Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 09:38 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Cool Newbily newbie noob noob here

Hi there! My name's Armando.

I took up programming in Unreal Engine recently, after a few years working in film. I got to do some crazy fun stuff (check out "Aimy in a Cage" with Crispin Glover) and I have my own film waiting to be released / accepted into festivals...

In the mean time, I'm learning how to make an MMO (actually aiming for "MORPG") and it's moving along swimmingly! I don't really do modeling or textures, but I can animate so I've been implementing the basic gameplay one piece at a time.

Anyway, I've been doing tonnes of research on old school MMOs and I used to play UO and EQ and AC back in the day myself, but I never really got into EQ. I did play a lot of the text-based MUDs and I enjoyed them more recently too, so I thought I'd give this a shot after watching some cool Let's Play videos (mostly Vareous and his Monky videos).

I'll be in game soon enough so stop by to say hi if you want... I still have to look at race/class options, so if anyone has a suggestion for me to hop in with and have fun but enjoy some interesting mechanics, let me know something I shouldn't miss out on, you know :P
Old 11-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Aviak

I came from MUDs to EQ myself back in the day, totally felt like a MUD with Graphics =)

Most of the classes got interesting mechanics compared to newer facemash games I'd say.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome. Be sure to check out eqemulator.org if you're interested in how stuff works both back- and front-end. There are tons of fantastic threads and utilities which can be applied to lots of different game engines - there's even an ongoing discussion about completely redoing the game client in the Unity engine.

If you want to understand game mechanics the quickest, make an enchanter. Probably the most difficult class to learn, but also the most powerful - if you master that then you've pretty much mastered the game.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Cool

Cool! Thanks for the quick replies. I made a human enchanter in Qeynos but somebody told me I'd be better off re-rolling in Freeport because there's always like 200 people there. But somebody else gave me like 100 pp so I'd hate to see it go to waste lol

Anyway, my one character in Qeynos is Erelander and I'm rolling another Enchanter in Freeport called Erialander [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Say hi if you see me :P
Old 11-26-2016, 08:35 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamisandisnt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hi there! My name's Armando.

I took up programming in Unreal Engine recently, after a few years working in film. I got to do some crazy fun stuff (check out "Aimy in a Cage" with Crispin Glover) and I have my own film waiting to be released / accepted into festivals...

In the mean time, I'm learning how to make an MMO (actually aiming for "MORPG") and it's moving along swimmingly! I don't really do modeling or textures, but I can animate so I've been implementing the basic gameplay one piece at a time.

Anyway, I've been doing tonnes of research on old school MMOs and I used to play UO and EQ and AC back in the day myself, but I never really got into EQ. I did play a lot of the text-based MUDs and I enjoyed them more recently too, so I thought I'd give this a shot after watching some cool Let's Play videos (mostly Vareous and his Monky videos).

I'll be in game soon enough so stop by to say hi if you want... I still have to look at race/class options, so if anyone has a suggestion for me to hop in with and have fun but enjoy some interesting mechanics, let me know something I shouldn't miss out on, you know :P
Welcome! =)
Old 11-27-2016, 01:42 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamisandisnt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cool! Thanks for the quick replies. I made a human enchanter in Qeynos but somebody told me I'd be better off re-rolling in Freeport because there's always like 200 people there. But somebody else gave me like 100 pp so I'd hate to see it go to waste lol

Anyway, my one character in Qeynos is Erelander and I'm rolling another Enchanter in Freeport called Erialander [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Say hi if you see me :P
Stay in Qeynos. That's a great spot for you to make some cash. There are plenty of gnolls to kill (even green ones do drop fangs.) One you get bored of that, go to WK and collect bandit sashes. Turning them in is awesome exp (and like 2pp per turn-in.)
Closed Thread