Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OP you're right that its not classic but its a response to non-classic behavior, and that's an understandable approach P99 has repeatedly taken. Other mechanics have been attempted and deemed unfair and/or ineffective in their own ways.

The real classic solution here that doesn't involve coding the game around it is (paging Loramin) player agreed rotations. But for the entire history of the project the resident dominating hardcore guild has decided to keep things "competitive" knowing that they were capable of monopolizing the majority of all spawns.

Basically the guild in charge has no motivation to share a single mob if they think they will win 75%+ of them from the less hardcore groups on the server by socking the spawn windows. Its like this to this very day on blue where we have been locked in Velious for years now, and its been like this on Green as soon as Teal merged back over despite only having a minuscule amount of raid mobs whose loot tables are about to be largely obsolete.
Having done nearly 70 hours of socking for the side of federation in the last 2 weeks I feel like the balance of power is decent, we managed 2 out of 5 last week. And while it seems to have it's own issues my only real point is that 16-40 hours in a 48 hour period is just too much. If the window for respawn was closer to 8 or even 6 hours people would have time to take care of themselves. I know part of the immersion of p99 is pooping in a sock but maybe it shouldn't be?
Old 07-17-2020, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

[QUOTE=Abizmla;3156423]Having done nearly 70 hours of socking for the side of federation in the last 2 weeks I feel like the balance of power is decent, we managed 2 out of 5 last week./QUOTE]

What's the overall score since the Teal merger? Fed's draco is in lawyerquest mode AGAIN likely to be awarded to ST again and likely resulting in a Fed concede of their next two dracos. Fed's CT win last week was a wipe snipe after ST won FTE but wiped sub 10%. And the Fed's own attempt to lawyerquest the last Inny failed in favor of ST.

I'd imagine ST feels pretty confident about their standing on top of the server and I struggle to see a metric where that shows things as even. IMO contrary to some people's hopeful beliefs Kunark is only going to make this all worse too, not better.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

IMO if you play on green you need to make peace with the fact that you're probably never going to see dragon loot beyond maybe 1 or 2 pieces if you're very lucky, or what you can farm for.

There are simply too many people at too high a level, and the timeline moves too fast.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:33 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO if you play on green you need to make peace with the fact that you're probably never going to see dragon loot beyond maybe 1 or 2 pieces if you're very lucky, or what you can farm for.

There are simply too many people at too high a level, and the timeline moves too fast.
This is not a complaint about not getting any loot, or about who wins between st/fed. I enjoy socking a decent amount and I have plenty of things to do on my computer just seems unhealthy to expect people to sit for 16-40 hours as the end game of this game.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abizmla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is not a complaint about not getting any loot, or about who wins between st/fed. I enjoy socking a decent amount and I have plenty of things to do on my computer just seems unhealthy to expect people to sit for 16-40 hours as the end game of this game.
OP you make sense, ofcourse, but just as a heads up the server staff will definitely not entertain this idea (and for good reason).

What you're dealing with in terms of the top end raiders and raiding guilds is a collection of the sweatiest individuals ever known to the gaming world. There will always be an effort by the top guild(s) to out-meta the meta. Server staff has made adjustments to the spawn frequency on multiple occasions earlier in the Blue timeline and even done so with the quality of life of the player base in mind, only to find out that no matter what they do there will always be a hardcore element that takes things to the next level. This has more or less been a big FU to the staff.

The 16 hour window is just the lesser of the evils that the server staff has as options to balance 1) classic-ness and 2) fair competition that rewards the hardcore.

Whether or not you agree with their approach is your opinion but I can tell you that they are definitely not going to change their minds. It's an educated decision on their part.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:24 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OP you make sense, ofcourse, but just as a heads up the server staff will definitely not entertain this idea (and for good reason).

What you're dealing with in terms of the top end raiders and raiding guilds is a collection of the sweatiest individuals ever known to the gaming world. There will always be an effort by the top guild(s) to out-meta the meta. Server staff has made adjustments to the spawn frequency on multiple occasions earlier in the Blue timeline and even done so with the quality of life of the player base in mind, only to find out that no matter what they do there will always be a hardcore element that takes things to the next level. This has more or less been a big FU to the staff.

The 16 hour window is just the lesser of the evils that the server staff has as options to balance 1) classic-ness and 2) fair competition that rewards the hardcore.

Whether or not you agree with their approach is your opinion but I can tell you that they are definitely not going to change their minds. It's an educated decision on their part.
Fair enough. I guess that's the answer/devent I was looking for.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Fire Giant

Adding more spawns isn't gonna stop the no lifers from trying to claim every single one, you need more targets that are spawned at the same time so they can't be in multiple places at once and have to pick their race
Old 07-17-2020, 03:14 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coridan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Adding more spawns isn't gonna stop the no lifers from trying to claim every single one, you need more targets that are spawned at the same time so they can't be in multiple places at once and have to pick their race
I mean, we just had an earthquake and for some godforsaken reason Fed went to Draco CT and we barely managed to kill Draco before ST killed fire giants, naggy, vox, and Inny. Luckily Seal team wiped on CT or we would have done 1 mini boss in the time it took them to do 5 other bosses.
I can't see it getting much better if there were 10 targets. It would just make fed lazier about CRs
Old 07-17-2020, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by galach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TLP's are an option if you want instanced content.
laziest response ever

(tied with tens of thousands of others, of course, but this is the project 1999 forums so the "competition" is extreme)
Old 07-17-2020, 04:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abizmla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Having done nearly 70 hours of socking for the side of federation in the last 2 weeks I feel like the balance of power is decent, we managed 2 out of 5 last week.
Quote:
I mean, we just had an earthquake and for some godforsaken reason Fed went to Draco CT and we barely managed to kill Draco before ST killed fire giants, naggy, vox, and Inny. Luckily Seal team wiped on CT or we would have done 1 mini boss in the time it took them to do 5 other bosses.
I can't see it getting much better if there were 10 targets. It would just make fed lazier about CRs
Amazing how quickly your tune changed.
Closed Thread