Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 06:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you don't mind grouping. Rogue is hands down the most mindless class to play. And I love it for that reason. So long as you're not dragging corpses...

You hit 1-3 buttons max
Attack
Backstab
Evade (paineel era)

Outside of that thrilling action you may be called upon to pick a door lock
1-2 clicks with a lock pick

And aformentioned the most intense part of playing a rogue is dragging corpses
Past lots of mean nasty monsters, hitting your /corpse hotkey

The cherry on top is Hide/Sneak as a rogue!
You can afk while these are active any place mobs won't path directly into you or see hide.
I think this is assuming that the Rogue has good gear from the start. I also for whatever reason was consistently responsible for doing all of the pulling in KC / Sebilis, and I always used pick pocket (and I think most rogues did) on COOL DOWN.

I would be lying if I said Rogue is hard to play, but after coming back for the first time in 20 years I regularly see legitimate new rogues getting out melee'd by casters, and I know from experience that Rogues can't solo anything. Meanwhile I've leveled a Druid to 30 in the last week, and have a level 20 Cleric that people beg to group with even though I'm wearing cloth and raw hide armor. This would literally never happen as a brand new Rogue.

Awesome once they get gear and have a group, but I would argue that if you are going to level a fresh character with no items or friends, that Rogue might be the hardest class in the entire game. Monk is almost certainly easier. If you make a mistake you literally press FD, and you can use bind wound + mend to be 100% hp in a jiffy while dealing respectable damage with bare fists and silk armor.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:33 PM
Large Bat

I made a rogue because of this thread and I'm finding it very difficult to level up because people rarely ever want to group up. I'm getting out DPSed in the small chance that I get a group by most casters. Meanwhile, everyone is at the commons tunnel fluffing themselves and their loot making me feel like I joined this server late and missed the ride.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbados82 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I made a rogue because of this thread and I'm finding it very difficult to level up because people rarely ever want to group up. I'm getting out DPSed in the small chance that I get a group by most casters. Meanwhile, everyone is at the commons tunnel fluffing themselves and their loot making me feel like I joined this server late and missed the ride.

Rogue life is rough in classic, more so if it's your first character.
Come Kunark though that all changes with the epic + all the other great melee loot.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 05-07-2020, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogue life is rough in classic, more so if it's your first character.
Come Kunark though that all changes with the epic + all the other great melee loot.
I think Double Backstab made a big difference too, and I agree that Rogues were probably one of the best DPS classes in the entire game early expac because they had super easy access to their epics (I got my epic the same day I started the quest). Late Kunark I feel like Rogues started to fall off again because getting a decent off-hand was really hard. Like for instance, Warriors, Rangers and Monks who had their epics dealt pretty insane damage because of the off-hands that accompanied them. I was using a 10/21 blood point offhand for most of the expac and long after the warriors and rangers in my guild had access to a 14/24 and 13/21 with really good procs on them. I remember competing with my ranger for DPS in raids and consistently losing after he got his epic. Was really hard to get a better item on my server at the time and I spent months camping a sebilite croaking dirk and never got one, and being super jealous of all of the classes that got an off-hand as part of their epic quest.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinetter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Parked myself in the right area of Lesser Faydark, tracked pixie tricksters, started whacking them to get the named mob to spawn. It's going fine until....suddenly something has just smacked me for like 95 a swing, four times in no time, and I'm standing naked back at my spawn point. What the what just happened???

Turns out that Lesser Faydark is patrolled by a thing called a brownie scout. I'd seen them go by, tiny little things, looked harmless so I paid them no mind and they'd ignored me. But guess what, they share faction with the pixies. And by killing all those pixies I'd made myself KOS to the brownie scouts.

They turn out to be like a lvl 45 mob, and they're permanently SOWed as they patrol the zone, and by the way they see invis too! And they hit like a lvl 45 mob.
Thank you, for sharing your story and experience. I will surely now stay away from those pixies [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-09-2020, 09:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbados82 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I actually figure out, rouge would be very bad fit for me, from all the responses and one of the hardest classes to play, at least for me.

But look, you are not limited to one class. Try another. I'm playing 3. It is going really slow, but at least in my case, who cares, I'm in no hurry to level up. I may even start the 4th one. Maybe. Nah, better not lol [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-09-2020, 09:48 PM
Sarnak

Well, my initial question has been answered. The key points are: easy class for clumsy player, lots of solo, very occasional play time, bad player, player that is a danger to the others when grouping, when solo, danger to itself...

I'm playing 3 classes: Druid(9), Mage(8) and Necro(6) (was 7 but died too many times...)

These first levels, the easiest was Mage, next was Necro and the hardest was Druid. Why? Well I mention something about clumsy player, didn't I? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] You will not believe, how many times I gave Skin like Stone (or some similar buff) to enemy and I nuked myself. With Mage and Necro it is so much easier, since I don't have to worry to change target, since those spells are self only. Necro's leach also heals me. Attack + heal with one push of the button. That's what I call easy!

I'm still playing this game too 'easy'. But I will learn. I died 3 times and lost level because I didn't pull blues in safe area. Or because I forgot to check that 'blue' and see that it was actually white or yellow. Once my own pet suicided me, by deciding to attack much stronger skeleton and of course, I went right into the battle helping him, instead of checking the level with consider and hitting the 'gate' button lol. But I will get better, I will learn, i just need to die a little bit more...
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Now here is an interesting story. How lvl3 saved me from dying one more time. I run into this new player, he just dinged lvl 3 (Mage) and I gave him some change, bags, gave him tips, spells info... and I decided to help him level to 4, where he can start using his pet. So we are at kobold camps, no one is around and we are massacring them. Funny how level 3 can aggro. I though higher level higher aggro. Nope. Well, I was dealing with one Kobold when he pulled 3 more. I knew this is going to be hard, remember, clumsy and bad player, I managed to kill two, but pet HP was low, so I told him to run. He did. He stopped at Druid ring (Steam Mountain or whatever is called Gnome starting area)

A little bit later he saw me passing by with last Kobold chasing me. I was strafing toward the guard with last crumbs of HP, I wouldn't make it. Then he send a nuke toward the Kobold and with his lvl3, Kobold turned to him and killed him. He said: "I'm lvl 3, I don't lose any experience."

Nice and quick thinking, exactly opposite than me. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyway, here is a story, how brand new player, in this brutal game, never played EQ before, on his second day, with his level3 mage saved life of level6 Necro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by pivo; 05-09-2020 at 10:11 PM..
Old 05-09-2020, 10:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm playing 3 classes: Druid(9), Mage(8) and Necro(6)
Next plan, goal is to level them to 12, so I can start binding them wherever I want!
Then in a year or so, I may have another goal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-21-2020, 10:20 PM
Orc

All this talk of quadding. Mid 30's you need a lot of mana to do it which means items. I tried to take on mid 30's dwarves with 1500 hp's and I had to get more wisdom items to do it. This was on Blue.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:19 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Wizard, mage?

I would think in terms of soloing capacity and the ease of play, a mage would have to win. Beafy pets, solidish nukes.

Wizard has the bonus of porting when you get there, but you spend a lot of time on that ass.
Closed Thread