Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-05-2020, 11:00 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

this is happening to me all the time. Anyone got a fix?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:42 PM
Sarnak

this never happened to me until after i upgraded my Graphic card from a gt730 to a GTX1660. Now its happening all the time.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:01 PM
Sarnak

get your drivers from your manufacture's website
simply uninstalling and refreshing your devices will download Microsoft drivers
your manufacture for your gpu (or apu) actually tests and validates their driver software
with Microsoft's drivers YOU are testing and validating

or just make most of your problems go away by installing Linux and Wine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_Is_Not_an_Emulator
Old 09-21-2020, 01:29 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I have been having this specifically when I'm looking in a certain direction in certain zones, an example is looking north in OT outpost and looking at the city when I get into neriak foreign quarter.

This started when I switched from an AMD card to nvidea card.

It's not consistent but in my dbg.txt sometimes I get a stream of "IDirect3DVertexBuffer::Lock() failed to lock vertex buffer for particle system" before the game crashes. And I can sort of feel the game lock up a split second before by a small drop in frames before freezing.

Tried updating my gfx drivers and direct3d version, still get it. Havent been able to Alt+Enter because the game remains froze or I get a ResetDevice failed
Old 09-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-23-2020, 12:29 AM
Aviak

I've got this same thing going on. WinEQ does not fix the issue for me and instead of freezing it will toss up an error and crash out if I use WinEQ. I can replicate this very easily by zoning from Skyfire into OT and trying to move around in the tunnel. I've tried different resolutions, different compatibility modes, full reinstalls, updating GPU Drives MOBO Drives and making sure Windows is up to date all with the same results. I did not have this issue previously and I do not run into this issue on my laptop which uses a 1050 TI. My desktop uses a 2080 and from what I understand this is an issue that seems to happen on the newer GPUs. Some people have found that switching to the integrated graphics on their CPU fixes the issue but others have reported that they still get the same freezing.

Bye.

Frictator 60 Bard - Red
Old 09-23-2020, 12:53 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaix1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
get your drivers from your manufacture's website
you can try using wined3d
this game uses direct x 8, so there has to be actual links to direct x
run dxdiag and fix your issues that are listed in that
Last edited by xaix1999; 09-23-2020 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: \_0_/
Old 03-05-2021, 10:22 PM
Skeleton

I have same problem: Screen freezes but I continue to hear game sounds, can sit and camp if it's safe. Alt+Enter gets me back two thirds of the time. If you pause to do that while kiting, you're dead. I read all the forum threads and tried some fixes like adjusting UAC settings to no effect. The freeze situation often also shuts down my monitor's wall paper, the background turns black. It ~seems~ to happen more often after logging in, if I make it to 10 minutes of play it's unlikely. Whether I open other applications, play videos, etc., or just run EQ seems not to make a difference. My GPU is Nvidia GTX 1650 Super, CPU Ryzen 2600X, I'm returning to EQ after a couple years break and this rig is new to the game. I can't say problem is particular to a location, although there some zones where it has not happened. I do not have integrated graphics to try, and have not yet tried dgVoodoo, or winned3d, not sure there is a consensus on them being a cure.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:22 AM
Sarnak

This just started doing this to me this week, seems to be only green server though.
I tried the control panel fix. Still doing it..
Old 03-13-2021, 07:50 AM
Skeleton

a week ago I swapped out my GTX 1650 Super for my old GTX 950 and have not had a screen freeze since.