Yes I played in 99 312 73.76%
No I didnt play in 99 106 25.06%
I submitted code/database fixes and I was a 99'er 5 1.18%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I started in '99.
I knew it was coming out in the months leading up to release in March from following the hype etc, but all I was able to play was that Soandso demo )

Being from Oceania I ordered my copy of Everquest to be delivered from the US to my house since in those days 'worldwide release' dates weren't the norm yet. Games were sometimes up to 2-3 months behind US release. It took about 3-4weeks to arrive, and turned out local retailers were starting to stock EQ just before my copy was delivered.

It didn't matter, I was stoked to finally install it - albeit about a month after US release. I'd pre-arranged to use my parents credit card and reimburse them - which in those days was a big deal, credit cards and internet conned dubious to alot of people still.

Despite all apparent hurdles I was as happy as a dog on the beach to be able to make my Half-Elf Ranger on Quellious, learning the ways of the Glade and burrow. I'd pre-picked my class as Ranger from the awesome character description in the Verant literature. Truly a do-it all sounding barrel of fun. It wasn't till later levels that people started seeing them as abit gimped, but by then I'd moved on to other characters, and servers.

Played classic, kunark and abit of velious, with various breaks in between. My friends tried to get me back into it for luclin and subsequent expansions but somehow the world just got too big and it wasn't the same, so we parted ways.

P1999 is a perfect fit for my taste, a grand huzzah back to the glory days of Norrath - before all the 'newbification' that occurred attempting to make EQ more accessible. Screw them - there's plenty of outlets for that hand-holding style. Gimme race/hybrid exp, naked corpse runs, begging for ports and boxy graphics.

WB 1999, I still have the original box [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendarin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Started Dec 10th 1999 (EQ was a wedding gift)
Server= the 7th hammer
First char= high elf paladin, Kothar pheonixblade
second char= half elven Bard, Mendarin Dragonsinger (forged souls/savage arms)
Ended sept 2009
Wedding gift!?!

Personally I eventually broke up with a GF more or less because of the EQ-addiction I had back then. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 AM
Aviak

I started early enough to remember looking at my damn spell book to med. I'm not sure if that was 99 but it was before Kunark from what I remember.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendarin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Started Dec 10th 1999 (EQ was a wedding gift)
Server= the 7th hammer
First char= high elf paladin, Kothar pheonixblade
second char= half elven Bard, Mendarin Dragonsinger (forged souls/savage arms)
Ended sept 2009
What ended Sept '09 -- the marriage or the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozudin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started early enough to remember looking at my damn spell book to med. I'm not sure if that was 99 but it was before Kunark from what I remember.
That was well after Kunark release. I didn't start until after Kunark, and I remember tanking on my pally in OT in the 30s still lookin' at the book while the puller shouted out the INCs.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Aviak

I started in April 99 on Innoruuk playing a cleric. My guild was Lords of Aesir (later Lords of Edelo after a guild merger). I eventually dinged L50 in late December and got my full set of purple Hate armour around about the time of Kunark. I eventually retired at L56during Velious as I discovered the raiding grind was not for me. I burned out.

I came back with a new account after a few months and over the next few years made many alts, focusing on the grouping aspect of the game. I got a couple of epics (including 2 boxing my entire mage epic which perhaps is my proudest achievement - the PoA crown I soloed in the bazaar before anyone calls me on that!), my Velious prayer shawl, and two or three PoP flags but I never did come to enjoy raiding.

So I was always envious of the gear other people had and never got to set foot into a large number of zones, but I had plenty of fun.

I've been here less than a fortnight but I'm thoroughly enjoying P99. I'd love to play for hours on end like I used to but alas, I now have wife and babies, and they are NO DROP and high encumbrance [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
II remember also that there was a tutorial "zone" where there was a skeleton you had to go kill. It taught you the very basics of the game. I'd love to see that again for nostalgia reasons. I don't know if this was actually online or if it was a standalone thing run on your computer. I suspect the latter.
it was a standalone.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F0ErchwGqR8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Kobold

I was in 4th or 5th grade and I was at my neighbours house.(only place I could play video games) and we use to play Tanaris an online tank game also made by Verent. My buddies dad was a hotshot at the game and he got to beta test from the beginning. I remember he made a half elf druid and I was making fun of how stupid the trees looked. Needless to say we finally started playing and I was HOOKED. All I could think about in class was ny barbarian warrior and what adventures I would get into in everfrost and the dreaded blackburrow in school. Well my friend went to live with his mom in the summers so I had to go every summer with no eq until I finally got my own computer. But I digress, yes I was a 99'r
Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Orc

Dwarf Paladin, I drowned in the fountain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Planar Protector

I beta tested the game. It was awesome.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Kobold

We started on day 1 on Bristlebane server. Was a mess those first two weeks.
Closed Thread