a force to sock and raid at all hours of the day.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Longer variance would just spread the windows out even farther, and believe it or not, a 32 hour long window would still be tracked and/or sometimes socked by the big guilds. Thats how bad the sickness is.

What people don't seem to understand is that there are a lot of hardcores that play this game that just want it more than you do. They have the time, resources, and backwards priorities necessary to make their pixel dreams come true. The ONLY thing keeping them from tracking and killing that mob you want to kill is the mob they want to kill more having a chance to spawn at the same time.

TL;DR Someone should be documenting this whole thing as a social experiment.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The ONLY thing keeping them from tracking and killing that mob you want to kill is the mob they want to kill more having a chance to spawn at the same time.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Rampage is currently evenly contested by the Forsaken/Asgard. Rampage has a slight lead so far this week, but last week Forsaken/Asgard went something like 14 of 19 in direct competition with Rampage. That sounds like a humble brag but the reason I'm posting that is to show to you that Rampage does not have free reign outside of ST anymore. They have to compete and fight for every dragon. Asgard/Forsaken have one shotted Vyemm right in front of them and very rarely wipe once a dragon is in camp, so Rampage is forced to respect the threat and perform at a high level. Gone are the days where they could pick and choose and leave tough targets up.
Congrats by the way.

I think variance is a mistaken question, other than debating to say no variance. Variance is variance is variance. It results in batphonology. Deal, amirite?

I think a more interesting option, is maintaining or even increasing variance, but implementing more periodic but limited earthquakes, which would reset windows.

Earthquakes are fun. Can we agree on that? I would gladly trade increased earthquakes for an even larger variance window. Earthquakes are basically like a pixel juicebox, icy cold.

As to making it so other guilds can get stuff, a pointless matter. There is plenty of content to farm one's heart out on. Dragons and bosses are their own reality. Deal. We all do.

After all, the dying guild bda isn't competing with Rampage. But yet we continue. Like some sick retinue of electronic tuberculosis patients grasping at the few remaining gasps of oxygen in a near empty tank, we continue on.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:46 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Earthquakes are fun. Can we agree on that? I would gladly trade increased earthquakes for an even larger variance window. Earthquakes are basically like a pixel juicebox, icy cold.
Hell yeah we can agree. I think the reason this thread is focused on the variance changing is because we all know how the plea for moar quakes goes. It's all a futile effort. Zero fucks are given by the server staff when it comes to altering the flow, frequency or timing of the raid mob pops. Quakes happen so rarely and randomly and thats clearly the way they like it. If I were them I wouldn't want to deal with the extra petitions either.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:18 AM
Planar Protector

The staff's ultimate goal is to make sure this emu is running as stable as possible. They've said, they want this to be archival quality. They are not here to entertain us.

That being said, it is fair to ask the staff to see what they can do. Continent specific earthquakes. Zone specific. And as I said, bump up variance as the trade-off if need be. We need a little spice in our gumbo. Decreasing variance just changes the batphone terms. It does nothing to alter the flow of the server. My point is, add some spice.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Sarnak

Decrease variance so guilds can fte mobs and get on with their lives (some people do need this intervention).
Closed Thread