Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 12:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisofebola [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Must be some monkey business going on with guises and certain classes. Does anyone really think there as many dark elf clerics as dwarves and nearly twice as many as high elves?
Illusions don't show up in /w all. Guise won't affect /w all dark, etc.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:13 AM
Kobold

People often talk about wizards being terrible in exp groups but rarely talk numbers so I decided to do some math.

A 60 wizard with clarity II will regen 33 mana per tick while meditating. Suntrike costs 450 mana reduced down to roughly 400 through specialization. That means they can cast sunstrike approximately once every 72 seconds. 1615 / 72 = 22.4 dps in a chain pulling group in the best case scenario (absolutely no resists).

That does indeed seem rather underwhelming.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:45 AM
Planar Protector

Wizards I think were intended as "oh shit" utility, in addition to DPS.

Evac, stuns, and ability to nuke runners down quick. The problem is enchanters exist, and although they can't evac, you won't need to with stuns/mez/charm/memblur etc. Throw in charm and wizards are completely outclassed by enchanters (for group content).

For pure sustained DPS wizards are going to lose out to enchanters, mages, necros, rogues, monks... probably rangers.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People often talk about wizards being terrible in exp groups but rarely talk numbers so I decided to do some math.

A 60 wizard with clarity II will regen 33 mana per tick while meditating. Suntrike costs 450 mana reduced down to roughly 400 through specialization. That means they can cast sunstrike approximately once every 72 seconds. 1615 / 72 = 22.4 dps in a chain pulling group in the best case scenario (absolutely no resists).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrocat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For pure sustained DPS wizards are going to lose out to enchanters, mages, necros, rogues, monks... probably rangers.
Yeah that's the thing. In full six man xp groups your focus is on mob kill count. Ideally you want to be chain pulling in a full group and the very design of the wizard class does not lend itself to this style of grinding. By all means invite your friend or guildie wiz if you want and top efficiency isn't important, enjoy yourself.

For duos and trios wizards don't really pair well or add enough benefit to the classes that are good at it to justify their inclusion.

That leaves quadding as the only form of leveling in which a wizard truly exels. People get very defensive about wizards as if anyone critical of inviting them just don't know what the wiz spell lines do or something. But its not anyone's fault that this is the game design, and these are the wizard's strengths and limitations.
Last edited by Fammaden; 12-09-2020 at 09:51 AM..
Old 12-09-2020, 12:54 PM
Sarnak

How am I supposed to role play a wizard if I am not invited into any fellowships? Gandalf has had a very different experience than Ethelvvulf Magickfinger...
Old 12-09-2020, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I think a wizard needs to do that DPS (keeping full mana but nuking once ever 72 seconds)

And keep evac medded

And keep root medded

Can they cast damage shields on other casters? That too.

Not the best DPS but golley gee on P99 the 6th player in a group is free so might as well fill up.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Orc

Quote:

Yup, and when people say "ah but wizard's bring utility in stunning those casters" yep...but then our DPS is even lower.

Wizards were garbage until Planes of Power.

I created a wizard on P99 simply because I forgot we can't crit in this era and I'd invested too much time before I realised this fact :P
Last edited by annali; 12-09-2020 at 02:28 PM..
Old 12-09-2020, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Wizards are a mega cool class and one of my favorites. Despite all of this talk. Wizards are awesome.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:02 PM
Kobold

Quote:

Indeed. But it's your maths that is underwhelming. Because your calculation isn't based on real circumstances and doesn't even compare that value to other values. You can't say "underwhelming" with only one set of data, you need a reference to compare it to.
<Aanelenye> lvl 43 Paladin
<Vaalyun> lvl 48 Wizard
Blue chars: retired

Last edited by Exard3k; 12-09-2020 at 04:04 PM..
Old 12-09-2020, 09:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exard3k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Indeed. But it's your maths that is underwhelming. Because your calculation isn't based on real circumstances and doesn't even compare that value to other values. You can't say "underwhelming" with only one set of data, you need a reference to compare it to.
Parse a high level rogue vs a wizard. Tell me who wins, rogues that backstab for 300-400 without any costs or the wizard spitting 1600 every 72 seconds, it doesn't take a genius. Just in denial.
And not the 2 min it takes for wizards to empty their mana bar, this is about sustain DPS. Completely different story, 30min, 45min, 2 hours.
Last edited by NPC; 12-09-2020 at 09:49 PM..
Closed Thread