Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Banned

still waiting for pics of wife playing
Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

If you hear your wife listening to this song; while you are playing EQ one day... log out.
https://youtu.be/ph9NQ8ASmX4?t=1
I have to burn my keyboard now for linking that, so take this advice seriously!
Old 04-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Aviak

Real life is pretty lame for everyone their isn't really much to do outside of normal every day stuff. Most people sit at home when they are not at work. Whats wrong with playing EQ to pass time? Every game is addicting i have friends that log on their ps4 and play CoD 8 hours day friends that play WoW. Shit I got friends that read 8 hours a day. It's all the same. I could go to the gym 8 hours a day,.i know people that do when they are not at work Is that meaning they are addicted to working out? I know females that i work with that spend all their time at the mall when they are not at work. It's just how you feel about spending your down time.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclements87 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Real life is pretty lame for everyone their isn't really much to do outside of normal every day stuff. Most people sit at home when they are not at work. Whats wrong with playing EQ to pass time? Every game is addicting i have friends that log on their ps4 and play CoD 8 hours day friends that play WoW. Shit I got friends that read 8 hours a day. It's all the same. I could go to the gym 8 hours a day,.i know people that do when they are not at work Is that meaning they are addicted to working out? I know females that i work with that spend all their time at the mall when they are not at work. It's just how you feel about spending your down time.
The 5 stages of grief and loss are: 1. Denial and isolation; 2. Anger; 3. Bargaining; 4. Depression; 5. Acceptance. People who are grieving do not necessarily go through the stages in the same order or experience all of them.

1. Denial & Isolation

The first reaction to learning about the terminal illness called Everquest is to deny the reality of the situation. “This isn’t happening, this can’t be happening,” people often think. It is a normal reaction to rationalize the overwhelming gaming addiction. It is a defense mechanism that buffers the immediate shock of the loss of real life. We block out the words and hide from the facts. This is a temporary response that carries us through the first wave of pain.

Now I am no expert on mental health, but I believe you are in the first stage called "denial," regarding your EQ addiction.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Banned

have you found red jesus?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Planar Protector

EQ is particularly good at providing the illusion of accomplishment. The game is so difficult and inconvenient that even mundane tasks give one the sense of progression and of having "done something". This makes it very tempting to lose yourself in the game, especially if you are lacking responsibility and/or agency in the real world. This is why so many hardcore players are unemployed and/or disabled. EQ provides the perfect escape and allows them to feel as if they are actually engaging in meaningful activity. This is also how EQ addiction can ruin people: they end up sacrificing their real life responsibilities to allow them more time to indulge in the "responsibilities" of EQ. The more deeply immersed they become in the game the more their real life suffers. It's definitely a real problem. I wonder how many people dropped out of school due to EQ addiction, how many divorces the game caused, etc...

If you cannot step away from EQ for a week or two at a time without feeling more than a minor desire to play, you are probably addicted and should seriously evaluate the role the game plays in your life, and if you are possibly using it as a crutch and/or drug to make up for other areas of your life you are intentionally avoiding or neglecting.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Fire Giant

I play at work so when I come back home, I have a life. Simple as that.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I play at work so when I come back home, I have a life. Simple as that.
This
Ssepticbank - Trader <Azure Guard>
Old 04-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Fifth Edition
Internet Gaming Disorder
Proposed Criteria
Persistent and recurrent use of the Internet to engage in games, often with other players, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress as indicated by five (or more) of the following in a 12-month period:
  1. Preoccupation with Internet games. (The individual thinks about previous gaming activity or anticipates playing the next game; Internet gaming becomes the dominant activity in daily life).
    Note: This disorder is distinct from Internet gambling, which is included under gambling disorder.
  2. Withdrawal symptoms when Internet gaming is taken away. (These symptoms are typically described as irritability, anxiety, or sadness, but there are no physical signs of pharmacological withdrawal.)
  3. Tolerance—the need to spend increasing amounts of time engaged in Internet games.
  4. Unsuccessful attempts to control the participation in Internet games.
  5. Loss of interests in previous hobbies and entertainment as a result of, and with the exception of, Internet games.
  6. Continued excessive use of Internet games despite knowledge of psychosocial problems.
  7. Has deceived family members, therapists, or others regarding the amount of Internet gaming.
  8. Use of Internet games to escape or relieve a negative mood (e.g., feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety).
  9. Has jeopardized or lost a significant relationship, job, or educational or career opportunity because of participation in Internet games.

Note: Only non-gambling Internet games are included in this disorder. Use of the Internet for required activities in a business or profession is not included; nor is the disorder intended to include other recreational or social Internet use. Similarly, sexual Internet sites are excluded.

Specify current severity:

Internet gaming disorder can be mild, moderate, or severe depending on the degree of disruption of normal activities. Individuals with less severe Internet gaming disorder may exhibit fewer symptoms and less disruption of their lives. Those with severe Internet gaming disorder will have more hours spent on the computer and more severe loss of relationships or career or school opportunities.
Addiction is a serious issue and most need assistance to break the habit. I myself have this, and currently not being treated for it (Self-Diagnosis, as evident by #1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9). I can tell from personal experience it is serious. I have also witnessed several others whom are addicted have serious consequences for their addiction.

While this is not an official diagnosis from the DSM-V. It is listed as "Conditions for Further Study"
Last edited by Chanteur; 04-11-2017 at 11:18 PM..
Old 04-12-2017, 01:46 AM
Fire Giant

I dont know how you guys can stand the grind in EQ. I leveled one character, but Im unable to level more, it feels so tedious and unhealthy. Now Im only doing fun dungeon crawls with small groups, solo challenge targets, things like that. Unable to do serious quests like epics. Unable to raid due to the detestable atmosphere. Im not addicted cause I never touched pixels and thats probably key.
Last edited by Diogene; 04-12-2017 at 01:50 AM..
Closed Thread