Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 02:01 AM
Kobold

I've had a total of 4 job's in my life. At all 4 job's there have been women holding the same position as I did, made as much or more money than I did, and were physically unable to perform all the task's required for our jobs. Equality ya'll.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:09 AM
Planar Protector

paygap:

https://www.economist.com/blogs/grap...workdailychart
Old 12-26-2017, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've had a total of 4 job's in my life. At all 4 job's there have been women holding the same position as I did, made as much or more money than I did, and were physically unable to perform all the task's required for our jobs. Equality ya'll.
Maybe they should allow those women more opportunities to hold management/leadership positions since they are unable to do the physicality of the job you work.

Jimjam's article informs us of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"...the bulk of that gap results from differences in rank within companies, firms’ overall compensation rates and the nature of the tasks a job requires."

So basically it's not so much the position that pays more for men, it's the fact women tend to not get the higher paying jobs/positions within companies.

Sounds pretty unfair to me.

I too worked with women at very physically demanding jobs, and for whatever reasons they always promoted men at that workplace. Sure, some jobs in this workplace were harder for the women, it was a warehouse. But the fact is women worked equally hard at what they could do as the men. There are always lazy workers, but that goes across the board of men and women.

I don't fault women for not having the raw strength a man does, and I never expected them to be able to lift and pack or do what I could do when I worked in that warehouse. Men typically did the heavy lifting, rarely did women use the lifts where larger items were picked. This doesn't mean in my mind they should get paid less, or not have higher positions granted to them in the workplace but that seemed to be the case as we had zero women supervisors.

When I changed jobs I found an environment much more friendly to women and minorities but that was working for the government where women and minorities both seemed to find supervisory positions nearly as easily as men. We still had some racism in our workplace, but that didn't surprise me as 90% of the workers were white and the majority were men. This workplace had laws in place that protected women and minorities so the racism and sexism was hidden but it was there.

Regarding women, There are workplaces that are more equal for them, but I am pretty sure if you go across the board of all the different types of jobs, women will have a steeper hill to climb than men. Whether men want to admit it or not, sexism does exist, just as racism. Sadly it seems people are subject to these traits whether it's out of ignorance or it's just plain human nature I don't know.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:17 AM
Kobold

Women are "allowed" opportunities for management/leadership roles...are you kidding me? Maybe they just aren't the most qualified to have them? I know sexism/racism exists, it's just not as rampant as a lot of ppl make it out to be.

Maybe they should be fired from the job's that they aren't able to perform, how's that for equality? Men usually have higher unemployment rates than women. Maybe if they replaced the women who couldn't do their jobs with men it would be a lil more equal?
Old 12-27-2017, 05:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've had a total of 4 job's in my life.
What a sucker! *hurls large boulder at Krycek*

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 12-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Women are "allowed" opportunities for management/leadership roles...are you kidding me? Maybe they just aren't the most qualified to have them? I know sexism/racism exists, it's just not as rampant as a lot of ppl make it out to be.

Maybe they should be fired from the job's that they aren't able to perform, how's that for equality? Men usually have higher unemployment rates than women. Maybe if they replaced the women who couldn't do their jobs with men it would be a lil more equal?
I think a lot of times when we are not in someone's shoes it's easy to determine what doesn't happen to them as rampantly as others claim.

Your statement of "Maybe they (women) should be fired from the job's that they aren't able to perform" can easily be changed to (men) and the narrative equally fits because I know for a fact I have worked with many a lazy and unfit working MAN in every field of work I have been in.

I checked unemployment rates of men and women and what I found was this:

It is widely known that a gender gap exists in the workforce: men generally earn more than women, and men are more likely to be employed than women.

-Stanford, Institute for Economic Research

AND to provide a second source of information I found this:

Bureau of Labor Statistics

https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpseea10.htm

You can look at for yourself on the stat sheet provided in my link above it clearly shows for ages of 20+ and older, both men and women are a dead even at 3.7% unemployment for 2016-2017 (up to November.)

This is why these kinds of discussions are difficult, because people sit on their laurels and either spout what their favorite "news" show tells them, or they pull anecdotal evidence out their asses to prove their narrative, neither of which are reliable sources of information.

If you can show me where it says men are "usually" unemployed more often than women I will concede but even if true the margin is so slight it's not worth mentioning, even looking at the Bureau of Labor Statistics website, you can see that different age groups of men and women can be slightly less or slightly more apt to being unemployed but there is no huge gap between them either way.

You made a very generalized statement to fit a narrative which is that women don't have it so bad in fact men usually have it worse and this is not true. You can't prove it by anecdotes or by any given statistics, none that I found anyway.

Fact of the matter is sexism does exist and it IS harder for women to rise up the ranks of leadership positions in most fields of work which happen to also pay the most amount of money which is why studies show the female gender DOES make less money than the male gender when you look at the big picture.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Banned

Lancelot your mellenial opinion on this subject is so wrong/bad/entitled, I might have to just quit these forums.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Kobold

First topic I clicked on by doing a quick google search.

http://globalpolicysolutions.org/res...SAAEgLCK_D_BwE

Like you said, you can pick and choose which information that fit's your narrative. I never said men shouldn't be fired for not being able to perform a job either, did I?

That's a big problem with these discussion's too, people jump to conclusions. I think the best person for the job should be hired and kept and anyone that can't after ample training and chances should be let go. It's as simple as that. Sex doesn't have anything to do with it.

But that's about as much as I wanna discuss this here. Thought I would throw in my life experiences in the work place is all. I know everyone's differ but this is mine. I'm all for equality but I just don't think these current day or third wave Feminist's or whatever they are really want equality.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Planar Protector

The real reason why more women don’t rise to the top of companies

The Economist sure are publishing a lot on this area at the moment!
Closed Thread