Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:22 PM
Orc

Default ELI5 Tradeskills

(Explain to me like I'm 5 tradeskills) I'm playing this game blind with nothing but a pure passion for Everquest. I didn't get very far with tradeskills in c. 2001 because I was just having too much fun trolling general chat and wood elves in Gfay but now I'm back again and wondering what's the best way to level up tradeskills? What's the route an armor wearer should take? Blacksmithing, jewel crafting? I guess everyone should take up baking and brewing? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:46 PM
Kobold

If you're pragmatic, don't bother with the tradeskills until you are higher level and have money to burn. If you must and also need some armor, tailoring is easy and practical to make poor quality leather armor. Combine a ruined bear/cat/wolf pelt with a pattern for large/medium/small races respectively in a tailoring kit or at a loom (scattered around in most cities).

It's also very easy to buy sharpening stones in most cities and combine with rusty weapons to make them tarnished and a bit lower delay in forges. Blacksmithing gets more involved and expensive after those go trivial. Bigger weapons have slightly higher trivials than smaller ones.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:14 PM
Orc

Tradeskills seem hard in this game. I don't see anywhere that explains them well.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:19 AM
Planar Protector

The best way to level up tradeskills is to do them as you go along! A lot of players prefer to get it all done at once, which is why most advise waiting until you're high level with lots of money to spare; however, this does not have to be the path you choose if you want to master a craft.

Like most of the game, tradeskills get progressively more difficult the farther along you get. Recipes get more complicated, materials become more difficult to gather, and you need more help from fellow players to make your pieces.

Take tailoring for example! The first things you make are silk threads, silk swatches, silk bandages, and silk cords. These are all basic building blocks for the rest of tailoring, and they can all be made from materials gathered from spiderlings (lvl 1-3 mobs) and spiders (anywhere from lvl 3 to 15). You can create patchwork armor from the ruined pelts of newbie mobs like black wolves or black bears or pumas. Then you can take the silk cords from earlier and create tailored bags (newbie's first weight reduction bag!) and the like from pelts that one might naturally accumulate during the leveling process. Eventually you'll find yourself making handmade backpacks, and then Wu's Fighting Armor (with the help of an enchanter and maybe a brewer - player cooperation!), and then suddenly you are collecting the hides/pelts of cobalt drakes or haze panthers and making truly high end armor as you adventure!

As you can see, they're progressive and you can take on the task of leveling up a tradeskill in tandem with leveling yourself up. If you don't choose to do that and instead level it up all at once, you can help poor newbies along in the process by buying the materials they collect, which will help them buy their spells or some good gear and continue on with their own adventures.

Currently on this server, you can only master 1 tradeskill past 200. The most popular right now are jewelcraft (for enchanters, generally), tailoring (which is extremely difficult near the end) and smithing (cultural). The rest can be done for roleplay purposes (rangers who fletch, dwarves who brew, and halflings who bake, for example), although some quests may require mastery of certain tradeskills (Trueshot Bow, for example, or the Coldain prayer shawl quests).

So yes, they can be really hard, but they aren't harder than dungeon-crawling. I'm pretty sure adventuring and tradeskilling go hand in hand, actually [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Last edited by Sorn; 02-26-2016 at 12:22 AM..
Old 02-26-2016, 12:27 AM
Banned

If you want a picture of EQ tradeskills, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:50 AM
Planar Protector

For what? For the str buffs? All you need is brewing and baking for that. Baking is super easy to raise to the stat food you could use, just mostly buy wolf meat off of newbie visited vendors, like the one up the newbie lift in gfay. Then when you get there, as a starting player you shouldn't have any problems getting bear meat for the stats when you visit EC there abouts. Then mammoth meat if you fear kite them later out in everfrost.

Making booze is easy too, at least early on if you are still in gfay. Later though, if you raised it high, I'd recommend maybe rivervale. But you don't need to really raise it high if you are just using it for the str buff. In fact you could just buy short beers/ales or something off a vendor.

I don't recommend making jewelcrafting for some starter silver junk unless you have an enc to enchant.

As a ranger, you could use tailoring, though not important for a ranger compared to say a druid that can imbue on armor. Shammy can too, but not the right armor for them. But for making tailored bags and quivers it's not bad to have.

A good tradeskill for a ranger is fletching. More or less to make 150 range wood point arrows for pulling. You could work your way up to making trueshot longbows, but that'll cost ~600pp to that point, and you could buy the bow for ~350pp. But between the two you get 300 range which is nice when you are chasing stuff down with aggro hits to close the gap faster. I shoot stuff I cant even see in gfay with the fog hehe.

Pottery is mostly useless unless you make poison or a few low level items. You cant make poison.

As for smithing, gfay is a good spot too. But if you are just looking to make banded, it's a little cheaper to just buy it off another player that smiths. But it's not that much more expensive to smith it yourself, just takes a bit of time. But really if you just have extra funds you don't mind spending on mats, or have multiple characters to equip. Regular banded can last a long time actually, until you do your epic armor anyway. Cultural weapons are not worth it.

Anyway, I just follow this: http://wiki.project1999.com/Tradeskills it's got almost everything in it (apart from cultural weapons [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ). Direct questions, just ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Like most of the game, tradeskills get progressively more difficult the farther along you get. Recipes get more complicated, materials become more difficult to gather, and you need more help from fellow players to make your pieces.
Unless you're like me that would actually roll a rogue and lvl to 20 JUST to make fine plate dye lol
So... poisoning, fletching, smithing, tailoring, cooking, brewing, pottery and a little bit of jewelcrafting. Other than that, my shammy is still too low and I refuse to roll a GNOME :P
Nope, no need of fellow players to make my pcs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Though more bank space would be nice...
Last edited by Daywolf; 02-26-2016 at 01:13 AM..
Old 02-26-2016, 01:07 AM
Banned

Location: ✿Kohai in the Streets, Senpai in the Sheets❤( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Send a message via ICQ to Xaanka Send a message via AIM to Xaanka Send a message via Yahoo to Xaanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Pottery is mostly useless unless you make poison or a few low level items. You cant make poison.
wrong, pottery is very useful (thurgadin gate pots)
Old 02-26-2016, 01:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaanka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well yeah as an end product, but not supporting any other tradeskills. Can't even sell it. Trivial at 122. I wouldn't say it makes pottery very useful, but can be useful for players that spend a lot of time in Velious and don't have gate or port, such as for a rogue obviously that would likely raise some poison making anyway, so use pottery. Though my remarks are really concerning a starting/lowbie ranger here, just to clear that up. In his other thread he was looking for stat advice on str, I mentioned some ideas including crafting consumables, and then this thread popped up.
Last edited by Daywolf; 02-26-2016 at 01:54 AM..
Old 02-26-2016, 02:01 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The best way to level up tradeskills is to do them as you go along
How do I do this? I've been accustomed to games telling you how to tradeskill very easy. With EQ there isn't a guild or anything so I don't know how to begin tradeskilling in the early game.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:11 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaanka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sooper dooper useful for melee... should always have one on ya
(nice little perk for those that can gate too, as you don't have to set your bind in thurg to get to thurg)
Closed Thread