Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: What class are you going to roll in Pantheon?
Cleric 0 0%
Crusader 3 6.00%
Warrior 2 4.00%
Dire Lord 7 14.00%
Ranger 8 16.00%
Rogue 2 4.00%
Monk 1 2.00%
Summoner 0 0%
Enchanter 11 22.00%
Wizard 3 6.00%
Druid 7 14.00%
Shaman 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only reason we put up with that shit in 1999 was because we were ignorant fucks. Ain't nobody got no time for that.
Ya, absolutely nothing has changed since 99. Just because you and i don't have time for that shit dont mean we can't enjoy it while the people who were our age back then can't become the masters of the universe.

this whole, cuz i don't have the time it, it wouldn't work shit is unsupported by reality and selfish
Old 11-04-2016, 08:17 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ole_jpn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
U makin 45k tied to a computer chair 24 hours a day? or r u actually semi-successful but obese?
Double the former and cut the latter by a third and you're getting close.

Dropping a stack or three on Pre-Alpha isn't hard for some us. Cringing hard @ Syft trying to stay relevant like people don't think he's a psycho.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you are all beautiful.
You are a kind person.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angushjalmur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, in response to rick, blizzard hasn't just overlooked what made MMOs great, they were the ones that started the instant gratification trend with wow. They single handedly destroyed MMOs. Everyone saw how many subs they got (because the game was simplified and held your hand) and other companies followed suit to turn a profit
They didn't destroy MMO's. The industry just grew and got bigger than it used to be. When EQ1 launched, nobody knew how big MMORPGs would be. They figured EQ1 would die after a couple years. At its biggest, about in 2003, EQ1 had almost 500,000 subs. Who would have known WoW would come out several years after 1999 and almost immediately have millions of people playing? It reached 5 million subs in 2005. In 2006, 7.5 million. It reached 10 million in 2008. It was estimated to be 62% of the MMORPG market share in 2008. It peaked at 12 million in 2010.

The niche MMO's have increasingly served people like ourselves who enjoyed early EQ1. It's not always perfect and they sometimes miss some people. I played many small MMO/MMORPG's through the years. There were thousands. Some of them were MUDs. In truth, I found my true replacement with Wurm Online. It's not exactly EQ1, but it had a lot of its characteristics and was the only MMO I've played since EQ1 which dethroned everything before it.

Yes MMORPGs have evolved, somewhat. Instances and global marketplaces and dungeon finders and cross-server grouping and lesser death penalties and similar are very popularly considered evolutionary steps up from older MMORPGs. However, what a lot of players seem to not understand is not all of this is evolution alone. Some of it's tied to the market being served. Mainstream players can want different features than niche players. Where a feature is more niche than mainstream and not only evolution, you'll find it still existing out there in one form or another.

Even Project 1999 is itself serving a niche group of players. It's just not commercial. There're a lot of non-commercial MMO's which're taking up the slack and serving a niche audience. There always has been. What many of you take for granted is YOU'RE THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING WHAT YOU WANT POSSIBLE SIMPLY BY BEING HERE. You complain that no major company is making an MMO you want to play, but yet HERE YOU ARE. Pot meet kettle. Sometimes if you want something you have to do something. That's what Project 1999 is. You all made it possible.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 11-04-2016 at 03:32 PM..
Old 11-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They didn't destroy MMO's. The industry just grew and got bigger than it used to be. When EQ1 launched, nobody knew how big MMORPGs would be. They figured EQ1 would die after a couple years. At its biggest, about in 2003, EQ1 had almost 500,000 subs. Who would have known WoW would come out several years after 1999 and almost immediately have millions of people playing? It reached 5 million subs in 2005. In 2006, 7.5 million. It reached 10 million in 2008. It was estimated to be 62% of the MMORPG market share in 2008. It peaked at 12 million in 2010.

The niche MMO's have increasingly served people like ourselves who enjoyed early EQ1. It's not always perfect and they sometimes miss some people. I played many small MMO/MMORPG's through the years. There were thousands. Some of them were MUDs. In truth, I found my true replacement with Wurm Online. It's not exactly EQ1, but it had a lot of its characteristics and was the only MMO I've played since EQ1 which dethroned everything before it.

Yes MMORPGs have evolved, somewhat. Instances and global marketplaces and dungeon finders and cross-server grouping and lesser death penalties and similar are very popularly considered evolutionary steps up from older MMORPGs. However, what a lot of players seem to not understand is not all of this is evolution alone. Some of it's tied to the market being served. Mainstream players can want different features than niche players. Where a feature is more niche than mainstream and not only evolution, you'll find it still existing out there in one form or another.

Even Project 1999 is itself serving a niche group of players. It's just not commercial. There're a lot of non-commercial MMO's which're taking up the slack and serving a niche audience. There always has been. What many of you take for granted is YOU'RE THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING WHAT YOU WANT POSSIBLE SIMPLY BY BEING HERE. You complain that no major company is making an MMO you want to play, but yet HERE YOU ARE. Pot meet kettle. Sometimes if you want something you have to do something. That's what Project 1999 is. You all made it possible.
This post would have been spot on about 8 years ago. Now, there's really no excuse for continuing this casual mmo paradigm. It's in shambles and failing to even hold a playerbase the size of EQ (created on less than 8 million dollars), which is why there are no big studios in the west producing this stuff and Titan and Next were both cancelled.

MMOs need to get back to what made the genre great to begin with: an unforgiving and imaginative world that demands highly cooperative play.

Until they do, MMOs will continue to tank including these eastern ports (that all suck).
Old 11-04-2016, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

shouldn't of editted my post... people more blind than me...
Old 11-06-2016, 05:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Dropping a stack or three on Pre-Alpha isn't hard for some us.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

dropping a stack alright.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 11-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Fire Giant

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Millburn Pennybags - Blue
Palmer Eldritch - Teal
Old 11-06-2016, 11:16 PM
Banned

^classic-style OC, brings me back
Old 11-07-2016, 12:01 AM
Planar Protector

Voted shaman because its the first class I'll play in any MMORPG if the option is there - love the background to the class in any form [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread