Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:23 PM
Orc

Default Magic weapon for (lowbie) druid?

Can anyone give me a tip as to where to find a magic weapon so I can fight wisps? I know there is a Gypsy camp somewhere near Oasis that sells 'em but if I remember correctly those are kind of expensive. Are there any drops in dungeons around level 10 that I could acquire easily?
Old 01-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

Jaggedpine Crook is the only magic weapon obtainable by a lvl 10 druid without any outside assistance. You can try getting a Bloodforge Hammer, but that requires a cross-country trip.

You can scrounge up some pp and try to get something in EC. I am not sure what kind of cheap lowbie weapons would be available.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 01-31-2016, 06:05 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

For the cost of the Combine weapons at the gypsy camp in Oasis you might as well check East Commons and see what's up that's cheap. You should be able to get a 1/3 ratio weapon pretty cheaply (25-100p), which will last you for as long as you'll make much use of it. A Wraith Bone Hammer or a Sharkbone Warhammer are both decent.

If you're hard up for coin you could also ask a friendly higher level Magician for a summoned Modulating Rod to whack things with too.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:10 PM
Orc

Aha! Thanks, I was wondering if there was a quest for a druid weapon. I don't remember this from back in the day but I stayed in Gfay mostly. I am sooo sick of Faydwer so I don't mind traveling at all. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-31-2016, 07:16 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Eh, none that I know of around that level unfortunately. Someone posted this handy link for quest stuffs in another thread:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Item_Reward_Quest_List

But I didn't really see much available around level 10. I know the Testament of Vanear is a good one for later for a good +wis offhand that is doable around level 20 or later with some help for the bandit part in Highpass.

G'luck though, starting out is always rough but it's the part I enjoyed the most out of all my time spent on the sever. That first 3 months or so is brutal but rewarding.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

Yeeeah there are quests, but they are a little higher. You might be able to get a screaming mace, but you'd need a few levels and a good TR group in CB... and then win the roll for the dwarf armor for the hand-in. You'd almost be better off trying your luck at the chessboard in BB killing the king, see if he drops a bloodforge hammer, which at ~lvl10 may need a group. That is also questable... I've never done the quest before but it starts in Kaladim, takes you to Qeynos to assassinate an npc.

Even then though, imo ~lvl10 is too low to be angering willowisps with a lightly armored character trying to melee them down hehe. For a druid I'd wait to lvl14 to play with those little monsters. Of course handing in CB belts and Pads is another good way to gain xp, no magic weapon required... and so you can switch weapons and train the others up. Funny thing is, if you take too much time trying to get a weapon now, it seems wasted a few level later when you pretty much become a pure caster.

But yeah, probably the quickest way for a wood elf druid, if you MUST have a weapon, is to go to CB and farm a few bags of belts, sell them in gfay 2pp ea then go to the EC tunnel and buy something for ~20pp not counting porter tips.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Orc

Now that you mention it, I think I remember having my lvl 14 spells when I was killing wisps on live. The Wiki lists a wisp quest starting around lvl 10 or so.. so I was excited that I might be able to bypass Crushbone. I remember spending soo much time there back in the day that I swore it off forever.. haha.

Oh well, it IS one if the best newbie dungeons for exp so I'll suck it up. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

I think 9 was the lowest for them, and seems more common in newbie areas to be low, not sure. But where they spawn in numbers, in NK for the farm, you will often still be getting xp off the kill at lvl17. You can keep handing them in until low-mid 20's.

At lvl14 you can kill them with less trouble as blue con. And since guards wont help you when you run to them trailing willowisps, that sow will come in handy to the zone line.

Don't count on NK too much though. It's good if you have an alternate character to play, but if you only have one character on the server, NK can be a real pain. Prob is on the emu there is a pathing problem/bug with mobs, and players can run-strafe to avoid being hit. People roll bards like mad to take full advantage of that, they swarm kite and use strafe so the tears won't well up dying so often if the bug were not. So basically, you could at times face a low-level bard there (or two or three) taking all the spawn in the area, running off with it all for 20-30 minutes at a time (blocking the respawn leaving zilch) as they are kittens at actually killing their swarms off. At least at lvl14 with sow, you can chase them down and peel off mobs from their mega swarms. The amount of time they hold those mobs, they could have been killed and respawned a few times [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Daywolf; 01-31-2016 at 09:11 PM..
Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Are Magician summoned weapons count as "magical" so they can be used against Wisps? If so it might be a quick solution until you find a real weapon.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Planar Protector

Yes, you can get a magician to summon you a magical 2hb which is decent enough at low level. Note such items disappear when you log out.
Closed Thread