Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Banned

Odds are they will iron it out and it will be a good game, if ugly. I thought about reinstalling civ 5 and I'd rather keep playing around with civ 6.

I'm a creative artist irl so I pay for entertainment. Just cause it strikes home to me nawmean.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:21 PM
Sarnak

civ games are for bitches, be a man and play ck2+all expansions
Old 10-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Planar Protector

@Furniture - You ever play Supreme Commander or it's stand alone expansion forged alliance? (supcom 2 sucked)
Old 10-26-2016, 07:33 PM
Banned

Red face

ok i beat a game on emperor and very expansive playstyle so i officially have clout and some insight into this game's shortcomings. incoming rant.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

it succeeds at giving a good 1st impression, but ultimately: game sux.

by the end (getting science victory after conquering a continent) all i needed to do was mash end turn to finish production of space rockets, but it was taking literally 45 seconds to process each turn (huge map) and all the gameplay mechanics added in Civ 5 to reduce large civ micromanagement have been removed. There is no puppeting, there is no assigning cities to just convert production into gold or science -- instead there are limited-run projects that produce science or gold, but have to be re-set every time they complete (in as little as 2 turns in a good production city).

So on top of the 1 minute I am sitting totally idle between turns waiting for my CPU, here I am painstakingly assigning building projects for 40 cities when there is no need to do so. Being forced to assign all of these vestigial projects is made doubly enraging by the fact that the scroll wheel sensitivity is WAY TOO LOW on the production selection panel. To scroll down to the bottom, where the produce science/gold projects are located, I either have to grind my mouse scrollwheel until my arm is going numb or I have to carefully click on the sidebar slider thing and drag it down.

I had to do this roughly 70 times after I was already at the point where all I needed was to shit out space parts with every unit idle. Took about 40 minutes to do the final 30 turns when literally all I needed to do was hit "end turn" 30 times.

The decision to make playing an expansive civ way more effective (no global happiness) coupled with the complete dissociation from Civ 5's biggest feature other than hex, reducing tedium by allowing you to puppet conquered cities and just use them as gold farms, was VERY INCOMPETENT. I just can't get my head around it, it's such a simple feature, honestly an inefficiency for the player but saves a lot of tedium. Doesn't break gameplay in any form or fashion. I just don't get how they could feel like it was a mistake.

As for the breadth of content, the game gives you the impression it's deep but ultimately the tech tree is half-finished. By the time you get nukes you are already at the point where you need to be wrapping up your domination victory (I am skeptical achieving a domination victory on a giant map + continents is even possible) or other victory condition. I had been planning a world-conquering and everything went what I would consider smoothly by Civ 4 or 5 standards, but by the time I got the techs for fast-moving naval units I realized I was 4 techs from nukes which are 2 techs from space race, and my science output was getting me a tech every two turns at that point. If your output is decent you'll be getting future tech about 15 turns after you get the tech for manhattan project.

Okay the UI and unit control problems make the game sound very flawed for playing expansive/military, but let's imagine you are playing for a peaceable culture victory or something. You probably don't have much military going on, so you are more or less mashing the "end turn" button building projects as fast as the game will allow you. Because it takes a full minute to process a turn, the ratio of gameplay to load time is about 1 to 20. Sounds fun!!

by the end of this game I was getting epinephrine triggers instead of dopamine. I will not be suffering thru the horrid late game again for at least a good 6 months.

o yeah, the final two civics (the 2 equivalents of "future tech" in the civic tree) are the following:

OY VEY!!!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ole_jpn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
o yeah, the final two civics (the 2 equivalents of "future tech" in the civic tree) are the following:

OY VEY!!!
choked on my hummus

Old 10-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Planar Protector

I thought civ was suppose to progress forward, not in reverse towards the stone age... :/
Old 10-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Planar Protector

The GUI and art is disgusting and you said the map HUDs are disgusting too? Yikes the entire direction sucks. Leaning towards civ 5 replay.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 10-27-2016, 12:50 AM
Planar Protector

Globalization inevitable due to expansive consumer markets for basic and luxury goods?
Old 10-27-2016, 12:53 AM
Planar Protector

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahldagor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Globalization inevitable due to expansive consumer markets for basic and luxury goods?
Nah I don't buy chink products. cya

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 10-27-2016, 05:19 AM
Banned

there are great generals you make follow units around, not sure what you mean by level cap -- did generals level in civ 5?

you can combine up to 3 units into an army which has increased attack power but the same HP. Interesting way to mix the old stack mechanics with the one unit per tile mechanic.
Closed Thread