Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:42 AM
Orc

Default A warning to players!

We need to start a strike against the SMS system EQEmu has provided for 'account security'

I had someone steal my account and although I have this "SMS Protection" I am not able to use it in any platform to recover my account.

They cannot help me retrieve the account even though I have access to this.

If someone adds an SMS to your account (if you haven't already done so yourself) There is also no way of recovering your account.

Basically, SMS does not help you get your account back, and is a way for people who steal your account to secure your account without you ever getting it back.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:15 AM
Planar Protector

Uhh... are you using it right? A lot of vague info here and no specifics.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:18 AM
Planar Protector

what is "SMS system blah blah blah?" I never even heard of it.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:22 AM
Planar Protector

Its funny that the SMS has been around for years and I've never heard 1 complaint that it isn't an effective way to recover your PW. Sounds like you never set up your SMS initially, shared your account information, and someone else attached a number to your account.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its funny that the SMS has been around for years and I've never heard 1 complaint that it isn't an effective way to recover your PW. Sounds like you never set up your SMS initially, shared your account information, and someone else attached a number to your account.
/thread
Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Kobold

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-29-2017, 08:57 AM
Orc

I have SMS attached to my account, which I do not have the password for. And you cannot log in to use SMS, without having the password.

Get it now?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Planar Protector

What I don't understand is you are logged into your forum account (2014 join date), which is used to set up your SMS to your phone number. So why can't you just reset your in-game login password via SMS? Did you change phone numbers?

Walk us through each step you are taking please.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpatron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have SMS attached to my account, which I do not have the password for. And you cannot log in to use SMS, without having the password.

Get it now?
The SMS verification systems are only used to recover Loginserver accounts - you're confusing forum accounts with Loginserver accounts. Your forum account, whether at project1999.com or eqemulator.org, is the parent of your Loginserver account(s), and should be recoverable here (if you registered at project1999.com) or here (if you registered at eqemulator.org).

I would advise against registering an SMS verification number on either site until you absolutely have to, because they're one-off systems - once you register a number, that's it. No do-overs. So yeah, if you share your account info it's probably a good idea to register a number.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 08-29-2017 at 09:16 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The SMS verification systems are only used to recover Loginserver accounts - you're confusing forum accounts with Loginserver accounts. Your forum account, whether at project1999.com or eqemulator.org, is the parent of your Loginserver account(s), and should be recoverable here (if you registered at project1999.com) or here (if you registered at eqemulator.org).

I would advise against registering an SMS verification number on either site until you absolutely have to, because they're one-off systems - once you register a number, that's it. No do-overs. So yeah, if you share your account info it's probably a good idea to register a number.
You are an outstanding citizen, paulgiamatti.
Closed Thread