Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 07:30 AM
Planar Protector

Good idea... Look of fare the server that allow boxing...

Ok forget that terrible idea, all these servers suck... Eveb more than red...
Old 12-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluppo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm surprised more people who two boxed then don't feel the same as I do. Or maybe they do but they don't post about it because they would get flamed.
I think the people who feel really strongly about boxing just play on other servers since pretty much every other server besides p99 allows it.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluppo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never had a bot army in the first place. I had two accounts back in 99 with three or four characters on each account but only two of them ever got 60+ in levels. The Druid and the Cleric.

I enjoyed soloing with the Druid but my main focus with the Cleric was grouping and raiding. I really enjoy being the healer of a group or part of a CH chain on a raid.

But back then LoiO always had at least 4 groups going at the sarnak fort alone. The Giant fort in FM was loaded with pickup groups as well. And DL was hitting the pickup group lottery. Probably 6+ groups easy which all needed a healer.

Now you go LoiO and the sarnak fort is fully popped with no one there. The people who are fighting in the zone are mostly soloing. FM has people farming earings at the giant fort but they are not pickup groups LFM. DL outside KC has maybe 1 group and a few soloers at any given time.

So I have to go where the pickup groups are on this server which is unrest, mistmoore and eventually COM. But one thing I have noticed is there is a lot of clerics out there. I have been to Mistmoore before where there was only 3 active groups (CY, GY and CE). All groups had a healer and were not looking for another. Meanwhile there was three clerics besides myself all lfg. I eventually got a group but I had to sit there for a few hours waiting for the other LFG clerics to give up and one of the grouped clerics to want to go to bed.

That was a situation where a two box would have meant I could have gotten some XP during those two hours where I did literally nothing but wait. I can't solo in mistmoore because singles are next to impossible and nothing is considered undead as far as my nukes go.

I'm surprised more people who two boxed then don't feel the same as I do. Or maybe they do but they don't post about it because they would get flamed.

It's just my opinion.
The issue is you think everyone will adopt YOUR 2-box play style. There are a ton of negative sides to boxing such as avoiding the purpose of EQ in the first place (relying on others to achieve objectives, get rezzes, ports, etc). As already mentioned the raid scene would also become super trivialized (imagine people with 2 rogues spamming backstab, or 2 clerics in the cheal rotation, etc).

Sure people 2-boxed in the day on live, but this is a bit different on a free server and modern day internet. Back on live i used dial up, I didn't have 2 phone lines to play on.

If EQ launched today with broadband internet and easy access of cheap computers you would begin to see the problem.

I suggest you try TakP out, decent population and boxing allowed.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:30 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
The no two boxing rule.

I know I will get flamed for this but I don't care. I still think it should be allowed because it WAS allowed in 1999. If you had two computers (which I did) and was willing to pay for two account subscriptions ($20 per month was no big deal) then you could two box.

I had a Druid on one account and a Cleric on the other. I leveled them both to 60 back in the day but I rarely grouped them together. So why did I bother with the two accounts? Because I loved the idea of having a res available to my Druid when he died from a bad quad kite or a port/sow/invis available for my cleric so he can get to the camps where he would join a group. And when my cleric couldn't get a group I could group them up for some root/rooting of undead mobs.

There are plenty of times that I log on when the server has less then 600 players online and I find Mistmoore completely empty. That's great if you happen to be a Druid or a Monk or some other class that is great at soloing. But for a Cleric or rogue or some other class that sucks at soloing that means either no XP or close to no XP.

Here is my idea. Keep the first account free (which I do appreciate, don't get me wrong). Allow a second account for a $20 per month fee (which I for one would gladly pay) and disallow any more then the two accounts (so no 3+ boxing).

Flame away!
You'll understand in time why further enabling people to play by themselves wrecks games.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Planar Protector

OP, you should give TAKP a try. Has a good population, good devs, and is in Luclin heading for PoP. There's a boxing limit of 3 chars, which is a good compromise in my opinion.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

Mandatory donation of $15/mo to a per approved charity per active account.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 PM
Fire Giant

one sure thing is the day 2-boxing is legal is the day it becomes necessary, cause there will be no more people around to play with.

honestly if after 20 years you still haven't figured why 2+ boxing would kill the server in one day there's nothing we can explain to you anymore.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Planar Protector

Boxers are greedy children who want all the toys, and for all his peers to suffer. Boxers are degenerates who must be executed to avoid spreading the plague. I need more harsh scary lines to add.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Fire Giant

Boxing allowed would be unfair to all the paraplegic, no arm's, non-English speaking bestfriend's / kids / girlfriend's / wives, that rely on p99 for a server to enjoy with their highly supportive friend / parent / partner , to play with...

Who is going to help them when their partner can just box and play better than they did anyway?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 PM
Orc

In my opinion, boxing is the biggest plague on ALL MMORPGs. Possibly second only to microtransactions. Boxing just kills social interaction.

I feel like this server is the only place I can really go and be free from boxing... in pretty much any MMO.
Closed Thread