Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The best thing you can do is get a high level character before making tons of alts.
Says who? that's your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've leveled most every class to 20 on P99. I find it cathartic to grind as a lowbie.
This here. ^

My problem is I done it so many times now. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Orc

Seems like the grind is the reason most of us are playing P99, and not some other game where you can just click the "I win" button.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I enjoy the game don't get me wrong, but i just cant pick a character i like and roll with it.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Kobold

I tend to stick with chars more if I have a goal for them. E.g. with my shaman I wanted to be able solo tough end game mobs, and that goal kept me motivated. Same with the chanter, wanted to go dungeon crawling and that kept it interesting. I always quit characters I make just because I think it'd be cool to have a gnome warrior or whatever.

Arbitrary goals are the only way to make the relentless grind of EQ interesting. It's all mental gymnastics to justify staring at the same room or corridor or whatever for hours straight
Old 11-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippetofspades [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tend to stick with chars more if I have a goal for them. E.g. with my shaman I wanted to be able solo tough end game mobs, and that goal kept me motivated. Same with the chanter, wanted to go dungeon crawling and that kept it interesting. I always quit characters I make just because I think it'd be cool to have a gnome warrior or whatever.

Arbitrary goals are the only way to make the relentless grind of EQ interesting. It's all mental gymnastics to justify staring at the same room or corridor or whatever for hours straight
This is the best advice. Make a goal for yourself / your character. I'm still new to P99, but doing this is what got me to 40+ in live after being an altaholic myself.

Alternatively, I agree with what another poster said about the name of the character. Make sure you like the name and are happy with the stats otherwise you'll be walking the same lonely alt avenue by the time the leveling starts to slow down.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

If anybody knows a good roleplaying guild i could join, that'd be swell.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:31 AM
Large Rat

P99 isn't so bad when you have another monitor or a 3DS where you can play a better game while you're grinding.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:49 AM
Fire Giant

Try to find another game on steam or kongregate, so you can alt tab to something interesting while you’re medding for 10 minutes, waiting 27 minutes for a spawn, or autorunning through a boring ass zone.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
alt tab to something interesting while you’re medding for 10 minutes, waiting 27 minutes for a spawn, or autorunning through a boring ass zone.
Every pixel of Everquest that I view on my monitor screen is an adventure all on its own, never boring let alone "boring ass!"
Old 11-26-2017, 03:03 AM
Kobold

I have a lot of alts. Most of them I have played to 30+ here or on Live back in the day. I'd suggest trying to push a character you like up a ways just to see how the play is different. Maybe from there you'd see a character or character you'd like to see at the higher end.

If you're enjoying it, there's nothing wrong with playing LowbieQuest. I completely understand the clarity of purpose that comes with trying to get a character equipped and nominally functional. I think there are some interesting interactions that come after that you might miss if you don't push into the 20s and 30s with someone at least once.
Closed Thread