Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifield [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't even know what this means
When someone takes it upon themselves to decide who does or does not have access or rights to a community or identity.

there, you are now less ignorant! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When someone takes it upon themselves to decide who does or does not have access or rights to a community or identity.

there, you are now less ignorant! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haven't heard it used that way before. In the trans community at least it refers to the people (shrinks and otherwise) who create a barrier to transition by withholding referral letters recommending hormone therapy (1 letter) or surgery (2 letters).
Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haven't heard it used that way before. In the trans community at least it refers to the people (shrinks and otherwise) who create a barrier to transition by withholding referral letters recommending hormone therapy (1 letter) or surgery (2 letters).
I always understood the term "gate keeper" to mean a mid tier fighter in combat sports, who isn't the best, but not a bottom feeder either. He/she is usually an accomplished veteran, who acts as a block to up and coming fighters who are not good enough to reach the best tier of fighters due to not being able to beat the gate keepers who are in the mid tier.

It's interesting because I learned two things today, well, two new ways the term "gate keeper" is used. Thanks to Cec and Poke. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I always understood the term "gate keeper" to mean a mid tier fighter in combat sports, who isn't the best, but not a bottom feeder either. He/she is usually an accomplished veteran, who acts as a block to up and coming fighters who are not good enough to reach the best tier of fighters due to not being able to beat the gate keepers who are in the mid tier.

It's interesting because I learned two things today, well, two new ways the term "gate keeper" is used. Thanks to Cec and Poke. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I always thought of gatekeeper as the guy before the gate in karateka.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, that's more or less been my experience.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Kobold

You're all wrong. The Gatekeeper possessed Dana and was looking for the Keymaster to bring Gozer to destroy the world.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's a misappropriation of the term for the purposes of humor.

sadly, a repost. i attempted this shitpost some months ago. Papa's a biter.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM
Banned

you gotta know when to take the shots, poke, to make sure they're gonna really land

know your audience and all that
Old 11-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Banned

really FEEL the current thread vibe and consider if people are going to have an emotional reaction in that instant
Old 11-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

I enjoyed the derail.
Closed Thread