Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And people are doing this on Green now too.

I think it's time we had it removed from Green/Teal too.
Should be in for a very, very limited amount of time and only way later in the timeline
Old 11-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Should be in for a very, very limited amount of time and only way later in the timeline
I believe this wasn't removed until after Velious so it is technically "classic" but it seems like it was considered an exploit that was later removed.
Oct 9, 2003 patch:
** Interface **

- Merchants now separate items with different charges in their list. For example, 9 dose and 10 dose potions will show up as separate items on the merchant's list. Items with the same amount of charges will be stacked. NOTE: This will remove the ability to "recharge" items by selling them to a vendor and buying them back.

Should we keep game breaking exploits in like these even though they are classic especially when it alters the classic experience? And why aren't we consistent across all servers?
Old 11-19-2019, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

I thought I saw somewhere that recharging was kept to function as a plat-sink, but if that's the case they should dramatically increase the price(s) especially for the over-used items.

-Mcoy
Old 11-19-2019, 04:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought I saw somewhere that recharging was kept to function as a plat-sink, but if that's the case they should dramatically increase the price(s) especially for the over-used items.

-Mcoy
I believe at some point the developers acknowledged it was an exploit but knew about it for a while. It may have stuck around for a while because of how items were stored in the database and fixing it might have been a lot of work to do.

Here's an interesting discussion from around the time it was removed.
https://thesafehouse.org/forums/foru...em-charge-nerf
Old 11-19-2019, 04:59 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I'm firmly in the camp and of the opinion that keeping all things as true to "classic" is, in many cases, rarely in the best interest of the game, these servers, and the population, both old and new.

A number of existing mechanics may have made sense or been briefly tolerated at the original time, but over an extended period on a time-locked server bring to light a number of issues ranging large aspects of the game and its community.

So to this end, I would agree with you, OP. I expect primary complaint will come from those who leverage certain items to make raid bosses "easier". However, as has been mentioned regarding knowledge of this exploit back in 2000, I don't remember my guild doing similar during the original timeline and yet we still accomplished as much, if not more, than what I've seen here with it available.
Last edited by nenja; 11-19-2019 at 05:08 PM..
Old 11-19-2019, 05:08 PM
Sarnak

We have already made non classic changes to items to stop recharging them:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Ivandyr%27s_Hoop

In this p99 patch:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48145

Why cherry pick stuff like this on the Blue server then outright remove all recharging on Red?

If it's an argument that an item is just too powerful and game breaking to allow recharging then who gets to make that decision and how is it even made? There's plenty of other items that are just as bad that could use recharge removal too.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe this wasn't removed until after Velious so it is technically "classic" but it seems like it was considered an exploit that was later removed.
Oct 9, 2003 patch:
** Interface **

Should we keep game breaking exploits in like these even though they are classic especially when it alters the classic experience? And why aren't we consistent across all servers?
That's a very late date, not only post-classic but also beyond the entire Luclin and Planes of Power eras. Oct. 2003 was after Lost Dungeons of Norrath launched. I wouldn't care overmuch if recharging was taken out on the grounds of it being somewhat game breaking, but it clearly lasted a long time in-game, long after Verant became aware of it. Essentially the same thing has to happen here as happened in the original game--the server operators need to be convinced to take it out when they're basically okay with it for now.

Danth
Old 11-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oct 9, 2003 patch:
** Interface **

- Merchants now separate items with different charges in their list. For example, 9 dose and 10 dose potions will show up as separate items on the merchant's list. Items with the same amount of charges will be stacked. NOTE: This will remove the ability to "recharge" items by selling them to a vendor and buying them back.

It wasn't DISCOVERED until later and then quickly fixed. Hello McFly! The knowledge of it also wasn't nearly this wide spread, like to the point of having mandatory raid requirements of having items to recharge.
Last edited by Nirgon; 11-19-2019 at 05:19 PM..
Old 11-19-2019, 05:23 PM
Kobold

Quote:
That's a very late date, not only post-classic but also beyond the entire Luclin and Planes of Power eras. Oct. 2003 was after Lost Dungeons of Norrath launched. I wouldn't care overmuch if recharging was taken out on the grounds of it being somewhat game breaking, but it clearly lasted a long time in-game, long after Verant became aware of it. Essentially the same thing has to happen here as happened in the original game--the server operators need to be convinced to take it out when they're basically okay with it for now.
They had nerfed recharging during luclin by making really high buyback prices. By that time the rez stick was being widely abused to set up CoTH in VT and ToV. And fungusbeast glands were being abused ala midnight mallets.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
So why exactly did we keep item recharging in Green/Teal especially considering how we removed it from Red?
Because the P99 devs, as ALWAYS, will cater to the "top-end, hardcore" players. Item recharging gives the hardest-core players a HUGE advantage in terms of raid preparation and the guild who can afford to be constantly recharging items has a huge leg up.
Closed Thread